Pllls vs. Capsules

[No...]

When I read about tapering, I see that it mostly applies to pills. But then I read more about water titration being used for capsule form.

Which brings me to the question: Is there a reason why certain benzos are only available in pill form vs. capsule form?

Is a medication purposely put in capsule form to prevent people from splitting/cutting them up? Is it the nature of the medication that determines whether it's in pill or capsule form? I say this because when I tried to cut up a capsule, it literally disintegrated.

Is whether a medication in pill or capsule form depend on the country?

I really wish my medication was in pill form because it does appear easier to micro taper.

Just curious.

Hello NovaTom,

I don't know the answer to your question about why capsules are used for some medications and not others. Capsules seem like they'd be harder to produce but would require less ingredients (as binders and other excipients that hold the tablet together aren't needed) and capsule shells I suspect are much slower to dissolve than tablets which could be beneficial in some cases.

I will say, I think that capsules are actually easier to micro taper. For one, you have a powdered form for your medicine (+filler), so no need to do any tablet crushing for either dry weighing or liquid solution/suspensions.

For dry weight adjustments, your capsules come with a free capsule! So I think a dry daily discard method would work by opening the capsule, tossing a little powder based on your intended weight reduction, then closing it back up again. I've fussed with capsules a lot for various supplements and it's been easy to do something like this.

The only issue I keep coming back to with dry weight capsule adjustment is the weight of the capsule itself. Two solutions come to mind, 1) ignore the capsule weight and just pretend it's a tablet weight and take reductions until the capsule is empty, 2) keep an empty capsule on hand to tare out the scale before taking reductions.

For at-home liquid solutions or suspensions, I think capsules don't have any major issues over tablets either. Yes, there's probably some residual powder left in the capsule after you pour all the powder into a liquid, but the bulk of capsules (like high potency benzo tablets) is actually filler. I personally wouldn't worry about residue left in the capsule unless it was a visible clump.

The only thing that seems to be off the table with capsules is splitting. It's unfortunate, but not a deal-breaker IMO. It's just a push to learn a more accurate method of reductions, and possibly to explore a DMT sooner than someone on tablets would.

I hope this helps. Just my opinions and ideas.  ;)

Thanks, that was very useful and actually a little inspiring. I'll look into it. My doctor seems to think the only way I need to taper is to just take a lower dosage at 22.5, but that's too steep for me. I haven't discussed Ashton with him yet.