Introduction- Doc said I didnt have withdrawals!

[Hu...]

Hi guys. So I am a male, 25, with a history of prolonged opioid use and some excessive drinking etc.

Recently came off citalopram after 5 years, all was great, happy. Then I had a bit of a spiral and hammered benzos for a week or two. I know, not very long! But I went quite hard. Did 20 2.5 mg xanax is about 3 days, 15 10mg valium, and then (not a benzo i know) 28 zoplicone in that short span. Took last xanax on maybe the friday night/saturday morning,  possibly later no memory of it. last zoplicone on monday night. Woke up 3am to one of the worst states ever. The whole range, feeling terrible, caused huge day long anxiety attack. Felt atrocious the next day too. By the following monday, I felt okayish. And through til the thursday, then boom. The same feelings hit again, if a tiny bit less intense.

This has been the story for the past 6 weeks. A few days, maybe even a week of feeling bearable- not great, now happy. Butnl bearable. A very rare almost enjoyable day in there, maybe 2 or 3 in 6 weeks. Then it feels like square one again. Insomniaxl, fitful sleep, morning anxiety that lingers slowly slowlt decreasing until night, dry wretching especially in the mornjng, no appetite at all until evening, muscle twitching.

My doctor told me, when I explained my anxiety attack was probably benzo withdrawal reduced, that withdrawals as a term are 'wildly overrated'. So I dropped it. I assumed the return of symptoms was all side effects from going back on medication, even though 10mg citalopram is a low dose.

So thats my story, thanks for reading! I was sent here by reddit and this community is the healthiest and most supportive ive seen around benzos or other prescription pills.

I suppose my only question is do you guys think it is realistic that these effects are benzo withdrawal?

Hello HurricaneSeason :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I am glad you decided to join,  we’ve had members suffer withdrawal symptoms after short term benzo use so its quite realistic.  I am sorry you are going through it  right now,  hang in there, withdrawal symptoms will resolve with more time.    Did you taper off citalopram?  I would think you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from all of the drugs.  Feel free to browse the boards and post questions, you will find some great support and lots of information here.

I will leave you a link to a support board:

Post withdrawal recovery support board

You might want to check out the Ashton Manual, it is a definitive resource about these medications. It helps in understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body. 

Professor Ashtons Manual

If you would care to add a signature  (listing your medication and dose).  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita