😬 ADHD MEDS 😬

[ko...]

I’m in the process of getting a diagnosis for ADHD, this is something I wanted to address before benzo withdrawal and now that my baseline is a little more…grounded, I’m trying to address some other mental health stuff that might not be benzo related (although everything is exacerbated by withdrawal of course).

Anyway, month 2-3 of CT w/d I tried Prozac (fluoxetine) with terrible results, horrific anxiety and paresthesia, I’ve been on prozac in the past and knew that feeling wasn’t normal, like pouring gasoline on a fire. I was given a script for Celexa (Citalopram) yesterday but I don’t dare pick it up after my experience with prozac.

ADHD medication acts on diff. receptors I’m guessing, but I’m concerned about it being so stimulating, my anxiety levels aren’t severe right now, it mostly manifests itself as existential dread which I find more depressing than anxiety inducing, I’m worried about taking a step back to the anxiety I felt in acute if I start an amphetamine derivative. I haven’t even touched caffeine for 6 months (although I smoke 5-10 cigarettes a day)

Can anybody who takes any of these medications tell me a little about their experiences during withdrawal, with Ritalin, Adderall etc? I really feel like I’d benefit in several ways by addressing what I strongly believe to be ADD, is there an adjustment period where anxiety side effects settle down?

Thank you for any help 😊

I am in a really similar situation, I don't have advice but I just wanted to say that I understand some of where you're coming from.

I'm 36 and have been diagnosed w various forms of depression and anxiety all my life, but about 3 months ago started with a new psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADHD. He is also overseeing my taper using the Ashton method, and right now I'm still in the early stages of that, taking 10mg V/day down from 12, down from 1mg Clon.

The new psych prescribed vyvanse 10mg, and said I could try even half of that which is a tiny dose. He said that it would be good to start 10 days or so into a cut from the benzo, so I would know what was a side effect of what. Part of me thinks I should wait though until I'm off benzos, and that's def the advice from people in these groups, but that could still be like 6 months or more from now and now that I have the ADHD diagnosis, I really want to see if the meds could help.

So I feel really conflicted and confused too. Wishing you the best!

Hi! I took both Vyvanse and Adderall (not together, at different times lol) while on Klonopin, and it triggered interdose withdrawal symptoms for me every time. I think it was because the drugs are so stimulating.  I haven’t taken them since I’ve been benzo free, but I’m nervous to because it triggered symptoms for me while I was on them. Just my personal experience.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have struggled with anxiety & depression for 10+ years and was just diagnosed ADHD a few months ago. I am in my late-30s.

I just recently started Concerta and found that it drastically improved my symptoms (primarily psychological, including severe anxiety). I know everyone is different, but the stimulant actually calms me and allows me to concentrate and think straight.