4am cortisol surges

[Ac...]

After a few months of good sleep, I've had two weeks of waking up (and staying up) with the 4am cortisol surge and morning anxiety.   

The 4 am surge was the first indicator to me I had reached tolerance when I was on K, and had caused me to updose before quitting CT and experiencing full wd insomnia with zero nights.  So, for me, my history with the 4 am surge is that it preceded worse and so now I'm paranoid/anxious about it.  I was about to write my success story, but feeling now like I'm still quite damaged. I had no prior sleep issues before benzos.

Does this sound normal/ part of recovery?  Is there anything to do about it?  I've been very careful to follow advice here and avoid rx, otc, or supplements for sleep aids, but might be willing to explore something that evens out this cortisol issue. I worry this is doing long term damage to my body!

Yes, what you are describing sounds "completely normal" coming off a CT and only being 5 months off

It might take longer than 5 months to feel completely normal again?

There's nothing you can do about it.  It will pass given time.  I had several "sleep setbacks" years after I wrote my success story

There is no long term damage to your body.  It's all part of the process

I had a 6 week insomnia bout in January and February of this year after sleeping pretty well for almost 2 years.  It passed and I have been sleeping

well since then.

You'll get past this.  Time is the healer.  Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement, theway.  I need it- it's I've thing to intellectually know that healing is nonlinear, but another to encounter a setback, for multiple weeks.  I've had a bad few nights here and there, even a few stand alone zero nights,  but this is the longest lasting set back so far and is discouraging, making me question whether I've healed at all after making it past acute.

You are correct.  It is "easy" to intellectually acknowledge that healing is nonlinear, but another thing to actually "believe" it.

Our minds always go to the negative and worst case scenario.  Thoughts of being permanently damaged and never healing are constantly bombarding us.

But they are all lies...all nasty Benzo WD lies. 

You are healing and will heal.  You've made progress.  It's so easy to get disillusioned after a bad or long lasting wave.  It's so easy to go back to thinking we've made zero progress and

are still in acute.

That's simply not true.  You are healing and you will continue to heal!

Just do your best to ride out the waves and "setbacks."  They will come and usually when you least expect them, but eventually the Windows last longer and longer until the waves

end for good.

You'll get there.  Be patient, show gratitude, and take advantage of every minute you feel "normal" until this evens out for good!

My insomnia is all over the map. Zero nights, then a get a surprise 3 to 4 hour night, then zero again. Last night was about 30 mins but today I have energy as if I had slept. It's difficult to understand what's going on with me but I'll be happy when my organic sleep is back. I wish you all the best and many restful nights.

HM

• 3 weeks later...
This is still going on for me, and I just can't ever seem to make it past 4 or 430 am, or get back to sleep.  Does anyone know if there's anything to be done about this?  Cortisol test?  Vitamin deficiencies, etc ?

Yes, I don't take the 5 hours average for granted, but after 4am its of to the races with my heart rate, anxiety and chest tightness.  It's really uncomfortable.  I guess there's no magic supplement, technique, etc. That makes it better- just time, but it's so so uncomfortable.  And lonely.

Anyone else have this?  Anyone have any strategies for this?  Is this a vitamin deficiency I can correct or something?  This is wearing on me- has gone on longer than my initial acute phase.  Feels permanent!  Help!