Gabapentin tapering?

[wi...]

I'm focused on my benzo taper from X,  not halting gabapentin now, but I have tried it in the past and I found it tough.  I'm on 1600mg/day 4x/day.  Has anyone been on a high dose and then tapered off? If so, I'm curious how. Im taking the powder filled capsules.  I don't look forward to the day when I will start to taper off gabapentin, way in the future. I'm still very overwhelmed by tapering off X.

I was originally on 2300 mgs of gabapentin for a foot neuropathy. After my benzo taper, I dropped pretty quickly to 900 mgs after reading that gaba was not a great drug to be on long-term. From 900 mgs I dropped 100 mgs a week until I got to 100 mgs. After that, I just broke the capsule apart and tried to eyeball a 25% cut every week or so. Not very scientific. I didn't realize gaba was water soluble and that I could have made a solution. Anyhow, it wasn't too bad. I had headaches and nausea and dizziness but over all the taper was nowhere near as bad as my benzo taper.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on your taper from xanax and not worry too much about your future gaba taper. It might not be as bad as you fear. I understand that dropping big amounts from a high dose is not nearly as problematic as the lower doses. I found that to be true.

Hope this helps.

Katz

Yes, you helped! I think it's good advice to stay focused on the X taper.  I just get terror thoughts sometimes that the gabapentin (and I'm also on Lamictal), will have me on a loop of never-ending withdrawal effects like the insomnia and mood swings. One day at a time! Bless you!