Anti depressants help anyone during withdrawl???

[Ki...]

Hello

My depression is back with a vengeance. I've been on off ADs for years been on most types at one stage. They helped at certain times of life but never for long periods always upper dose then switching.

Then gave up and relied on Clomazapam/klonpin until they seem to turn on me after years of been on them. Now tappering depression is getting unbearable I can't cope live alone and can't afford any professional help on my own in everything.

I wanting to hear from people who used a anti depressant to cope during taper as I'm seriously thinking about going back on a AD which one I'm not sure.

Has anyone gone on ADs during taper to help get through taper??

I understand ADs and that have to withdrawl etc but that's a walk in the park compared to Benzo WD so not worried about that in future.

Any success stories or reason not too?.

Kind regards

• 2 weeks later...
Hello sorry to hear your having depression. I was on a anti depressant during my wds. I’d say it helped. Seem to take awhile to work this time around but it did do its job.  When I got off benzos I thought the anti depressant would help w the anxiety and it did as well as the depression. Got to a point where I started feeling normal an would forget to take it an eventually just cold turkeyd it(would recommend tapering tho) . Had about a week of mild wd like insomnia an headache but it’s nothing compared to benzo wd. If your struggling there’s no shame in getting on one till you start getting better. Hang In there.

In April 2021, I was put on Zoloft 25 at the same time I was put on Xanax .25 bid while I was in a crisis of anxiety caused by a health scare.  This was by my attending doctor and for one month.  With the blessing of my attending, I decided to see a psychiatrist who switched me to Klonopin 1mg twice daily and also increased the Zoloft to 50.  I never took two Klonopin in a day but did take 1.5 or even 1.75.  Long story short.....down to about 1.1 on the Klonopin taper and at a point where I doubt the Klonopin is doing much other than keeping me out of withdrawal....which is enough, but the anxiety has been fairly well controlled.  So while the only definitive way to know if the AD is helping would be if I had never been put on it...but I honestly do believe it has helped with anxiety control, which was the original purpose of it.

• 3 weeks later...

It can be hard to tell. I started taking AD at the same time as my withdrawals hit, so it's really hard to know how they have affected me.

I'm on a low dose, 10mg citalopram/celexa and am sloooowly start to updose 2.5mg a week at a time. I'm hoping that they help iron out the anxiety and depression side of withdrawals as they're really the only things bothering me.

• 2 months later...