Liquid Valium - Hit a bump. Advice?

[mo...]

Hi All!  I haven't been on BB in a while. Just trying to taper and live life.  I have seem to run into a brick wall, and that is liquid valium. Any advice would be appreciated. Here's what's going on:

I have been taking pill valium since May. I had been switched from Klonipin. All generics, btw. I just find it easier to use the brand name. Anyway, the switch over went well. 2mg K to 20mg V. Even at 20mg, I felt very updosed. I couldn't stay awake, I couldn't remember anything and couldn't function in the least. I was severely depressed. I chose to try to taper quickly for a while, just until I could get to a point where I was definitely safe on the road and could function. I have a young child and have to drive him to school. Anyway, I cut 1.25mg about every 4 or 5 days. At 13.75, I waited 3 weeks because I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop...delayed withdrawal, something. Nothing happened. I was genuinely good. So I cut until I hit 10mg and held. All was fine.

My Dr. is benzo wise, though not 'perfect'. The goal was to get to 10mg, switch to the liquid valium and continue the taper more slowly. Last week I started liquid valium instead of the pill form. I lasted about 9 days. What I experienced was: 1 hour after taking the meds, severe sedation. I was basically passing out in random places. Suicidal ideation, severe depression. Then, that wore off and I got the skin crawlies, burning skin sensation and very high rage, anxiety. Then it would be time for my next dose. I dosed 4x/day with the pill, so kept the dose the same on the liquid. Still 10mg total per day.  My body could not get used to this liquid.  I felt like I was going through withdrawal between doses, although I thought that's a bit bonkers on Valium.

My Dr. wanted me to try to cut down to 3 doses per day, which would have been 7.5mg total. I didn't do it. I thought this was a big cut, and also wasn't addressing the pretty bad withdrawal I was having. I called the compounding pharmacist. He said I was likely getting a 'med dump' where my body is absorbing the liquid very quickly, getting hit pretty hard and then its wearing off fast. Basically, metabolizing it way too quickly.  I switched back to pills about 4 days ago. I have already mostly leveled back out emotionally, and the withdrawal feeling between doses is getting less, almost gone. I suppose the serum level in my blood is leveling off. No more SI, uncontrollable rage or depression that I can't handle. I'm back at the same 10mg.  Again, these were all generics.

Has anyone else experienced this? Been Ok on the pills and couldn't tolerate the liquid? I've asked around but haven't heard of it. My next refill will be 2mg pills (from the 5mg ones) so I can continue to cut slowly. I have no problem with the pill cutting. I'm doing a nice slow taper and listening to my body. I had such hope for the liquid. It was the 'goal' because it provided so much flexibility. But man, I blew a circuit.  Thank you!

I empathize with a lot of your post although I never was on more than 1.5mg Klonopin QD spread out throughout the day. When I started my taper however, I was on 0.5mg QD. Well, I switched to 5mg Valium pill (all generics) and right away I hated the Valium. But it was tolerable. Same symptoms - overstated, depressed, deflated, increased brain fog. After about 3 weeks on 5mg valium pill my psychiatrist and I agreed to begin the liquid Valium taper. I accidentally went too fast in the taper and got to 4.4mg instead of 4.7mg and was having horrible side effects. I wish it were possible to slowly taper off klonopin instead but unfortunately it just isn't an option. I take 2mg in the morning and 2.4 (then going to 2.3, 2.2 2.1, etc) through the cut and hold taper I'm doing.

I don't think I felt a difference between the liquid and the pill form overall, as both have similar half lives. The onset of action is just faster with the oral valium. You shouldn't be experiencing inter dose withdrawal symptoms instead just regular taper symptoms to which it would be a good idea to ask your psychiatrist to stay on the dose once your anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation under control. Quickly tapering the liquid is not fun... at all... Speaking from my personal experience and everything I've read about the liquid taper myself.

Just make sure not to increase your dose at any point to feel more comfortable... I believe kindling becomes worse each time you raise your dose again and resume taper. Which is why I think when my psychiatrist gave me the 5mg valium after I was attempting cutting pills of Klonopin down to 0.125mg finally and experiencing buzzing vibrations all over my body, increased panic attacks, and inability to get work done. So this is the third time I've tapered (this time very slowly) and it's gotten harder each time.

Valium is not a benzo that feels good at all. I loved Klonopin because it made me feel normal but unfortunately I just can't be on benzodiazepines long term, period. So I'm sticking with the miserable Valium taper and only cutting doses when I feel like I've been through the worst of the intermediary withdrawal symptoms between doses.