Where's the insomnia buddies? no action on the threads.

[He...]

Hi Q,

I tried 15mg of mirtazapine and it did nothing for me. I am now on trazodone (50mg) but I take it mostly for the anti-depressant benefit of it. I take it in the middle of the day because I tried taking it right before bed and it (I think?) gave me restless leg syndrome. Not sleeping was making me bummed so I started the trazodone in the hopes it might help me sleep as well as help me feel better. Not sure if it's helping with my sleep or not, but it is helping me feel better.

HM

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [He...]

• [Ac...]

• [sa...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

7.5 - 15mg is a preatty standard dosage for insomnia. I'm sorry it didn't worked for you. Btw on average the effect tends to diminish over time.

It's strange you get an AD effect at 50mg trazodone. This dosage is supposed to be mostly sedative or mildly anxiolitic. Anyway everyone is different so some reactions are individual. Happy to hear you get at least some relief from such a small dose. I never tried rx drugs during the day. I always take them before trying to sleep.

7.5 - 15mg is a preatty standard dosage for insomnia. I'm sorry it didn't worked for you. Btw on average the effect tends to diminish over time.

It's strange you get an AD effect at 50mg trazodone. This dosage is supposed to be mostly sedative or mildly anxiolitic. Anyway everyone is different so some reactions are individual. Happy to hear you get at least some relief from such a small dose. I never tried rx drugs during the day. I always take them before trying to sleep.

Yeah, I definitely get an AD effect from 50mg a day and I am grateful for it. I am down to .12mg of Xanax a day. I am hoping to be done in 6 weeks. My sleep is slowly getting better. I hope this trend keeps up! I want to be back to 9 hours a night, if I have my way.

HM

Nice. An AD effect could help your sleep indirectly. It looks like you are on the right path.

I'm still still giving a try to Mirtazapine and Zolpidem. I've got two 5h sleep then a broken 4h yesterday followed by a depressed mood today. I didn't wait the end of my tapering. I jumped at 5mg flurazepam + 2mg diazepam. It's not a real C/T because zolpidem is a Z-drugs. I think I'll be hit even harder in the next days: usually I start to feel changes one week later because flurazepam is a long half life drug.

Q, it sounds like you know what you're doing. Last night, for me, was a broken 5 hours but I am grateful for it. I will take it over 2 hours any day. I never know what is going to happen with my sleep from night to night. I always hope for the best.

HM

Q, it sounds like you know what you're doing. Last night, for me, was a broken 5 hours but I am grateful for it. I will take it over 2 hours any day. I never know what is going to happen with my sleep from night to night. I always hope for the best.

HM

Hi HM,

Actually I'm just managing to survive. I've got almost 5 last night but my daily mood worsened a lot recently. I don't feel suicidal but I sometimes I hope to close my eyes and stop. I'm exhausted. I don't wanna live in such way but I don't know how to find a relief.

I have these bad feelings especially in the morning and early afternoon. I wonder if it could be a consequence of mirtazapine and/or Seroquel discontinuation.

So, after a 2 hour night, I just visited with a psychiatrist who thought either trazadone or mirtzatapine might help with the sleep.  The problem is, he wasn't benzo wise at all.  He denied that my current problems could at all be related to past benzo use. He also seemed unsupportive of tapering either med after use.  I heard the same things before my last doc gave me the K - safe to quit anytime, take as needed, etc.  So red flags there.

That said, I'm considering taking something short term 1 week until I'm over my cold.  I don't know what to do- ride it out, or take one, and if so, which?

HM, it looks like you've done both and neither are guaranteed to help with sleep.  Melatonin, benadryl, hydroxyzine do nothing for me.  Might one of these be safe to try, or am I playing with fire/searching for a non existent magic bullet?

HM

Hi HM,

Actually I'm just managing to survive. I've got almost 5 last night but my daily mood worsened a lot recently. I don't feel suicidal but I sometimes I hope to close my eyes and stop. I'm exhausted. I don't wanna live in such way but I don't know how to find a relief.

I have these bad feelings especially in the morning and early afternoon. I wonder if it could be a consequence of mirtazapine and/or Seroquel discontinuation.

Q, it's hard to say if it is a consequence of discontinuation of mirtazapine or seroquel. Possibly. I know what you mean about surviving. I feel that way too, sometimes. Like I am just getting through the day until I can 'try' to sleep again. Hang in there. It will get better.

HM

So, after a 2 hour night, I just visited with a psychiatrist who thought either trazadone or mirtzatapine might help with the sleep.  The problem is, he wasn't benzo wise at all.  He denied that my current problems could at all be related to past benzo use. He also seemed unsupportive of tapering either med after use.  I heard the same things before my last doc gave me the K - safe to quit anytime, take as needed, etc.  So red flags there.

That said, I'm considering taking something short term 1 week until I'm over my cold.  I don't know what to do- ride it out, or take one, and if so, which?

HM, it looks like you've done both and neither are guaranteed to help with sleep.  Melatonin, benadryl, hydroxyzine do nothing for me.  Might one of these be safe to try, or am I playing with fire/searching for a non existent magic bullet?

AD, I also wish I could find a magic bullet to put me to sleep and help me stay asleep for several hours. I am also sorry about your pdoc not validating you. That sucks. I have a therapist that is very invalidating but I have to see him to be able to see my pdoc for my trazodone. I don't think I am going ot wean off trazodone anytime soon because it's good for me. I don't know if it's helping me sleep but it takes the edge off my depression and allows me to function. Sorry about your 2 hour night but glad you got 'some' sleep. It's better than nothing. I have had plenty of 2 hour nights and I am sure there is more to come.

Hope you have a good day and that you get a little more sleep tonight.

HM

Last night, for the first time since I started tapering Xanax, I fell asleep a half hour after I went to bed and slept for 3 hours. Then I was awake in bed for 3 hours before falling asleep for another 3 hours. Then I laid in bed, refusing to get up for a couple hours. I am in bed a LONG time to give myself maximum opportunity to sleep. So, I ended up getting 6 hours of broken sleep with my usual 'stack'. I am tired today, despite getting 6 hours of sleep. I have a friend coming over to visit. I hope i can perk up before she gets here.

Have a happy Sunday, everyone,

HM

They are both considered safe, but they may not work. They may give you a kind of hangover effect: it depends by your sensitivity.

Actually there is a Remeron / Mirtazapine support group here. I'm trying 15mg Mirt. Never found a trazodone support group or sort of. It's oreatty easy to discontinue at insomnia dosage. They're both widely used by insomniacs here.

Well, lots of people can take Klonopine as needed. Average users don't end up here. Antidepressant users often take benzos while weaning... Benzo buddies often use small dose AD to manage insomnia... Yes, it's insane.

IMHO almost all psy drugs are bads. Just try to play safe.

Hey there,

So, I stayed the night at a friends last night. I took my usual 'stack' and was able to eek out 5 hours of sleep. I hope my sleep gets even better soon. I used to be able to sleep 8 or 9 hours without anything. My friend is a very calming, soothing person so I am hoping my severe anxiety will come down today.

Q, I agree with you that most Psych drugs are not great for you but my Trazodone makes me feel better. Less depressed, so I take it.

AD, I hope you got a little bit of sleep last night. 2 hours is better than nothing.

Have a happy Monday and hope you all sleep well tonight.

HM

Q, thanks for the input.

HM, I'm glad you had some good time with a friend.

I got 4 last night and feel rested today, so I guess that's a win?  My PCP isn't in board with the mirt or trazadone given my med sensitivity.  I trust her (she's maybe not benzo wise, but benzo sympathetic), unlike the pdoc, so I'll keep plugging away with mela, and ahs.

AD,

Yeah, that's what I take is Melatonin and antihistamine's. Not sure if it's helping but I keep taking it. Congrats on your 4 hours! I am glad you feel rested. That's awesome.

HM

Hey there,

So, I stayed the night at a friends last night. I took my usual 'stack' and was able to eek out 5 hours of sleep. I hope my sleep gets even better soon. I used to be able to sleep 8 or 9 hours without anything. My friend is a very calming, soothing person so I am hoping my severe anxiety will come down today.

Q, I agree with you that most Psych drugs are not great for you but my Trazodone makes me feel better. Less depressed, so I take it.

AD, I hope you got a little bit of sleep last night. 2 hours is better than nothing.

Have a happy Monday and hope you all sleep well tonight.

HM

Hi HM,

I'm happy for your good nights. Trazodone at 50mg is considered safe. If I could sleep on Trazodone alone I would be very happy.

Q,

I am not sure if the Trazodone is helping me sleep or not. I take it during the day and it doesn't seem to make me very sleepy. I took it before bed for a while and I thought it was giving me restless leg syndrome so I started taking it during the day. I may go back to trying to take it at night. Maybe it was something else giving me RLS or maybe it is just part of Xanax withdrawal.

HM

My PCP did prescribe Propranolol for my tachycardia.  I am afraid to take it, now that any rx medications have been treating me so poorly since benzos.  It's attractive to think my heart rate could get down and I could get some normal sleep, but I'm afraid.

My PCP did prescribe Propranolol for my tachycardia.  I am afraid to take it, now that any rx medications have been treating me so poorly since benzos.  It's attractive to think my heart rate could get down and I could get some normal sleep, but I'm afraid.

It's one more thing you would have to taper.  Some say it's really hard because of the rebound tachycardia.

Exactly, I don't want to feel the psychological need to pop one at night to go to sleep, much less a physical need.  I picked up the rx, but it's stapled in a bag so maybe I'll leave it like that.

My cold is abating, so in another day or two I'll be back to dealing with the insomnia "normally" instead of worried I won't get better without better sleep.

Exactly, I don't want to feel the psychological need to pop one at night to go to sleep, much less a physical need.  I picked up the rx, but it's stapled in a bag so maybe I'll leave it like that.

My cold is abating, so in another day or two I'll be back to dealing with the insomnia "normally" instead of worried I won't get better without better sleep.

That would definitely be a relief!  If I knew for sure my virus was gone, it would be so much easier to deal with the fallout.

Hi guys,

After Monday night, only sleeping 2 hours, last night, I was back to about 5. I really don't know for sure. It was somewhere between 4 and 6 hours, so I am going to say about 5. It's so much better than 2 hours, but I never know what I am going to get. I am waiting for the day that it's back up to 8 hours a night. Hopefully soon.

HM

HM- 5 isn't bad.  It's been my average over the last 3 weeks- I've been keeping a spreadsheet. 

I slept 930-330 last night, so a good amount, but unable to make it past the cortisol surge. 

AD,

My cortisol rush was better this morning, but I still couldn't go back to sleep after about 6am. Good for you for averaging 5 hours a night! That's great. I have had just 2 nights about 2 weeks ago, where I got 7 hours. It was SO nice :)

Have a great day,

HM

gonna sound like a broken record, but yal really gotta try Bach Rescue Sleep (bach remedy), its a homeopathic mix of 5 flowers, I've used it about 5-6 times now, one night i took 2 of them because now I'm also dealing with a bad fungus itch that wakes me up and so to really knock me out i take that and the melatonin, 2mg will really knock me out but bad headaches next day due to light sensitivity so i prefer to take 1mg or less if i can...

plus sunlight during day, if you can work it into your schedule...