Tapering diazepam

[Ho...]

Hi, I am tapering, down to 5mg of diazepam in the morning and 10 mg at night. I realize there's still a hell of a way to go but is it normal to feel so goddamn awful whilst still taking the stuff? Feel so depressed and hopeless not really functioning. So worried that if I feel so bad at this point the continuation is going to be catastrophic. BTW I have no medical support that believes that this is actually a problem.

Hello Hotstepper,

On August 12th you posted that you were on 2.5mg lorazepam. Two weeks later, to be on 15mg of diazepam suggests a rapid crossover, and this can cause lots of problems; so yes, it is normal to feel 'goddamn awful' waiting for a diazepam dosage that is 40% less than the Ashton equivalent of your previous short-acting benzo to reach even this insufficient potency. Ashton equivalencies are based on the diazepam dosages layer over the course of several weeks; so only after several weeks of daily dosing will 15mg of diazepam be what Dr. Ashton considered an equivalent to 1.5mg of lorazepam. That could be a very uncomfortable and belabored transition; I'm sorry this was done to you!

I'm just making guesses here from what little information is in your previous posts.

Could you tell us about your crossover to diazepam, when that happened, and how quickly?

Lastly, would you mind updating your signature to let us know what you've been up to regarding your medications? Dates, medications and dosage amounts are really helpful. You might want to take a look around the forum at other signatures to find an information format that makes sense for your situation.

We're here to help.  :thumbsup:

Thank-you so much for answering,

I will try to update my signature I'm just v not technically gifted.

The lorazepam was stopped dead by Dr's on the 12th of August. I was trying to discuss a taper with them and explain that I was really struggling. They agreed to a taper on the terms that I gave them the lorazepam back and their taper schedule,

12-22nd August 25mg per day

23-29 th August 20mg per day

30aug - 5sept  15mg per day

6sept - 12 sept 10mg per day

13sept-19 Sept 5mg per day

20 Sept 0mg

I also take 50 mgs of lamotrigine in the evening.

It sounds like the medical treatment you are receiving is the largest health risk you are facing with regards to benzos. In very simple terms I consider what is being done to you by your doctor(s) is medically induced torture. I am sorry that you haven't had more skillful or caring support available.

Do you have the possibility of changing doctors? Many buddies present their condition as requiring a sufficient maintenance dose of their current benzo indefinitely; they're then able to taper privately at-home as their body and symptoms allow.

Here is a basic pamphlet of information for informing prescribers about the nature of safe benzodiazepine withdrawal. What is being done to you is NOT considered safe by these guidelines.

https://benzoreform.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Pamphlet-3-BZRA-Discontinuation-1-Getting-Started-v1.2.pdf

Many of us on BB have tried doctor-led tapers, and I believe the overwhelming consensus is that they're awful. I'm confident that no benzo-wise doctor would even consider forcing a formulaic taper plan on their patient, especially if they're already struggling with withdrawal symptoms. From my perspective, you are being treated like a criminal and not a patient.

There is not much we on the forum can do if your doctor will not prescribe sufficient medication to enact a safe, slow, patient-led taper. Self-advocacy is often very important during benzo tapering in our current medical circumstances; I hope you can find an option, any option to taper slower, allowing your body and withdrawal symptoms to dictate the rate of reductions. Functionality is precious.

Patients are often unable to obtain useful cessation advice from the prescribers, and frequently have their prescriptions abruptly stopped to their detriment. Inpatient “detox,” rapid taper, cold turkey and forced cessation are dangerous and inappropriate for prescribed patients. The result can be reinstatement, disabling protracted symptoms or death. Slow (≤5-10% every 2-4 weeks), patient-controlled tapers are the best way to discontinue use in patients agreeable to cessation.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/benzodiazepines/

Let us know any way we can help.

I can't change Dr, this guy is the head of a psychiatric unit in France. If I fail this withdrawal I'll end up in hospital again and the whole issue of being treated for another psychological condition that doesn't exist ( with the exception of manageable depression) will start again. I've detoxed off benzos in hospital here in 4 days of hell whilst being treated with neuroleptics. I don't know what to do or think.

Not knowing what to do or think seems to me to be an extremely common outcome from this kind of rough handling with psyche medications. Please know you are not alone.

I don't understand why you can't change doctors; I'm sorry I don't know more about the medical system in France. In my opinion, your doctors prescriptions have been blatantly reckless and harmful. Please consider reading the material I've linked to earlier. If you accept this care, you accept these consequences, and I am sorry for this. At some point I hope that you will consider whether things are getting better or worse with your current treatment, and if it's worse, then I hope you will take action to protect yourself.

Posting on the Withdrawal Support board may be valuable to you if you follow your doctor-led taper and need help recognize and managing your symptoms. We can't do much here to help you plan a taper if it's out of your hands.

I'll be praying for you.  :-\

Thank-you, I'll need all the prayers I can get. The consensus here is that there's obviously a deep seated psychiatric problem and as soon as you take medication for this all need/ dépendance on benzos will disappear. I keep trying to discuss that the problem is the benzos and am dismissed as a non compliant patient, then equally as an addict!?

I have read the material and know I'm in for hell, unless I can think of something else.

I can't change dr because the system protects/ believes itself. I will see a different dr in Sept but he is from the same establishment.

I'm sorry for adding my worry to yours. It sounds like you understand your situation very well with regards to the nature of the drugs you're being given, but aren't being seen or supported by your medical team. This is a very tough situation, and unfortunately, I think it's not that uncommon.

In my opinion you can definitely survive a rapid taper, and it's definitely better than going cold turkey. One of our shining admin members went cold turkey off of 6-10mg of clonazepam (Ashton equivalent of 120 to 200mg diazepam), and kept working while going through great suffering. But she has made a full recovery and is truly a gift to the world. I have no doubt that you will be too.

I suggest taking this as it comes and finding your best path forward. It seems to me that given your circumstances it may be better that you complete the rushed taper so as to end your relationship with these doctors, and find ways to address your ongoing mental health needs without medications.

I've found there is something sacred in benzo recovery; something strengthening, and deepening, and revealing, and healing. I've found that for myself there is a very special silver lining to all this struggle. I hope that you will see one in yours as well.

I believe in you. This forum is here to help you in any way that we can. 

:smitten:

Thank-you slownsteady,

I don't consider it adding your worries to mine at all.

I just need to understand that all the things that are happening are the symptoms of what I think is happening.

I have absolute restlessness but an inability to focus on anything and absolutely no pleasure in anything at all.

I really don't want to go out and dealing with people is agony.

The way time passes so slowly is so bizarre, along with a depression that's seemingly endless.

I just feel loss and grief for the life I had. Need some hope desperately.  Hx