Why do mental symptoms seem so much harder than physical?

[le...]

Have struggled to find people with mainly mental symptoms this far out. The majority seem be mainly physical wondered why. I never had mental symptoms before withdrawal, took meds for insomnia. Could cope with physical symptoms, had IBS for years, and headaches, migraines on regular basis, so got really high pain threshold,  but the anxiety makes any sort normal function impossible, initially had nausea, dizzyness, lack appetite, flare up IBS symptoms, severe sinus pain, only remaining physical are vision problems , tiredness. I coped for years with insomnia but managed work full time and function, but these mental symptoms just completely floored me.  Just wondering if it's because I've coped with headaches fir years so almost got used to some sort background pain? Also  it's more  difficult to distract with mental symptoms, I don't know ?
  • Like 1

I'm not 'far out' if you talking ambien... still on some.

But I have always had mental stuff from these meds that never had before.  Do have some physical, but the confusion, depression, feeling of dread has been awful. 

I'm 30 months off zopiclone, just seems most people's long term symptoms are physical rather than mental for some reason?  Could understand if was pre existing, but never had them before?

• 2 years later...
[Va...]

This is old but I would also say that mental symptoms are much harder for one simple reason: if You are mentally stable and experience physical symptom/s You can just ignore them more easily, as You would if You weren't benzo injured (I for example in high school was playing volleyball with stitches in my fingers - I didn't care) but when You're mentally unwell every symptom be it physical or mental will be much harder to deal with (like I don't know twisting an ankle after breakup with a girlfriend - it would be much harder to endure).

If benzo wouldn't cross the blood brain barrier withdrawal syndrome would be 10 times easier to manage.

• Like 2

[Th...]

I am definitely suffering far worse from the mental recovery than I am the physical. I've struggled with pain all my life from birth defects and I swear my brain has gotten numb or shut off much of the pain signals. I find the mental side of healing...the confusion, becoming frustrated, inability to think and formulate speech correctly,  the anxiety,  depression, loss of self, flashing lights, ripping tinnitus, ect... all far worse than all the physical stuff I went through during the acute phase. Your connection to your entire world relates to the condition of your brain and when it's not functioning properly, at least for me, it's the most debilitating. 

• Like 3

[An...]

The OP wrote this on July 28, 2021.

I am surprised you were able to revive and reply to this thread.

@[Co...], I thought posts from 2021 were deprecated.

[An...]
55 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

I am definitely suffering far worse from the mental recovery than I am the physical. I've struggled with pain all my life from birth defects and I swear my brain has gotten numb or shut off much of the pain signals. I find the mental side of healing...the confusion, becoming frustrated, inability to think and formulate speech correctly,  the anxiety,  depression, loss of self, flashing lights, ripping tinnitus, ect... all far worse than all the physical stuff I went through during the acute phase. Your connection to your entire world relates to the condition of your brain and when it's not functioning properly, at least for me, it's the most debilitating. 

I also think the mental can be harder than the physical. To me, the mental seems more continuous. I get breaks from the physical but some of the mental stuff is chronic and non-stop.

• Like 1

[Co...]
59 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

The OP wrote this on July 28, 2021.

I am surprised you were able to revive and reply to this thread.

@[Co...], I thought posts from 2021 were deprecated.

Not all content was archived. If an old topic is not located within archived forums, you can reply to it.

If there are old topics you'd like to see unarchived which fits with the present forums, please post a request to the Feedback forum or the Helpdesk.

[An...]
7 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Not all content was archived. If an old topic is not located within archived forums, you can reply to it.

If there are old topics you'd like to see unarchived which fits with the present forums, please post a request to the Feedback forum or the Helpdesk.

OIC, thanks! 👍