Is daily tapering better than cut and hold

[av...]

I believe you are asking if taking daily micro reductions are better than weekly or bi-weekly cut-and-hold style reductions. I understand you're wondering what specifically are their effects on symptom severity.

The simplest answer is: it depends on the medication.

To my current understanding and experience, it appears that daily micro tapering (DMT) reduces both the irregularity and severity of withdrawal symptoms at a given tapering rate with every benzo when compared to a weekly or bi-weekly cut-and-hold. However for benzos with long half-lives, I think that there are complications to managing a DMT that can sometimes make the use of this method very problematic and/or unnecessary.

For short-acting benzos, it's my opinion that a DMT is beneficial both symptomatically and in terms of managing the taper. I think the only caveat to a DMT in general is the level of reduction accuracy that is required, as this can require implementing more complicated reduction methods especially if someone is only working with tablets.

I hope this helps.  :thumbsup:

yes, that is what I am asking. I understand what you are saying.  I'm not confident i could handle the liquid titration. I would have to cut everyday on my clonazepam.  I'm just discouraged because am mostly stuck to this couch in which this is just my first cut and i did have to up dose because I tried cutting into my night dose after a week. I was feeling so good like a little over a week on a 6 percent cut until added the 2nd cut. i was active outside and like nothing was happening and then 2nd cut put me into a slump i guess. Hopefully, i can get back to more active. Is everyone else feeling pretty normal all the time with a 6 percent cut or do they have a period of bad days. im at 2 and a half weeks on my first cut and i wake up needing my dose and go back to sleep for an hour or so and just kind of sit there with the  tv.  im trying to push myself.

i think I became tolerant to the medicine and my doctor started me on seroquel at night because i was having anxiety and knew i had to stop the clonazepam. As I stated before Im having to give up my job and the way its going its going to be over 3 years at this rate. im very depressed about the whole thing. I was a very active person. i tried detox a year ago and came back home for 3 days and was nervous as can be. No way was it manageble even with seroquel day and night . i tried for a few more days and there was no way so I had to go back taking them. Very disappointing. I just wish there was a faster way.

I've seen members taper very slowly and be able to hold down their jobs and engage in their lives, this may be something to consider for your situation.  I know thinking about doing this for years is discouraging but if you just incorporate this process into your life instead of it being front and center then maybe you could find a way to live your life while doing this.

Rapid tapers just seem to make people hurt more, and there is much healing to be done after the last dose so being off the drug doesn't necessarily mean you'll be recovered from its effects.  This process takes way too long.

im only at a 5 percent taper but, the seroquel makes me very sleepy for several hours in the morning. i don't know if this is the best drug for me. I tried many ssris in the past with no luck and recently zoloft which i had no luck at either. what could I use to get me on an ssri once im off this. i tried ssris when i was younger and if I would have stayed home i could have made it through the process but, I stayed at work and couldn't do it.

pam, are you talking about less than 5 percent?

Yes, I am, if you need to reduce by smaller amounts in order to be functional then I feel you should consider it.  Each of us need to find out own path through this and unfortunately it requires a lot of experimentation.

As for an antidepressant, are you working with a doctor, are you depressed?  I don't have experience with Seroquel but if you'll ask questions on the Other Medications board you might get some input.

ok. that is true. my teeth still hurt and my stomach is still pulling a little so I guess im not ready to move to another cut. i can't even go outside but, for short periods. The serquel does make me tired as it overlaps into the mornings but, i was 3 weeks on it and 2mg and was feeling great a couple weeks ago. actually a week ago i was great until i cut some off my night dose and I was already a week into my day cut and didnt even notice hardly anything. oh, my throat is hurting also. i just stay in the house not much of an appetite.  i'm guessing b appetite is good before they move on to another cut. Feeling normal as we say.

You found out pretty quickly how going too fast can set you back, hopefully you'll stabilize soon and when you do, give it another week just to make sure your brain is ready for another reduction.

• 3 weeks later...
You may start to see a pattern for when the symptoms hit and how long until until you stabilize after the cut. Please b very careful about rushing it. On a long acting benzo some don't feel the cut for 10-14 days. It's a good idea to watch and observ for about one month the first cut to see if you notice any pattern then base your next cut on that symptom pattern.