Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Please someone, respond to me ? ABOUT BUSPIRONE

[Fo...]

I keep reading that if you stop a benzo while on buspirone, you can have a seizure, im trying to understand why taking this medication would effect that? Anyone know ? Anyone take buspirone and like it ?

Stopping a benzo cold can cause a seizure so im trying to understand why taking this would effect that more or ? I'm confused

Fox, i've not heard that. I"m taking Buspirone, 10-15 mg 3 x per day. Doctor prescribed it while on my taper. I have not finished my taper so i don't know if it makes it worse or not. But i do like Buspirone. It's really not enough to deal with the anxiety but it definitely takes the edge off. Just be sure you get a high enough dose. My psychiatrist told me regular doctors prescribe much smaller doses and it does no good. i believe the highest dose they'll prescribe is 60 mg total per day. That's what i was told anyway.

I keep reading that if you stop a benzo while on buspirone, you can have a seizure

I've not heard that, Fox. I used to take Buspar and no one (certainly not  a doc) mentioned this to me. As well, I googled the two terms benzo + buspar and found nothing relevant. Are you sure the sources you're reading are credible? Just wondering . . .  :-\

Katz

I am taking Buspar while tapering from Clonazapam.  I have not heard nor read about the issue you post about.  My Doctor did not give me any warnings about it and was happy to continue the Buspar if it makes it easier to get through the taper. For me, it certainly does.  I am not worried about taking it.

I am always skeptical of info that does not come from a reliable source. It is so easy to fixate on the worst, especially when we are so sensitive and going through so much. In those situations I call or email my Pdoc or my internist. Everyone here is very well meaning and supportive, but can’t give medical advice (or shouldn’t.) So if you are worried, I’d get in touch with one of your Docs or at the very least perhaps a Nurse helpline at a local hospital.

Let us know what you find out.  My hunch is that you will likely be relieved, but am not a medical professional.

Take care,

Butterfly 🦋