I am shocked at the number of articles about antibiotics causing depression

[Mi...]

I have never done a search before on the internet like this:

I think I googled something like: "is it safe to take antibiotics during benzo withdrawal?"

And a plethora of articles came up. Many written by psychiatrists. Not really about antibiotic use while in withdrawal, but about how antibiotics have been know to cause depression sometimes.

Here is one of them:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/investigations/popular-antibiotics-linked-to-suicide-thoughts-depression-and-anxiety

I'm not currently in a medication setback or anything. I did however have a setback last fall to the regular flu vaccine. I am not needing an antibiotic. I was just curious.

Has anyone else searched this?

Any input on this?

If any members have been advised to take antibiotics by their doctors, take them. If you have concerns about side effects or questions about alternative antibiotics, discuss these with your doctor.

Most antibiotics for most people taking or quitting antibiotics are not a problem. And, antibiotics are routinely prescribed for ailments which, if left untreated, can become disfiguring, disabling, and even life-threatening.

Hi Colin,

Yes it's true. Antibiotics are very important. We all need to discuss potential side effects and weigh benefits vs risks with our physician.

This is probably a pointless topic.

You can remove it if you want to.

Hi Fortitude,

Well, I thought my post was needed to hammer home the point regarding the benefits (and risks of not using them when prescribed) because this point might have been lost upon some readers. But, neither did I think you did anything wrong in your post - any error was only one of omission.

I can remove the thread if you wish. But I think there is room for discussion around this subject.

Colin,

I just get so concerned with how the regular flu shot that I got in Oct 2020  set me back for four months, that I'm always looking and researching on this forum and elsewhere for answers to ease my worried mind about possible med sensitivities with other medications. When I came across the articles on antibiotics via Google search I was surprised. 

Anyway, I'm much better now. I'm back to my baseline and even more healed than that. That's the good news. Even though the flu shot is not an antibiotic, I did however heal from a Med Setback and I posted as such in the "Medication Induced Setback Support Group" to help others.

You're right, many people in withdrawal can take meds such as antibiotics while in tolerance, withdrawal, or afterwards with ease, but some can't. As you know there are several threads on this forum about it, and when someone has this issue rarely do they return to say that they no longer have med sensitivities when they healed.

I'm doing pretty well at 26 months med free, but this concern of needing future meds such as antibiotics, or a steroid or whatever is always on my mind - daily. Even though I'm healthy and don't need such medications now (knock on wood) while I continue to heal, i just wish I had that solid peace of mind.

I'm sure you've watched this topic come across your forum many times over the years. What's your take on it?

- Miss Fortitude