Alcohol question

[ab...]

[ab...]

Hello everyone. I have a question for those who have healed but still may linger around the board.

I had a short use WD off a Z-Drug Zopiclone. It took me approx 6 months to heal 90%. I am around 95% now after 9 months.

To those that have healed: Do you drink any alcohol at all? I gotta admit, I am missing having a Bacardi cooler once in a while, but if one cooler is going to send me back to months of insomnia again, screw that! I rather drink only water for the rest of my life than suffer what I went thru last year.

Would be interesting to hear your experiences though.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, i remember when i stopped taking xanax i felt i was healed 95 percent at just 3 months off, so i've had some alcohol one evening, after that i noticed my anxiety increased, but i did not think it was from alcohol, i drank several times after that not thinking my anxiety was getting worse from alcohol but due to different reasons, fast forward now im almost in acute at 20 months off and definitelly not even healing at this point, i now fully understand my anxiety worsening was from alcohol. I was recovered at 3 months off and i lost it all... definitelly would advise you to stay away from alcohol. At this point i dont even know if its possible to ever drink after all this

The only way to know is to try. We are all different. Maybe just try half a Bacardi breezer or less and see how you fair. There's some good low alcohol stuff around if you wanted to test the waters even slower, something sub 1% for example

Yes, I drink.

I just made up my mind that benzos were not going to steal from me some of the things that made life enjoyable. I was brought up in France, and had/have been accustomed to drinking wine. Now I live in one of the wine-producing areas of the US and prior to my benzo horror was really enjoying exploring wineries and tasting rooms. I guess I drank a glass of wine with dinner maybe 3 x a week. Then came the benzo nightmare and the tapering nightmare when I didn't drink alcohol or coffee or anything else I figured would delay my healing.

Fast forward to a year after my taper. I started with a tiny glass of wine, graduated to half a glass, and then to a full glass. Again, maybe 3x a week. I experienced no ill effects. Ditto coffee, fyi.

I guess I'd say I drink "mindfully". I enjoy all over again tasting wine from different wineries.

I would never advise someone to "stay away from alcohol". In fact I would never have the hubris to advise anyone on their alcohol usage. Laying out our experiences is one thing -- being prescriptive about someone else's behavior is another. (And, as  a matter of fact isn't this one of the things we are to avoid on here?)

So, Andros, that's my story. Hope it helps,

Katz

• 2 months later...
I drank 2-3 times a week for 6 months from day 14 without benzos, with little to no problems. If it caused anxiety, i would've known. Ofc it did slow the progress, as 12 momths later i only feel 50% myself. Though still it's a great success, as i put the drink down, to see how much better i get. I don't regret my drinking, the docs don't even have any other anti-glutamate. Ketamine nose spray, CBD or kratom seems to be the best alternative, but in my country the store has beer, and it's near my house. I remember i was healing even though i drank, first time i was drinking, next day i was shaking. A month later zero symptoms, but worrying about what i said after drinking still messed me up sometimes, started drinking 5 beers max instead, and i never got any problems. Except my liver didn't process alcohol properly. That's when i knew fate didn't want me to drink! As my grandfather was an alcoholic.

I drank throughout my taper as well and honestly I think it helped get me through.

But I am talking about just having a couple drinks or some wine with dinner.  I did not get drunk. 

You won’t know how you will react until you try it.  That said, if you have had issues with alcohol in the past, you should avoid it. 

• 1 month later...
[ab...]

Thanks for your replies guys. I read every one and it is deeply appreciated.

I might try a small amount at some point when I can afford to not sleep for a few days, in case I have a severe reaction.

But it is not a "huge" issue if I can never drink again. I was only a social drinker anyway, and even back then, that meant maybe a glass of Bacardi once or twice a month.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I have a question for those who have healed but still may linger around the board.

I had a short use WD off a Z-Drug Zopiclone. It took me approx 6 months to heal 90%. I am around 95% now after 9 months.

To those that have healed: Do you drink any alcohol at all? I gotta admit, I am missing having a Bacardi cooler once in a while, but if one cooler is going to send me back to months of insomnia again, screw that! I rather drink only water for the rest of my life than suffer what I went thru last year.

I am not a big drinker but I did have one drink last night before going to bed. It felt good. I enjoyed it and it did not impact me in any negative way but YMMV as they say. If it bothers you, then abstain. If it does not, enjoy but keep it under 2 drinks in any 24 hour period. Alcohol can and will cause other health issues if consumed in excess for long periods.

• 3 weeks later...
[ab...]

I am not a big drinker but I did have one drink last night before going to bed. It felt good. I enjoyed it and it did not impact me in any negative way but YMMV as they say. If it bothers you, then abstain. If it does not, enjoy but keep it under 2 drinks in any 24 hour period. Alcohol can and will cause other health issues if consumed in excess for long periods.

That's interesting. So you are still in W/D, but one drink did not negatively affect you?

I find I am missing a nice Bacardi cooler more than I thought. But I miss sleeping even more, lol.

Andros1. Please report back when you have tried an alcoholic beverage.  I also miss my social drinking of a glass of wine or two.  When I do try it, I will tip toe with a wine spritzer.  I just don’t understand how drinking alcohol moderately can reverse all the time and progress made but definitely don’t want that to happen!  Wishing the best when you decide to try this!

I wouldn’t say it eliminates your progress, at least it did not for me.  But I suppose it could bring on a wave if you drank too much.  Keep it at two drinks or fewer and you should be good.

That's interesting. So you are still in W/D, but one drink did not negatively affect you?

I find I am missing a nice Bacardi cooler more than I thought. But I miss sleeping even more, lol.

Correct....I did feel the effects of the one drink slightly. It wore off and had no negative impact that I could perceive. I am unsure if I can post pics on this board, so here is a link to the amount of alcohol I drank. I took this pic with my iPhone prior to drinking.

https://i.postimg.cc/YCWRF2Tt/One-Drink.jpg

I stupidly had a few beers last night. I'd basically had enough and just thought screw it I'm having a beer. Problem is it tasted fantastic and had another. Waiting for the payback now though, so not really worth it. I'm just so sick of this shit, and want some normality back in my life

I hear you Having a mare. I feel the exact same way. These drugs ruin your life in so many ways. They ruin relationships and cost jobs frequently. I have become basically a hermit bc I always don't feel well enough to do things other ppl are out doing and enjoying their lives. The only time I don't feel sick and unwell is when I am asleep.

[ab...]

I was only on the z-drug for one month, and here I am, literally a year and 2 months afterward, and I'd say I recovered 95%. I can sleep and have no symptoms, but I have to watch my sleep hygiene like a hawk. I had to completely give up caffeine, and trying to diet just became 10x harder, because if I don't eat, I don't sleep (before I could go literally 3 days in a row with no food, and still able to sleep).

So maybe I will try some alcohol..........................a year from now? Maybe 2 years? Maybe never? I haven't decided yet.

I am going to start asking BB when they post success stories if they have had any alcoholic beverages.  From most posts I have read on alcohol, it is from people who were still in recovery and had results that set them back a bit.  Usually the success stories never mention alcohol so I am not sure if they got that part of their life back.  I do miss my evening wine but have found that I can now keep at my ideal effort without any difficulty so I guess I am getting a side benefit!

Usually the success stories never mention alcohol so I am not sure if they got that part of their life back.

I started small. A tiny glass of wine. That's how I got that part of my life back.  ;)

Katz

I’m just gunna say it. I miss my huge glass of red cooking dinner and listening to my tunes. And getting a bit sideways. Oh I do miss it

I think what I miss the most is having a choice. It’s not living

Maybe later you can try it again, Shay.

I just didn't want benzos to rob me of EVERYTHING I used to enjoy for crap's sake. I was brought up in France, and drinking wine is part of the culture. As well, we live in a major wine-grape growing part of OR and I just damned well wanted to go back to rambling through vineyards and going to tasting rooms. Then COVID came along to make our lives complete . . . but maybe soon . . .

Ha.

Katz

Nah… I think it’s too soon for me katz. My stomach issues are finally gone mostly so I don’t want to mess with that progress. One day tho… ;)

Glad u can enjoy a glass again tho. The simple things right? X

[ab...]

I suppose I could . . . but I only ever drank one glass with dinner, so I stick to that.

:smitten:

Katz

I used to travel quite a bit within Canada, and I remember when I would casually just drink a red wine with my meals on the flights. That ain't's happenin's now!!!

[ab...]

Nah… I think it’s too soon for me katz. My stomach issues are finally gone mostly so I don’t want to mess with that progress. One day tho… ;)

Glad u can enjoy a glass again tho. The simple things right? X

I would HIGHLY recommend that once you start improving, and once you start getting your sleep back, do NOT even think about trying any alcohol, at least for the next 2 years.

I also miss the occasional Bacardis I used to have, but I also miss my normal life, which I somewhat have back, but not 100%. My field of worth requires having a fresh mind to deal with the crazy IT problems, and the 100's of different technologies that are all intertwined to make things work. I'm not in a place where I can risk sleeping only 2hr a day for the next few weeks. I may never be there, unless I retire, lol, but that's like 25 years away for me.

And since I also got the stupid Omicron, I've had to dip down to my sleeping stash rotation again and am thankful it works for me, otherwise I'd be a wreck again (I am slowly healing, but what kind of flu gives you massive migraines, especially in the middle of the night?)