topamax for post taper anxiety???

[Ha...]

yeah, 4 months off today from a 1051 day taper off 1.5 mg's of Klonopin, still feeling no better, or different, doc wants me to try Topamax , and was kind of ticked off when I said I didn't trust it

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Topamax near the end of my taper.  It didn’t really agree with me.  But, I take a small dose of Depakote now which is a similar anticonvulsant.  I find it helpful in just keeping me stabilized in general

I wouldn’t say it relaxes me much, but it keeps me from getting overly worked up so I don’t freak out when I’m in public and stuff. 

I have also tried Remeron, Lexapro, and Seroquel over the past year and I can say that Depakote is the only drug that has not made things worse and even provides benefit, even if small.  The anticonvulsants work in a way that show some resemblance to benzos. 

If you are worried about withdrawing from another med, most these other meds aren’t in the same galaxy as a benzo.  Before I was ever put on a benzo, I had stopped a couple antidepressants cold turkey.  While that sucked for a couple days, it was basically over after that.