28 year Klonopin veteran about to micro-taper

[Sh...]

I’m a 70 year old retired high school teacher. In 1993, I had my first full-fledged panic attack during a presentation at a faculty meeting. Soon I was having panic attacks during classes and in a variety of situations. So I started out on 1 mg/day of Klonopin and an SSRI. Over the ensuing years, the panic attacks lessened a bit, but I constantly experienced anticipatory anxiety and developed GAD and phobias attached to specific locations or situations.

Over the years, various brands of talk therapy and SSRIs did nothing to help, so my Klonopin use grew to 5 mgs/day at its worst. After I retired from teaching in 2007, I began a carrier as a professional dog trainer—would coincidentally specialized in aggression and fear! Working with dog owners—a small audience of one to four compared to the 120-150 students per day I dealt with as a teacher—I was able to get by on an average of 2 mgs/day. Then COVID struck and I sat home for a year taking the same 2 mgs/day.

I decided to get off the Klonopin after being vaccinated for COVID in March, but that got out off, delayed, reconsidered… you know how it goes! Last week I decided enough is enough and started planning to wean off of the stuff permanently. I unwisely attempted to cut my 2 mgs/day to 1.5 mgs., thinking I might make a fast leap towards sobriety before starting a slower micro-titration of maybe 5%-10% less every two weeks. By day five, I was already experiencing heart palpitations and rebound anxiety, so starting today, I’m going to try a 10% reduction, taking 1.8 mgs/day using a scale and a razor blade to trim one of my 1 mg. tablets.

I weaned myself off Klonopin in 2010 using The Ashton Manual and a slow taper, but was back to 2 mgs/day within 6 months. I used liquid micro-titration back then and it went pretty well. But now I’m 11 years older and I realize at 70 and after an additional 10 years of use, it’s probably going to be harder.

I also am a lifelong insomniac. I used to just have trouble getting to sleep, but I’ve now developed the well-known senior style of multiple wakings during the night,  also, So I am also taking Ambien CR along with a handful of supplements each night—melatonin, valerian, jujube, magnésium glycinate, ashwagandha, phosphatidyl serine, chamomile, lavender, skullcap, etc. Except for the PS, melatonin and valerian, I vary the other supplements each night so I’m not taking the same herbs every night.

I’ve been studying and using supplements and herbs for several decades and every one I take is targeted at a particular condition—exercise/muscle building, pain, anxiety, cognitive health, etc. So I plan to use several supplements as needed during my taper to minimize side effects. I’ve worked with herbs, nootropics and vitamins for many years, so I know how to select quality brands and what the effective dosages are for me.

Several questions I have:

1) I take my 2 mgs of Klonopin at 8:00 PM every evening in one dose.  I know that splitting the dise is helpful when you wean off, but since I take the whole dise in the evening to help with insomnia, I wonder if I should start splitting it now or later after I lower the dosage?

2) I know there is controversy about using adaptogens and calming herbs in conjunction with benzo titration, but I suspect it will help me?

3) After 28 years of use, at 70 years old and beginning with a 2 mg/day dose, I wonder how slowly I’ll need to go to avoid nasty symptoms. I know everyone reacts differently, but today I am starting a daily dose of 1.8 mgs., using the shave and weigh method. That’s a 10% reduction planned for the next two weeks.

I’m hoping I don’t have to go to 5% or less, but time will tell. I don’t want to get hit hard with rebound or withdrawal symptoms which for me will include heart palpitations, chest pains, severe insomnia, trouble breathing, short temper and depersonalization.

I wonder what has worked for others seniors with several decades of Klonopin use, starting at 2 mgs/day?

Thanks.

Hello  Shadowscent :hug: Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

We are glad you are here.  You are making a great decision to taper.  You've come to a good place for information and support.  Don't try and rush it, benzodiazepines need to be tapered slowly.  Tapering slow will hopefully help to minimize the symptoms in order for us to remain functional.    Trying to come off these drugs too fast, increases the pain.  Listen to your body, taper at a pace that's comfortable.  Some are okay with supplements, I was one who couldn't tolerate them , revved up my symptoms.  Please post questions on any of our dedicated boards. 

The recommended taper rate is 5-10% every 10-14 days. Some of us need to taper slower than this to keep their withdrawal symptoms manageable. I was 26 years on benzos, I was given these drugs for panic attacks.  I followed the ashton manual, until I reached the lower doses, then I had to go much slower..

Here are some links to get you started.

I suggest you check out the Ashton Manual, its a great resource for understanding the effect that benzodiazepine’s have on our body.    It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

The Ashton Manual

You can post here to get some taper ideas: 

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Post here to discuss any symptoms you might have:

Withdrawal Support

You might like to post to this support thread

Klonopin Klub 

If you care to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita