Author Topic: Alcohol question  (Read 5089 times)

[Buddie]

Alcohol question
« on: August 05, 2021, 01:59:29 am »
Hello everyone. I have a question for those who have healed but still may linger around the board.

I had a short use WD off a Z-Drug Zopiclone. It took me approx 6 months to heal 90%. I am around 95% now after 9 months.

To those that have healed: Do you drink any alcohol at all? I gotta admit, I am missing having a Bacardi cooler once in a while, but if one cooler is going to send me back to months of insomnia again, screw that! I rather drink only water for the rest of my life than suffer what I went thru last year.

Would be interesting to hear your experiences though.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Alcohol question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 06:44:54 pm »
Hello, i remember when i stopped taking xanax i felt i was healed 95 percent at just 3 months off, so i've had some alcohol one evening, after that i noticed my anxiety increased, but i did not think it was from alcohol, i drank several times after that not thinking my anxiety was getting worse from alcohol but due to different reasons, fast forward now im almost in acute at 20 months off and definitelly not even healing at this point, i now fully understand my anxiety worsening was from alcohol. I was recovered at 3 months off and i lost it all... definitelly would advise you to stay away from alcohol. At this point i dont even know if its possible to ever drink after all this
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 06:50:57 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 06:54:19 pm »
The only way to know is to try. We are all different. Maybe just try half a Bacardi breezer or less and see how you fair. There's some good low alcohol stuff around if you wanted to test the waters even slower, something sub 1% for example

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 07:15:01 pm »
Yes, I drink.

I just made up my mind that benzos were not going to steal from me some of the things that made life enjoyable. I was brought up in France, and had/have been accustomed to drinking wine. Now I live in one of the wine-producing areas of the US and prior to my benzo horror was really enjoying exploring wineries and tasting rooms. I guess I drank a glass of wine with dinner maybe 3 x a week. Then came the benzo nightmare and the tapering nightmare when I didn't drink alcohol or coffee or anything else I figured would delay my healing.

Fast forward to a year after my taper. I started with a tiny glass of wine, graduated to half a glass, and then to a full glass. Again, maybe 3x a week. I experienced no ill effects. Ditto coffee, fyi.

I guess I'd say I drink "mindfully". I enjoy all over again tasting wine from different wineries.

I would never advise someone to "stay away from alcohol". In fact I would never have the hubris to advise anyone on their alcohol usage. Laying out our experiences is one thing -- being prescriptive about someone else's behavior is another. (And, as  a matter of fact isn't this one of the things we are to avoid on here?)

So, Andros, that's my story. Hope it helps,

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 06:45:50 pm »
I drank 2-3 times a week for 6 months from day 14 without benzos, with little to no problems. If it caused anxiety, i would've known. Ofc it did slow the progress, as 12 momths later i only feel 50% myself. Though still it's a great success, as i put the drink down, to see how much better i get. I don't regret my drinking, the docs don't even have any other anti-glutamate. Ketamine nose spray, CBD or kratom seems to be the best alternative, but in my country the store has beer, and it's near my house. I remember i was healing even though i drank, first time i was drinking, next day i was shaking. A month later zero symptoms, but worrying about what i said after drinking still messed me up sometimes, started drinking 5 beers max instead, and i never got any problems. Except my liver didn't process alcohol properly. That's when i knew fate didn't want me to drink! As my grandfather was an alcoholic.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 11:08:06 am »
I drank throughout my taper as well and honestly I think it helped get me through.

But I am talking about just having a couple drinks or some wine with dinner.  I did not get drunk. 

You won’t know how you will react until you try it.  That said, if you have had issues with alcohol in the past, you should avoid it. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 02:06:35 am »
Thanks for your replies guys. I read every one and it is deeply appreciated.

I might try a small amount at some point when I can afford to not sleep for a few days, in case I have a severe reaction.

But it is not a "huge" issue if I can never drink again. I was only a social drinker anyway, and even back then, that meant maybe a glass of Bacardi once or twice a month.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 09:52:08 pm »
Alcohol contributes to candida, so watch out. Only problem i got, white disgusting tongue.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 06:16:15 pm »
Hello everyone. I have a question for those who have healed but still may linger around the board.

I had a short use WD off a Z-Drug Zopiclone. It took me approx 6 months to heal 90%. I am around 95% now after 9 months.

To those that have healed: Do you drink any alcohol at all? I gotta admit, I am missing having a Bacardi cooler once in a while, but if one cooler is going to send me back to months of insomnia again, screw that! I rather drink only water for the rest of my life than suffer what I went thru last year.

I am not a big drinker but I did have one drink last night before going to bed. It felt good. I enjoyed it and it did not impact me in any negative way but YMMV as they say. If it bothers you, then abstain. If it does not, enjoy but keep it under 2 drinks in any 24 hour period. Alcohol can and will cause other health issues if consumed in excess for long periods.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 07:47:06 pm »

I am not a big drinker but I did have one drink last night before going to bed. It felt good. I enjoyed it and it did not impact me in any negative way but YMMV as they say. If it bothers you, then abstain. If it does not, enjoy but keep it under 2 drinks in any 24 hour period. Alcohol can and will cause other health issues if consumed in excess for long periods.

That's interesting. So you are still in W/D, but one drink did not negatively affect you?

I find I am missing a nice Bacardi cooler more than I thought. But I miss sleeping even more, lol.