Metronidazole and sudden anxiety

[It...]

Hi all!!

I had made a post a few days ago about how I'm 21 months post and I haven't had symptoms for about 6 months or so. A few weeks ago I had some random days of anxiety and then the last week has been absolutely terrible. Insomnia, terrible anxiety, restlessness it's been so disheartening and frustrating. I have had a decent amont of stress lately and mostly chalked it up to that because I otherwise didn't think my lifestyle had changed (no meds or alcohol). BUT while doing my normal skincare routine this morning I realized there have been added meds - I deal with rosacea and get terrible flare ups so after a specifically bad episode at the end of May, my dermatologist added topical metrogel (metronidazole) do my daily skincare routine. Now to the best of my knowledge and research this is a topical antibiotic that I've been putting on my skin several times a week for almost 8 weeks now.

Could this have caused my sudden return of symptoms?! Or does anyone have experience with this med?  I don't know why I didn't even think about this sooner, especially knowing what antibiotics can do to people in withdrawal. 

Hi all!!

I had made a post a few days ago about how I'm 21 months post and I haven't had symptoms for about 6 months or so. A few weeks ago I had some random days of anxiety and then the last week has been absolutely terrible. Insomnia, terrible anxiety, restlessness it's been so disheartening and frustrating. I have had a decent amont of stress lately and mostly chalked it up to that because I otherwise didn't think my lifestyle had changed (no meds or alcohol). BUT while doing my normal skincare routine this morning I realized there have been added meds - I deal with rosacea and get terrible flare ups so after a specifically bad episode at the end of May, my dermatologist added topical metrogel (metronidazole) do my daily skincare routine. Now to the best of my knowledge and research this is a topical antibiotic that I've been putting on my skin several times a week for almost 8 weeks now.

Could this have caused my sudden return of symptoms?! Or does anyone have experience with this med?  I don't know why I didn't even think about this sooner, especially knowing what antibiotics can do to people in withdrawal.

Flagyl destroyed me early on. I took oral metonidazole and it took a long time to revover. I would like to think that because you used a topical version that you would have absorbed much less of it and you would suffer much less than I did and others did here. Some people take it with no problems but quite a few including myself were sent to hell from taking metronidazole during withdrawal. It should be noted that this antibiotics is no picnic for healthy people in the general population. Psychiatric side effects are fairly common with this drug. You can read pages and pages of people talking about this on a few sites that have reviews on this med.

WOW!!! I had absolutely no idea!!! Thank you so much for this information!!

I'm literally grasping at straws for what has suddenly made me feel so terrible again, after 6 months of feeling completely normal. Thanks again, I'll definitely look more into this.