need to hear from folks who have had a successful Xanax water taper

[wi...]

I'm doing a X water taper and often hear things that scare me about solubility and as a result of that fact, that correct dosing is nearly impossible.  I am a recovering alcoholic and do not want to use vodka or anything else.  I need this to be simple with water.

I vigorously shake the solution and draw it out immediately from the middle of the jar to grab the particles that have settled to the bottom.

I have not done a Xanax water taper, but I did a Temazepam water taper.  I don't think they're very different as far as solubility.  I basically did what you're doing, agitated the water so the particles seemed evenly distributed and drew from the middle.  I did that for two years and successfully stepped off in pretty good shape. 

I have not done a Xanax water taper, but I did a Temazepam water taper.  I don't think they're very different as far as solubility.  I basically did what you're doing, agitated the water so the particles seemed evenly distributed and drew from the middle.  I did that for two years and successfully stepped off in pretty good shape.

God bless you for replying...you made my day!

I was switched from Xanax to Ativan against my will in the hospital. When I got out I tapered Ativan with water. I did pretty much what you were saying. I just shook the hell out of it before I took my dose.

God bless you for replying...you made my day!

I hope you have a successful taper!

wide sky,

many, many have come off doing exactly what you are doing -- and there are many that don't feel comfortable using the alcohol to create a solution for many reasons --- don't be afraid -- just shake it like hell before you make that draw.  you've got this!

Hi widesky,

I agree with the other buddies in-thread; I don't think fear is going to help in your situation. A water suspension has worked for many other buddies, and it avoids the problem of solubility entirely with drugs that are barely water soluble (like alprazolam). But a water suspension is still made with a poor suspension vehicle and will always carry certain risks, some of which I believe are significant when compared to other taper methods. I humbly encourage you to proceed with some caution.

The concern I have about this thread topic is the apparent objective of comparing yourself to other buddies. A water suspension has worked for many buddies, but no two buddies are exactly alike. I suggest remembering that your only patient is yourself, and your situation is guaranteed to be unique in many ways.

Symptom monitoring is so important in my opinion, and if you're struggling to progress with a water suspension due to symptom severity, especially if you're already at a slow rate of reduction, I suggest considering that a water suspension may be too unreliable for your nervous system. Conversely, if you're water tapering and stabilizing on lower dosages while maintaining high functionality then a water taper is working IMO.

It's been my observation that only trialing a tapering method, observing symptoms, and keeping notes, reveals the usefulness and or consequences of such an approach for a specific individual at a specific time. Remember, some people drop by 25%/week and cease their benzo by this method; we're all different and expecting to be sensitive to reductions doesn't say just how sensitive you will be.

Also, over the course of a taper it appears to me common to have changing life circumstances and thus a changing sensitivity to reductions. A water suspension method might work at some points in your taper, and not at others. Again I suggest keeping a weather-eye out for escalating symptoms, and if you cannot manage them with a reasonable rate of reductions, you may be challenged by your water suspended doses being too irregular for your nerves.

If you want a simple suggestion for improving your water suspension, I suggest using a mortar and pestle to reduce the particle size of your deconstructed tablets. Smaller particles will stay in suspension longer.

With a small ceramic mortar and pestle you could finely grind your tablet or tablet pieces in a little water until they make a very smooth paste, rinse this with some of your dilution water into your measuring vessel (thereby cleaning the mortar of all medicine residue), dilute to your desired final volume, and then do your shaking and syringe draw. The grinding and rinsing phase might take a little practice at first, but it works well in my experience especially if the mortar has a pour spout.

We all learn by doing!

I hope this helps.  :thumbsup: