How long can we Function on No Sleep??

[Ho...]

Please HELP! How long can we function- drive my children, cook meals, make decisions, clean house, work…with zero sleep?

Is there a good way to combat insomnia and get Sleep??🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Thank you ever so much! What an inspiring post!! 🙏🏻 I will do my best not to judge myself harshly for the insomnia and try to embrace my healing

Hi hope I’m in the same boat as you, and get 0-3 hrs a night. It’s very difficult, but I have a family too snd just do my best. When my sleep gets very bad I have to take a unisom to break the pattern. I’d rather not take it but sometimes I must sleep. Stay strong x

Please HELP! How long can we function- drive my children, cook meals, make decisions, clean house, work…with zero sleep?

I have the same question as you do. I have always valued my sleep tremendously and now I have to be happy without it. It's hard. I have also had 0 to 3 hours of sleep (sometimes 30 minutes!) since I started tapering 3 months ago. I try to hang onto the positive posts of people who had long term, chronic, severe insomnia and got better and got their sleep back. I wish you (and me) lot's of restful nights in the future. In the meantime, we just have to hang in there.

HM

This isn’t a competition, but I’ve been like this nearly 3 years. I went into tolerance wd and it’s been really bad the entire time.

I’m still here. U can do this too xx

This isn’t a competition, but I’ve been like this nearly 3 years. I went into tolerance wd and it’s been really bad the entire time.

I’m still here. U can do this too xx

That's a long time :( At least you have the Unisom to help on occasion. I admire that. I am hanging in there the best I can.

HM

It is. But even tho I was getting more sleep on zopiclone (not always but some nights) I was very very sick. So I’d still rather be off. X

Nothing really helps me sleep although I still take melatonin out of habit. I have for many years. I wish I had something in my back pocket that would work in a pinch but I don't. I have the Paxil for depression and it works great for that. It even helps anxiety. But it makes me wired. I thought about cutting the tablets in half and just taking 5mg but I don't want to become dependent on an SSRI that makes my insomnia worse than the 0 to 3 it already is.

It's tough.

HM

I’m not allowed to tell u what to do, but I’m thinking a good place for the Paxil is in the bin.

U need sedating not activating.

I agree with you. I'll see how the Trazodone works for me but I heard that reaches tolerance too. Some people can take it for years but others, it quits working for. Then I would have to wean off of it. I also need help with depression, nut just sleep. So, hopefully, the T will help with that too.

Ok so do what u gotta do. There’s no prizes for bravery in this. If u find a med that helps u get thru this u take it. Never beat urself up for trying to find a way out of this mess. No judgement at all from me x  :smitten:

I'm not setting my hopes too high as it didn't work for me 5 years ago when I had 5 sleepless nights in a row due to coming off a med and having WD. Thank God, my sleep came back! But THIS...this is much harder and longer and more severe. I do have some pre-existing insomnia but not 0 to 3! That's benzo WD for sure. I got a rare 3 to 4 hours the other night and almost felt 'refreshed' because I am so accustomed to 0 to 3.

HM

"The effects of going more than 24 hours without sleep" https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324799

Sorry I don’t see how this is helpful? We aren’t sleeping because of benzo injury so weather we sleep or not is completely out of our hands.

Please ignore this link if u are suffering benzo induced insomnia.

"The effects of going more than 24 hours without sleep" https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324799

Sorry I don’t see how this is helpful? We aren’t sleeping because of benzo injury so weather we sleep or not is completely out of our hands.

Please ignore this thread if u are suffering benzo induced insomnia.

Hi Shay.. :)

Sadly im having to brush up on this topic myself.. :(

Knowing FI a little, I suspect the message was something like, -If one can find a med that helps, then dont feel bad or be too stubborn about it all..??

-Probs best we hear that from him though..

:)

Im sorry u are having a hard time with sleep too cant x it sucks.

I just think worrying people on here with media that says we need x amount of sleep or X, Y Z will happen is unhelpful. And planting the Fatal insomnia seed is even more harmful in people whose brains are attaching to the negative.

Its not like were doing it on purpose.

Also. after a year of CBTi therapy I can say without a doubt it does not touch benzo insomnia. It just doesn't.

I could do everything perfect every day and have different outcomes every night. We aren't talking about run of the mill insomnia. I hope the way sees this and chimes in.

Im sorry u are having a hard time with sleep too cant x it sucks.

I just think worrying people on here with media that says we need x amount of sleep or X, Y Z will happen is unhelpful. And planting the Fatal insomnia seed is even more harmful in people whose brains are attaching to the negative.

Its not like were doing it on purpose.

Also. after a year of CBTi therapy I can say without a doubt it does not touch benzo insomnia. It just doesn't.

I could do everything perfect every day and have different outcomes every night. We aren't talking about run of the mill insomnia. I hope the way sees this and chimes in.

Fair call..!! —No arguments from me..

Yes, imo, TheWay (and many others) has had a pretty good grasp on this, as it applies to discontinuation, for a long time..

I did nocturnal for years, but 4-5 through the day got me through ok.. Now im kinda polarising in a kinda “paradoxical” way.. Pretty minor compared to many of you guys, and I hope its just part of a recent shake up...

You guys really going through it proper get all my respect and empathy..

Cant, You are an amazing warrior urself.

I know there are a few whos sleep drive swapped from night to day, and this would also suck.

I get worried when people post things that help traditional insomnia because it just makes us think even more "there must be something REALLY wrong with me"

Nope, otherwise, I surely would have died 1 year to 18 months ago from fatal insomnia. ::) nope... still here.

Please ignore this thread if u are suffering benzo induced insomnia.

Hi Shay.. :)

Sadly im having to brush up on this topic myself.. :(

Knowing FI a little, I suspect the message was something like, -If one can find a med that helps, then dont feel bad or be too stubborn about it all..??

-Probs best we hear that from him though..

:)

Thanks Catfly for trying to deescalate the direction that this thread was heading. I understand that withdrawal from Benzodiazepines contributes to insomnia and insomnia can lead to sleep deprivation. I have experienced both to alarmingly disturbed degrees. HopeToHeal stated: "Please HELP! How long can we function- drive my children, cook meals, make decisions, clean house, work…with zero sleep?" I posted a link to a well documented article from a respected publisher which I believe may help to answer some of her questions. Perhaps another medication or behavior modification may help and perhaps it may not. In any case, sleep deprivation has been shown to be very unhealthy for the person suffering from it and also for the people affected by those who are sleep deprived. I am very concerned that HopeToHealing is suffering from insomnia and I'm also very concerned that she may develop sleep deprivation which may affect those around her like her children, pedestrians and others if she tries to drive while being sleep deprived. As the article which I linked  stated: "For example, sleep deprivation can increase the risk of dangerous accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2015, U.S. police reported 90,000 motor vehicle crashes that involved sleep-deprived drivers. The NHTSA also state that drowsy driving claimed 795 lives in 2017." I sincerely wish that HopeToHeal will seek professional assistance. Sincere Best Wishes to All  :smitten:

Fair points you did answer her question to a degree. But unfortunately for those blessed with wd insomnia we can actually function much longer than the information suggests, I know from experience unfortunately.

I can go days at a time without sleep and I still drive, look after my family, pay bills, cook meals ect. I think it’s more important to normalize benzo insomnia that to look at research based on people who choose not to sleep for research purposes.

I’m actually not trying to escalate things, just suggesting it’s unhelpful to post things that say it can cause other illnesses. A benzo brain will go to worst case scenario always. And someone who is terrified of the insomnia will see “fatal insomnia” and freak out.

I know that wasn’t your intention, just saying.

I took the older Tofranil and Norpramin AD's and they were sedating and helped me sleep and I felt fine the next day.  Doxepin is also sedating and it comes in liquid, so you can try a few drops at bedtime.  I didn't continue with the Doxepin though since it's quite sedating.  Trazodone was too sedating for me and it didn't wear off the next day.  The newer AD's made me sick and insane.  I had gunshot blasts going off in my head trying Celexa and Zoloft made me completely numb mentally.

Fair points you did answer her question to a degree. But unfortunately for those blessed with wd insomnia we can actually function much longer than the information suggests, I know from experience unfortunately.

I can go days at a time without sleep and I still drive, look after my family, pay bills, cook meals ect. I think it’s more important to normalize benzo insomnia that to look at research based on people who choose not to sleep for research purposes.

I’m actually not trying to escalate things, just suggesting it’s unhelpful to post things that say it can cause other illnesses. A benzo brain will go to worst case scenario always. And someone who is terrified of the insomnia will see “fatal insomnia” and freak out.

I know that wasn’t your intention, just saying.

Well said Shayna,

Those studies and "arguments" made by medical/psychological professionals do not help anyone going through Benzo induced insomnia.

Suggesting that you should do almost anything to get sleep or something bad will happen to you might apply to a very very small percentage of the population that is sleep deprived, but I can almost guarantee the study did NOT look at those sleep deprived as a result of Benzo or other Rx drug use?  Millions around the world suffer from the regular old "garden variety" insomnia that isn't caused from getting off of Benzos and most studies are going to look at sleep deprivation in that group of people.

Like you, I could go for days with no sleep and never have to worry about nodding off while driving or at work...My brain was "wired" all the time even though my body felt tired.  If I could

have nodded off in my car or at work I would be able to nod off in bed from time to time and that almost never happened

I'm not suggesting that those that need to sleep shouldn't  try some other non-Benzo drug or OTC sleep aid....you do what you think is best for you.  That's not the point, but trying to "scare"

people into taking something because they haven't slept a minimum amount of time each day while in Benzo WD is totally reckless IMO!

Personally nothing worked for me for more than a night or two anyway, so I wanted sleep to return naturally and on it's own without mixing in any drugs.  Although I did get some relief from low dose seroquel (under 50mg), It made me feel horrible, spaced out and hung over the next day.  It greatly added to my DP/DR so I stopped taking that too.

Maybe normal sleep deprivation over long periods of time can affect your health, but I've never heard of anyone being sleep deprived from Benzos suffering

any sort of long-term health issues?  I'll take my experience and the experience of hundreds of others over any study anytime.  The person with an "experience" is never at

the mercy of a person with an "argument" or study!  -- just sayin!

Our individual and collective EXPERIENCES always Trump whatever their study might conclude!