compounding pharmacy

[Bo...]

Does anyone use a compounding pharmacy to taper? I am using capsules where they crush lorazepam into a powder and weigh it and put in a capsule. I cut every 4 weeks and dose 3 times a day.

• 3 weeks later...
I've used a compounding pharmacy to produce a liquid clonazepam solution in water and ethanol. Compounding pharmacies do many things; I think it would help attract replies if you told us why you are asking.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

So I have different size capsules that I’m using. So I’m using .0125 capsules .00167 and .00315 capsules. Right now I’m at .053 so I’m taking 4 .0125 capsules and two .00167 capsules. This equal .053. I will eliminate the .00315 capsules next

And I’ll be down to .051 hope  you understand this

confusing, i dose three times a day with capsules of 0.32mg, which equals 0.96mg total. i cut equally on all three doses every month

confusing, i dose three times a day with capsules of 0.32mg, which equals 0.96mg total. i cut equally on all three doses every month

From what I understand, Tulip 04 is using her compounding pharmacy to produce a variety of custom capsule sizes, and she keeps a supply of each size on-hand and produces each dose by combining several sizes of capsules thus giving her the option to take cut-and-hold reductions by 0.00167mg intervals whenever she wants. This method gives her the option to reduce, hold or updose as necessary without having to scramble to order more custom tablets every time she makes a dosage change. I find this to be a very elegant solution to the problems inherent in custom compounded capsules.  :thumbsup:

In your case Bobby57, if you wanted to adopt something similar it might look like ordering capsules at 0.2mg, 0.05mg and 0.01mg. By combining a few of each at each dose (ex. 1x 0.2mg, 2x 0.05mg, 2x 0.01mg), you could create a per-dose quantity of 0.32mg and reduce by 0.01mg intervals. If you needed to go slower or reduce more frequently, you could replace the 0.01mg capsules with something smaller like 0.005mg or less. It's more capsules than you're used to, but this approach offers more flexibility for dosing.

Perhaps Tulip 04 would be willing to share what capsule sizes she was using when she was at higher doses. This custom capsule approach might be best done in stages with certain capsules used to get down to a certain dose, and then new capsule sizes developed for the next stage of reductions.

How much have you been reducing by per-month?

Hi slow and steady.I can explain a bit further. When I started my taper I start at 1.5 larazapam. The first few week I got the compound pharmacy to make 0.1 capsules to cut my doses.

Then next one down from that was .0.5 capsules.

As I got further then you go to 0.05. Then 0.025 then  0.0125. Then 0.00625 then 0.00315 then 0.00167.

0.00167 was the lowest they could go.

Hope this helps you understand what I did.

i reduce 10% a month

It sounds like a reasonable rate; I'm doing the same rate coming off of clonazepam so of course I'd say that.  :P How are you doing at this rate? Are you reducing only once per month?

Hi slow and steady.I can explain a bit further. When I started my taper I start at 1.5 larazapam. The first few week I got the compound pharmacy to make 0.1 capsules to cut my doses.

Then next one down from that was .0.5 capsules.

As I got further then you go to 0.05. Then 0.025 then  0.0125. Then 0.00625 then 0.00315 then 0.00167.

0.00167 was the lowest they could go.

Hope this helps you understand what I did.

Hi Tulip 04,

Thanks for sharing more!

You didn't mention using generic tablets but I can't imagine that you used 15x 0.1mg custom capsules per day at the start... Were you also using 0.5mg or similar tablets until you got below 0.5mg/day?

I love your approach to custom capsules.  :thumbsup: Simple and flexible. I've only ever purchased a custom compounded liquid; has the price of all this capsule compounding been reasonable?