NEED HELP figuring out taper amounts for clonazapam hard cut

[nu...]

Hi guys...

I am coming off of rx clonazapam 2 mg, down to 1.75 for 3 weeks, ( minor wd), then down to 1.625 two days ago ( big w/d symptoms) so I will stay here for a while.

Next I planned to go down to 1.5 mg

1.25 mg

1 mg

and i will follow the lead of my symptoms, but i'm confused if i'm going down too fast, and if so, could someone please help me chart out the steps i should go to?  My neurologist won't allow me to do liquid tapering, plus there are no compounding pharmacies in my area anyway, so I am hard cutting the pills..right now for 1.625 i take ( 1 mg, .5 mg, and 1/4 of .5 mg) all cut by me by aluminum cutter.

I'm confused as to the different math to figure out my steps down and can't think clearly enough to figure them out, and how to cut my pills.....can' anyone help me please>?

thankyou in advance

Lisa

Hi guys...

I am coming off of rx clonazapam 2 mg, down to 1.75 for 3 weeks, ( minor wd), then down to 1.625 two days ago ( big w/d symptoms) so I will stay here for a while.

Next I planned to go down to 1.5 mg

1.25 mg

1 mg

and i will follow the lead of my symptoms, but i'm confused if i'm going down too fast, and if so, could someone please help me chart out the steps i should go to?  My neurologist won't allow me to do liquid tapering, plus there are no compounding pharmacies in my area anyway, so I am hard cutting the pills..right now for 1.625 i take ( 1 mg, .5 mg, and 1/4 of .5 mg) all cut by me by aluminum cutter.

I'm confused as to the different math to figure out my steps down and can't think clearly enough to figure them out, and how to cut my pills.....can' anyone help me please>?

thankyou in advance

Lisa

I can help you set up a tablet liquid combo, it's actually very simple because you take mostly pills and taper a .125 mg at a time using a 1 ml syringe. There's only a few things you will need to get and all the math will be done with a calculator that a forum member designed.

It's very difficult to tapper Clonazapam if you want to remain functional. I would be happy to walk you through it?

My neurologist doesn't want me to do liquid , so he is having me use the meltable .125 once i get to that point....do you think that's a good idea?

My neurologist doesn't want me to do liquid , so he is having me use the meltable .125 once i get to that point....do you think that's a good idea?

We have members who have used to them taper, techniques used include: pill-splitting; pill-shaving and weighing; homebrew liquid made with whole fat, homogenized milk; and homebrew liquid made with water.

Thanks Pamster, the point is to do a slower controlled taper. I just found making my own liquid was the easiest way after doing a lot of research. Please research the different methods for you self.

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions...I would have to use water to dilute, as i can't do alcohol ( allergic), and I can't do dairy, like mile (diverticulitis)..yes, i'm a mess...

I will read more about that method with liquid tapering...it sounds much more exact...thank you

LIsa

Another option is to make an at-home suspension of tablets. There are a few ways to do this besides the milk and water options, including commercial suspension vehicles like Ora-Plus, Versa Free, etc for sale sometimes in stores and online (Amazon etc). By suspending in a liquid, doses can be taken very accurately and easily.

Water is a poor suspension vehicle, but it has the major advantage of being universally tolerated. I am experimenting with some other simple food-safe suspensions, but it might be worth trying the commercial variety like Ora-Plus to see if your can tolerate it. If your liquid is concentrated enough or you don't need very much of it, you can minimize your consumption of the suspending vehicle and minimize any reaction to the ingredients. I do this by taking most of my doses as tablets, and I only replace 1/4 tablet at a time with liquid and then titrate the liquid to zero at whatever rate I choose. This is called a liquid/tablet hybrid and is what TMH is doing and was suggesting about using the online taper schedule generator.

Here's an instructional for the daily micro taper (DMT) schedule generator:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=254653.5#post_generator

It sounds like your taper rate has gotten too fast. A linear 0.125mg reduction schedule is what I used to start and I made it to about 1.75mg before it was too much for me. 1.75 -> 1.675 is a 7% reduction. You may want to stick to cuts that are in the 5-6%/14 day range. I suggest considering a DMT like what is created with the online schedule generator; I find this approach radically reduced symptoms for me.

Let us know how we can help!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Pamster, the point is to do a slower controlled taper. I just found making my own liquid was the easiest way after doing a lot of research. Please research the different methods for you self.

As you can see TMH, my suggestion included the use of liquid, I can assure you, I have done the research. 

nurselisa1124, there is also the option of asking your prescribing physician to write a script for a compounding pharmacy.

We have members who have used to them taper, techniques used include: pill-splitting; pill-shaving and weighing; homebrew liquid made with whole fat, homogenized milk; and homebrew liquid made with water.

As you can see TMH, my suggestion included the use of liquid, I can assure you, I have done the research. 

nurselisa1124, there is also the option of asking your prescribing physician to write a script for a compounding pharmacy.

Hi Pamster I was complimenting your suggestions seeing your one of the most informed and active member on this sight. I hope you did take my comment as a criticism?  The fact your still around helping folks well after your recovery is beyond words, as I admire your patience, dedication and kind approach.

Thank you for being here in the trenches with us as well as the rest of the team that keeps this sight alive.

yes, we have no compounding pharmacies here in Rhode Island, so that is out...Unfortunately...liquid would be nice, but my neurologist will not do it for me...im stuck wth hard cut tapers....talked to my pharmacy and they will carry the meltable for .125 also...

I'll do the best i can.  yesterday was 2nd day of taper down to 1.625, and felt horrible all day...took 1.625 again last night, and woke up feeling much better today???  ONLY a slight headache

LISA

Hi Pamster I was complimenting your suggestions seeing your one of the most informed and active member on this sight. I hope you did take my comment as a criticism?  The fact your still around helping folks well after your recovery is beyond words, as I admire your patience, dedication and kind approach.

Thank you for being here in the trenches with us as well as the rest of the team that keeps this sight alive.

My apologies TMH, I reacted negatively to your comment and I'm sorry, I can see now you were probably suggesting that nurselisa do the research which is absolutely the right thing to say. 

I haven't been active on the forum the whole time I've been recovered, I took a break from 2011 to 2019 then returned to help out after the Lisa Ling special on CNN, been here ever since.  It truly saddens me to see the continued suffering from this class of drugs.  :'(

yes, we have no compounding pharmacies here in Rhode Island, so that is out...Unfortunately...liquid would be nice, but my neurologist will not do it for me...im stuck wth hard cut tapers....talked to my pharmacy and they will carry the meltable for .125 also...

I'll do the best i can.  yesterday was 2nd day of taper down to 1.625, and felt horrible all day...took 1.625 again last night, and woke up feeling much better today???  ONLY a slight headache

LISA

Lisa,

Most of our members get their prescriptions from their doctors but control their own tapers, if this is what you would like we can help you design your taper using any method you choose, your taper, your way.  :thumbsup:

yes, we have no compounding pharmacies here in Rhode Island, so that is out...

Hi Lisa,

I found at least a few compounding pharmacies in Rhode Island that belong to the PCCA. Here is the website to do your own search. I'm fairly certain that clonazepam prescriptions can be sent to your home address by mail, so you could go with the best option in state and just have them deliver. I suggest calling a few; not all compounding pharmacies are created equal. Also some compounding pharmacies are licensed to service other states, so even if they're over the border they may be able to ship to you what you need.

https://pccarx.com/Resources/FindACompounder

My apologies TMH, I reacted negatively to your comment and I'm sorry, I can see now you were probably suggesting that nurselisa do the research which is absolutely the right thing to say. 

I haven't been active on the forum the whole time I've been recovered, I took a break from 2011 to 2019 then returned to help out after the Lisa Ling special on CNN, been here ever since.  It truly saddens me to see the continued suffering from this class of drugs.  :'(

Thank you! There’s not a day that goes by without thinking of the tragedy we are going through and gone through. If I can bring hope to even one person it worth the time responding to folks. I was lost in what to do with this medication dependency until I found this forum. Godspeed to you Pamster and all who suffer.

thank you all sooo much. YOu are so supportive and wonderful.  I know there are pharmacies compounding here in RI..i mispoke..i meant to say that my dr. will not use them...he believes only in hard cut...so anyone who can help me figure that out would be great..not only the dose, but what pills i need to cut every few weeks to take the correct dosage.

I have been on 1.625 now for 5 days..and i'm feel much better..the first 2 dYS WERE VERY hard...i'm grateful..i'm sure they will show back up again .....but i'm staying firm and not going back up ever...

I think in a few weeks i will hard cut to 1.5mg, and then need to figure out 6-8% down for each step from there and what pills to cut to get to those doses. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you all for your wonderful help. I wish my neurologist would allow me to use a compounding pharmacy..but he doens't believe in them..and he was the neurologist who started me on clonazapam 15 years ago....so no other dr. will touch me regarding the clonazapam....

I am sticking with this all the way to 'jump off' time....however safely and effectlvely i can do that

Lisa

I have been on 1.625 now for 5 days..and i'm feel much better..the first 2 dYS WERE VERY hard...i'm grateful..i'm sure they will show back up again .....but i'm staying firm and not going back up ever...

I think in a few weeks i will hard cut to 1.5mg, and then need to figure out 6-8% down for each step from there and what pills to cut to get to those doses. Any help is appreciated.

I am sticking with this all the way to 'jump off' time....however safely and effectlvely i can do that

Lisa

Lisa - something that the team here taught me that I learned the hard way is that the need to updose to restore functionality is not a failure, just a bump along the road that most people end up going over. I was, like you, totally goal oriented on my cut percentage and my schedule.  I learned quickly that my body had other ideas. So I had to updose a little bit to get back on track and then took a more reasonable cut so I would ‘’try be flat on my back on the couch for a week.  Even the little cuts sometimes give me 2-3 days of discomfort, but that is livable. My advice is to make your next cut small and if you have no symptoms, the your next cut in 10 days instead of 14 or 30.

Pamster, Slow, Jelly and others were so kind to me to make sure I got it through my head that functionality is a key metric as we walk through this. I am actually staying at my current dose until Sept 20 because I have some big things coming up and I want to be stable. Yes, that is going to make this ridiculously long taper longer, but I get to live my life and I am already feeling much better at half my original dose.

I am sorry your Doc is not supportive of a compound liquid.  I had no trouble changing doctors and my new one beat me to the punch by immediately asking if I would consider getting off the benzo.  I had already taken my first cut, so was happy we were on the same page. Perhaps you are comfortable with your neuro, but I bet there is a psychiatrist who would support you in a taper.  But it is whatever you are most comfortable with - as stated, you can do a home solution/suspension that will work. I will transition to that after my next cut.  My doc supports a compounded liquid and am probably going that route although I have done all the math to do it myself if necessary.

Best wishes to you!!!  Come here whenever you need to - you can’t wear out your welcome on BB!

Butterfly 🦋

thankyou . Unfortantely I can't change drs. because only the original prescribing dr. will follow through in Ri with continuing to order me new meds to taper. Only my original neuro will.  So i'm stuck.

I'm going to only go down 5-7% every 2 weeks depending on my symptoms and hope for the best...but i will not go back up...id' rather be uncomfortable for a time. 

Thank you all

Lisa

[d5...]

Pam-??

There’s anxiety n fear if u can’t talk about all of this w ur neurologist or even PCP. It just increases our trouble w symptoms cuz benzo wd is barbaric n scary espec doing it thru SM.  Your neurologist knows what a liquid taper is n why is kinda shocking to an already sensitive CNS.  A pharmacist is your next best contact about reconstituting in whatever way u n the dr can agree on. Tell ur neurologist ur concerns n what uve learned even from these forums. Just b totally honest n upfront.  They are getting much much better about listening.  It wd b great if we cd teach them that ppl are suffering and it wd help if there’s more drs to listen n to be more sensitive to wd pain.  They need to include anything that’s not a med too that wd help u push thru all of this.  It dsnt matter how u got here, it only matters that u can get where you’re trying to go safely n so in 1 piece. I’ll b 🙏.