Introduction -40 years on Diazepam

[Ol...]

Started on Diazepam 1970- yes 1970 -for muscle spasms. Been updosing since to 2008 to 30mg daily. Fought updosing  all the time and symptoms suffered diagnosed as CFS, ME etc. I became convinced symptoms actually caused by diazepam 'withdrawal' and body wanting more all the time. and decided had to withdraw. After several attempts over years finally reduced to zero two weeks ago after taper over 6 months. Was prescribed medication to help last withdrawal, which it has, but not sure if can name it on here? Found symptoms very bad over last two weeks and can't say not been tempted to take the odd milligram but haven't. Everything I've read says not known how long it can take after taking last pill - everyone different - especially after being on it for so long. Perhaps came off too quickly after taking for such a long time? Anyone had similar experience?

Hi Olddave, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on being benzo free, not an easy feat, we know!  I'm glad you haven't given into the temptation to take another bit of Valium, the only way to be free of the symptoms is to let time and healing take it's course.  Even though you were on the drug for a long time, we would have suggested the same taper schedule for you, which would have been about a 10% reduction to your total dose every wee or two.  What was your taper like, I guess I could do the math since you told us you took 6 months but I think I'll just let you tell me.

You can mention what drug you're taking for help here, but I'm not surprised to hear you're still suffering symptoms.  I've not heard of anything which really helps except time.

Please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pam

Hi Pam, Thanks for that swift response. Can I say I've found the site really hard to navigate up to now but at least I've progressed this far. Perhaps it's my age! The drug is Pregabalin and I found out, after internet research, it had been used with some success in Norway to help Diazepam withdrawal. My GP has been very helpful and prescribed it for me. I've split it into small doses, using empty capsules I bought and a steady hand, and found that divided doses of 25mg approx every three hours phasing from 200mg to 75mg daily over the course of each withdrawal of 1 mg and 1/2 mg diazepam helped a lot with symptoms such as anxiety and muscle spasms. But it's by no means a wonder drug. If I took more than that I had symptoms caused by the Pregabalin such as weight gain, constipation, urinary retention, dizziness, poor short term memory  and others listed under Pregabalin. It's very much a balancing act and I'm still taking 125 - 150mg Pregabalin daily in the divided doses. I seem to be stuck on that dose at the moment. My GP has been very helpful, I think he's interested to see how I do as he has no other ideas. He also gave me Phenergan on prescription for sleeping. I've had terrible trouble sleeping and I'm careful about not becoming hooked on it for sleeping. Incidentally Pregabalin can also be addictive but only has half life of seven hours and I keep it to minimum and reduce asap when I can manage without.

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty navigating, but you're doing very well so far, hopefully with practice you'll get more comfortable.  I wasn't very savvy when I first arrived, but got the hang of it after much trial and error.  :D

I understand the balancing act you're doing with the other meds, and I'm glad you're aware of the pitfalls.  We have a board here called Other Prescribed Medications where people go to get feedback about all sorts of drugs in case you'd like to check it out. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=60.0

It's good to hear your Dr is working with you on this, oftentimes we find that we don't get much validation from the medical community about how severe our symptoms are and how long it takes to heal.

I'm sure you probably know that it might be some time yet before you feel well again, I hope you're not discouraged by this, but it's good to be prepared.

Welcome to BB, Dave (I am going to leave the old out, LOL).  You will get used to using this site.  Congratulations for getting off the benzo.  This is definately a difficult journey.  We have/had members who were/are able to get off after taking the benzo for 20 years and more and with much higher doses.  Vent away.

Patty  xo

Welcome to BenzoBuddies Dave!

Congrats on being benzo free!

You'll receive lots of support to help you along the way.

Let us know if you're having problems navigating the forum.  We're here to help :)

Thanks to all those who have responded to my intro. Yes I suppose I expected/hoped to feel much better after finally being off completely for a week or two but I realise it's going to take a while. I've never been a 'cry baby' but I've found that I get weepy at silly old romantic films. The thing that made me really determined to come off was that I started to have peripheral neuropathy in my lower legs. Not sure if the D is the cause but I read that it can be a symptom of long term use (I think 40yrs qualifies as long term) and WD. I've also read that it can take a few years to go, if it is the cause, and sometimes doesn't) I feel the cold a lot in my feet with it. I don't think there are many things WD can't take the blame for. I've certainly had many strange experiences that I never had previously - ringing in ears, dry mouth, metallic taste - just read the lists of DW available on line and I must have had half of them. One goes and another takes it's place. I'm sure you've all had similar experience. Am I allowed to vent how I feel about about D and the way it continues to be prescribed etc. on this site? Or would it just be a waste of time. I'm sure there's no one on here who doesn't feel the same way. I wish I didn't feel so bitter about it and how I feel it's ruined my life - but it's not easy. Sorry to be taking so much space but I suppose it's therapeutic to be able to let of a bit of steam. Thanks again. Dave (not young anymore)

Hello, and welcome!  Btw, I know what you mean about getting embarrassingly weepy at stupid stuff.  These days, everytime I see a headline about a puppy being rescued from some danger I get all teared up!  :'( ;):)

Hi Dave,

You can vent all you like, we all have.  This is the place you can come to when you need validation for what you're feeling and what you've endured.  When you heal from this, you're going to be amazed at how good you feel.  You don't realize when you're on the drug just how much it's stolen from you, life gets really good when you get past this. 

Try not to hang on too tightly to your anger, it feeds the withdrawal symptoms and just makes you feel worse.  I'm glad you've educated yourself so well about the symptoms, I kept reading chapter 3 of the Ashton Manual to see what I was feeling in black and white.  Hang in there Dave, the best is yet to come!

Thanks Pam, I'm really appreciating the support I've had already. Yes I've done the same with the Ashton Manual. It's tea time now and I always feel worse around this time of day. Do you know if this is common?

Thanks to all those who have responded to my intro. Yes I suppose I expected/hoped to feel much better after finally being off completely for a week or two but I realise it's going to take a while. I've never been a 'cry baby' but I've found that I get weepy at silly old romantic films. The thing that made me really determined to come off was that I started to have peripheral neuropathy in my lower legs. Not sure if the D is the cause but I read that it can be a symptom of long term use (I think 40yrs qualifies as long term) and WD. I've also read that it can take a few years to go, if it is the cause, and sometimes doesn't) I feel the cold a lot in my feet with it. I don't think there are many things WD can't take the blame for. I've certainly had many strange experiences that I never had previously - ringing in ears, dry mouth, metallic taste - just read the lists of DW available on line and I must have had half of them. One goes and another takes it's place. I'm sure you've all had similar experience. Am I allowed to vent how I feel about about D and the way it continues to be prescribed etc. on this site? Or would it just be a waste of time. I'm sure there's no one on here who doesn't feel the same way. I wish I didn't feel so bitter about it and how I feel it's ruined my life - but it's not easy. Sorry to be taking so much space but I suppose it's therapeutic to be able to let of a bit of steam. Thanks again. Dave (not young anymore)

Hi, Dave. 

I just wanted to mention that years ago I developed diabetic peripheral neuropathy in my fingers and started taking 200mg Alpha Lipoic Acid capsules as recommended by my doctor.  After a few months, the pain was gone.  You might want to research it for yourself and try it if it seems appropriate.  BTW, I took it the whole time I was tapering off lorazepam and had no ill effects from it.

Hi Dave,

I find my worst time of the day is upon wakening which lasts an hour or two and then right after dinner.  However, this process is so weird that it can change from one minute to the next.  Many of us have found that chamomille tea is soothing on our systems, by the way.

Patty  xo

Welcome, Dave.

Mornings use to be the worst time of day for me as well.  I used to wake up feeling like I was being shot out of a cannon, and over a few hours the anxiety would lessen.

As stoneyco mentioned, chamomille tea works for some.

• 1 year later...

Me too, Dave, found you! Gee, I read your intro and guess I didn't realize you started Valium in 1970. I knew it was a very long time, but seeing the 1970 really brought it home.

I hope you are getting a few bright spots, my friend,

Flip

Hi Dave,

Thanks for popping and welcoming me, it is nice to see so many familiar names here and am just trying to find my way around a little before starting a blog ... how you keeping ?

Mike

Hello Dave :hug:

How are you doing, i hope you are ok. Have you started a blog yet???? I havent done so yet but it looks more like what we are used to in the blog section, i must be getting old i cant find my way around its confusing :idiot::laugh:

take care

Margarita  :)

Hi Margarita!

Dave does have a blog. It is at -

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=45843.0

I felt a bit lost too. We will help each other. There is only one place to start a blog and that is in Buddy blogs, part way down the forum. Just click on "New Topic", and whatever ever title you choose for your first post will be the name of your blog. It's quite simple. 

Bring yourbkipper and move into the neighborhood with us. The hood, as Laura says.

Sorry for the hijack, Dave.  :angel:

Flip