Hi new here

[Be...]

I joined Benzo Buddies to help with my tapering and what to expect. I start my tapering soon. I have GAD, Panic Disorder, fibromyalgia, PTSD, agoraphobia and other diagnosis’s. I was-prescribed Klonopin.50 mgs 3x daily for the last 12years. It was the only med it seemed to help with at the time no dude effects. Like a miracle it felt. Now I’m to a point it no longer helps and found out it is actually hurting me after drs snd Psychiatrists have told me it was a good medicine to help. My new psychiatrist after looking at my file was in her words ashamed of the medical field they have hurt you and we are gonna get you off these at a slow taper snd you will have to fight but promise there will be light snd you will be so much better and we are getting you a therapist to help. Well after denial and shock I agree and am soon to start this journey. Just downloaded the Ashton manual and have a apt with a therapist specializing in CBT and benzo withdraw, setting up a game plan I hope and then the psychiatrist and i will discuss tapering. Not gonna lie I’m scared but know I have to do this and am almost ready

Hello Belle2772, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm so glad you have a benzo wise psychiatrist who understands that the Klonopin you've been taking for so long is most likely making your problems worse, it seems to do this when we become dependent on it.  I think getting a therapist to help you through this is a wonderful idea because it's a difficult process and being surrounded by supportive people is very helpful.

We'll help you too, we typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week or two depending on your symptoms, they should guide your taper, not a man made timetable, we need to be functional after all.

I'll provide some links to help you find your way around the forum but please make yourself at home and ask questions, we're here to help you.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Hi Belie,

Welcome to BB!! Super cool you have a supportive doc to help you. I found one too, yet I still did a slower taper then he recommended. Hopefully yours will be on board with however you choose to taper but I was really sold on the low and slow I read about here and he seemed more into bigger jumps, so I just told him I was doing what he recommended but didn't tell him about the increments in-between and also held my Rx according to his recommendation so when I dropped under a dose I'd tell him I was still at that dose until I got to the next cut from his perspective. This may not be helpful for you, but in case it is ...

I too have fibromyalgia and I have gotten so much better since I stopped the meds. I hope you will find that true for you too. Seems a lot of my severe symptoms were interpose withdrawal symptoms. A miracle!!! I was taking tramadol, ambien and Xanax as needed. I never took it daily, but I did notice it helped my fibromyalgia the most ...

Welcome! Glad you're here! Take it slow and easy.

Cheers,

Kachina