Author Topic: Dry Powder Titration technique for use with small doses  (Read 5105 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Dry Powder Titration technique for use with small doses
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 05:42:17 pm »
I would like some help by using the method of making up a few months batch. I also want to just reduce every 2 weeks, not every day. I just need the cuts to be smaller, by using the filler. I would like to go 3% every two weeks or so. I put my information in previous post.  I am currently at .15. [...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 06:47:07 pm »
Hi GoingPlaces,

The math you requested is difficult so it will take me some time to do it.

Please confirm these facts before I spend the time doing the math:

(1) Your 0.5 mg of Ativan drug weighs 0.05 grams (I know Klonopin weighs 0.17 grams so I am worried why your pill is so light).
(2) You currently take 0.15 mg of Ativan drug which weighs 0.015 grams on your scale
(3) You want to reduce every 2 weeks by 3%
(4) You want to make a 4 month batch

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 07:11:57 pm »
Hi all, just following this thread and am now doubting my own taper method. My 1mg Ativan tablets weigh 0.1gm on my scale. So in the tablet there will be 0.001g Ativan. That must mean there is 0.999g of filler in each tablet. I was thinking that surely that must be enough filler to ensure an accurate weight but maybe Iím wrong. Please help to clarify if possible. Thank you.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 07:46:02 pm »
[...],

You seem to know what you are doing but for everyone else, let me state:
     mg stands for milligrams which is 1/1000 of a gram.

So in your Ativan tablet, there is 0.001 grams (1mg) of drug but it weighs 0.1 grams (100mg).  Hence, 0.099 grams is filler.

To answer your question, you have plenty of filler (and no need to mess with add powder) until you get very low in your taper.  When the taper gets tiny, your scale cannot handle the tiny measurements.  This happens around 0.05 grams for most scales.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 08:57:52 pm »
Thanks Bob, you have reassured me. Grateful.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 02:49:25 pm »
Hello Bob 7 or Renew and Restore Us
Yes the weight of my .5mg Name Brand Ativan is .050 grams. Sometimes they weigh .049-.051. They are the tiniest pills I have ever seen. I have stayed on the name brand for over 35 years. I never did the generic, which of course have more filler.

At this point I would like to just make up a 2 month batch and see how it goes.  And yes, I would like to reduce about 3% every 2 weeks or so. I have been able to get down to .15 over the course of 1.5 years by filing and weighing. .050.049.048 etc...I now hold for 3 weeks or longer sometimes. I plan on this taking possibly another year or so, but I am ok with it.

I am confused on the ratio of pills to filler. I would like to use as little filler as possible. Just enough to take smaller cuts ever 2 weeks.  My scale weighs fine, I just don't want to drop down a higher percentage on these low doses.

Thank you very much...

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 07:26:59 pm »
[...],
The math is difficult so I extended it for 3 months.
You are currently at 0.15 mg of drug so I made your first dose to be 3% less which is 0.146mg.
Then every 2 weeks (14 days), I reduce another 3%

Crush 24 pills into a bowl with a metal spoon.
Add 30.8 grams of microcrystalline cellulose to create a mixture.
I found it helpful to measure each dose into empty Gel Capsules (size 000).  Click here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYV3L6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

You will start with 32 grams of mixture which you will slowly use over 3 months and have a few grams left over in case you spill some.

Here is your table:
Mixture g   Timeline       dose mg   Put into gel capsule grams
32.000      First 2 Weeks  0.146     0.388
26.568      Next 2 Weeks   0.141     0.376
21.299      Next 2 Weeks   0.137     0.365
16.188      Next 2 Weeks   0.133     0.354
11.230      Next 2 Weeks   0.129     0.343
6.421       Next 2 Weeks   0.125     0.333

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 02:22:27 pm »
Bob,
I thank you so much for your help with this calculation and method. So, I do have a few more questions:

1. I can follow your reductions. So, every 3 months I will be making up the same 24 pills/30.8 g of filler, correct? I know I will have leftover, but that's ok. So this will always be my starting batch.

2. How can I get comfortable with the ratio and that I am not getting too much or too little Ativan. I am a bit weirded out about it. I know getting down to the smaller doses it is super important to be consistent. 

4. If I wanted to stay with my weighing and filing until I got down to let's say .13, could I still do the same ratio of pills to filler, but just start at .13?

Thank you again for your willingness to help.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 03:06:52 pm »
Hi Bob,
I was also wondering, is the large amount of filler necessary, or could I get by with a lesser amount, since my scale seems to be weighing pretty accurately. I would like to use as little filler as I can.  Grateful for your help. Especially from this long time user.

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2021, 03:48:03 pm »
Well, the larger the amount of filler, the more stable things will be for you day to day.  Since your other post is concerned about getting comfortable about getting too much or too little Ativan, I do not recommend using less filler.

Also in your other post, question 1, after 3 months you could use the same formulation (24 pills in 30.8g).  To compute how much of the mixture for a dose, use this equation:
weigh on scale = dose * 0.4/0.15

You might need me to change the mixture for you when you get near the end of your taper. 

As for you last question, yes, you can continue to file.  Whenever you want to use the mixture, just use the equation I gave you above.

Remember, anxiety is the beast in all of this.  If you worry too much about your methods, the anxiety will make things worse.  Learn non-benzo methods to control anxiety (search on youtube).  Try to take you mind off the taper.  Live in the moment.  Do not worry about the future or doing all this exact correct.  Benzos stay in the blood a long time so if you get a little more or less one day, it will average out.  Try to find peace or the anxiety will make things worse.