ADs for insomnia: amitripline and trimipramine, anyone tried?

[Qu...]

Hi buddies. I'm taking quetiapine and trazodone to get some relief from insomnia. They worked nicely for a while at low dosage (50mg quetiapine + 37mg trazodone). Then I had to updose (75mg quetiapine + 25mg trazodone). They make me fall asleep but no more than 4h.

Has anyone here tried old ADs like amitripline and trimipramine at low dose for sleeping?

Yes.

Ok, this is my experience. It was very bad.

Amitriptiline… wow. I had every single side effect. At 10,25,50mg. I felt like my brain was splitting in 2. I would get these horrific one side headaches and be in bed for hours. My dr said it would take a few weeks to settle. That’s when my eye was damaged ( I later found out I should have been taken off it immediately as it can cause glaucoma!)

I got changed off amitriptiline by yet another psychiatrist to dotheipine. Then change over was horrific and during that period I was made redundant and my hubby had his stroke. I stayed on it even tho it never helped my sleep because I needed to be kinda stable to get my hubby thru his hospitalization.

Neither helped my sleep but dotheipine was definitely better than amitriptiline.

In saying that I have a friend who takes 10mg a night and it zonks her out but she’s not benzo damaged.

I took Paxil for 4 nights and it helped my depression tremendously! BUT made me WIRED and made it impossible to sleep. I know you're supposed to give it several weeks to work but I didn't want to become brain dependent on it, only to find out the 'wired' thing never goes away. I am considering trying Trazodone although, when I tried it a few years ago, it didn't help my insomnia stint that I was having. This 'stint' is much longer, but just as severe. Benzo WD insomnia is something else!

I want something to help me sleep but I also want help with dark thought that happen because I'm not sleeping.

Know what I mean?  HM

I tried several ads, all for 3 mnths plus none helped. They definitely made me wired. My pupils were always fully dialated like I was on ecstacy too. Not for me.

I weened off all and started taking 5htp. It helped me, or maybe it was placebo but whatever it helped. I’m not taking anything atm.

Not trying to be prescriptive, but us insomniacs can’t tolerate anything activating, best bet is sedating ads.

Paxil was supposed to be sedating! For some it is, just not me. I have a script for Trazodone and I may try that tonight or for a few nights and see if it helps me.

BTW: I can't see your new group for 0 to 3 er's. Is it under insomnia?

HM

Who told u Paxil is sedating? Let me guess, ur dr?

I got told effexor is sedating by a psychiatrist. Hilarious

These drs have usually never taken meds so how the hell would they know? Also, their brains aren’t effected by Benzos so that’s a whole other ball game.

Try trazadone, but please just try it with the attitude of if it doesn’t work , oh well. When u pin ur hopes to things snd they don’t work that can be more devastating than the actual situation.

The 0-3 group is under support groups x

Paxil is Paroxetine. I don't think it's used as a sleep aid and yes AD expecially at the beginning may worsen insomnia. They may give you more determination before the AD effect: this is basically the reason why they could in some case increase suicide risk.

Shayna: Laroxyl (amitriptiline) sometimes it's prescribed not only for insomnia but also for headaches. I think you're rather unlucky with sleep aids. Did they give you amitriptiline for sleeping or depression? 50mg sounds high. I read on average it's prescribed at 10mg - max. 20mg for insomnia. Like in the case of your friend.

I'm curious about Surmontil (trimipramine) because it lowers cortisol and I noticed many people here find some help taking Mirtazapine (which acts too on cortisol).

Trazodone isn't bad. Unfortunately it makes me sleep only 4h and I need to couple it with quetiapine for sleep onset. If you go for Trazodone I can tell you what docs told me. Try it for 5-7 days at least. Some side effects may subside with time (I had stiffy nose first 3-4 days then I was ok). There is also an XR (extended release) version which is supposed to be weaker than IR (immediate release) but it should last longer.

I'd like to switch from quetiapine to trazodone but likely I'll have to max out dosage (100-150mg) and I want to talk about it with my doc before. I need a decent 5-6h sleeping aid but it's hard to find it.  :-[

Hey q dude. I was put on 10, then 25, then 50. None of those doses helped the insomnia and the headaches were absolutely horrific.

Prescribed for insomnia that caused depression and anxiety

Paxil is Paroxetine. I don't think it's used as a sleep aid and yes AD expecially at the beginning may worsen insomnia. They may give you more determination before the AD effect: this is basically the reason why they could in some case increase suicide risk.

Shayna: Laroxyl (amitriptiline) sometimes it's prescribed not only for insomnia but also for headaches. I think you're rather unlucky with sleep aids. Did they give you amitriptiline for sleeping or depression? 50mg sounds high. I read on average it's prescribed at 10mg - max. 20mg for insomnia. Like in the case of your friend.

I'm curious about Surmontil (trimipramine) because it lowers cortisol and I noticed many people here find some help taking Mirtazapine (which acts too on cortisol).

Trazodone isn't bad. Unfortunately it makes me sleep only 4h and I need to couple it with quetiapine for sleep onset. If you go for Trazodone I can tell you what docs told me. Try it for 5-7 days at least. Some side effects may subside with time (I had stiffy nose first 3-4 days then I was ok). There is also an XR (extended release) version which is supposed to be weaker than IR (immediate release) but it should last longer.

I'd like to switch from quetiapine to trazodone but likely I'll have to max out dosage (100-150mg) and I want to talk about it with my doc before. I need a decent 5-6h sleeping aid but it's hard to find it.  :-[

I was prescribed Paxil for depression but I was depressed about my insomnia and it made my sleep worse. I am going to try trazodone for a few nights and see if it helps me. If not, oh well. I already tried mirtazapine/Remeron and it didn't work for me. I struggle to get more than 3 hours of sleep, so I feel your pain. Sometimes, I get zero hours. I have tried many OTC aids and they don't work. I am just one of those people that benzo brain has cast an insomnia spell on me and it's a struggle.

We'll see if trazodone helps me or not.

HM

If you're on the 0-3h range you may give a try to quetiapine. It is dose dependent and if you need to sleep 3-5h for a couple of days. I don't like it because I can't stand antihistamine effect too much, it zombifies me. But when I'm almost desperate, it works. Sometimes it's prescribed in association with trazodone (both in the 25-50mg range). You discuss it your doctor.

Side note, seroquel didn’t help me and I spent the night throwing up for my trouble. I’m glad it helps u qdude but for me it didn’t. And neither did zyprexa

I took Tofranil and Norpramin pre-benzo's and they both really helped me sleep and I felt fine on them.  Seroquel was horrible for me.  Caused me to drool and have bad stomach pain and made me very forgetful. 

Some people can sleep decently on 12.5-25mg Seroquel. I'm not one of them. At the moment it's my "better than zero option". There are better ways to sleep, but when I'm in the 0-3 range and nothing seems to work it's reliable.

Btw I've got a theory: sleep aids work best at low dose when CNS isn't too much messed up. But on average, people that can sleep 7-9h taking just stuff like 25mg of Trazodone,  7.5mg mirtazapine, 10mg Laroxyl, etc. can even manage decently also benzodiazepines wihout experiencing nasty withdrawals. Chronic insomnia insomnia instead is a bad beast. Usually higher doses are required to get modest results if any with side effects which are different but as bad as benzos (glaucoma risk, heart, weight gain, etc.).

I tried trazodone last night (50mg) and it helped me get an extra hour or two. Nothing exceptional but I'll take it. I just have to hope it keeps working for me. I am also noticing some daytime grogginess with it, but I am groggy anyway from chronic insomnia. It seems to be getting better as the day goes by. It's almost noon where I am.

HM

Whatever helps. No shame in it x the only reason I don’t take anything is because I’ve been there and done that x

I slept 2-3 last night, but fought of sleep for at least an hr. I was spose to pick my son up from work but in the end I had to go to bed. I wish I had gone when I was nodding off

Whatever helps. No shame in it x the only reason I don’t take anything is because I’ve been there and done that x

I slept 2-3 last night, but fought of sleep for at least an hr. I was spose to pick my son up from work but in the end I had to go to bed. I wish I had gone when I was nodding off

Is that 2-3 hours plus 3+ hours from your nap? so total of 5+ hours?

I am wondering if I should try the grounding mat you mentioned on another thread. I ordered a brain stimulator device for depression, anxiety and insomnia. I paid $500 for it but it has a money back guarantee. I'll let you know if it works or not.

HM

I tried trazodone last night (50mg) and it helped me get an extra hour or two. Nothing exceptional but I'll take it. I just have to hope it keeps working for me. I am also noticing some daytime grogginess with it, but I am groggy anyway from chronic insomnia. It seems to be getting better as the day goes by. It's almost noon where I am.

HM

A couple of hours more isn't that bad. A little bit of grogginess fades away with time. Even if it takes time, moving from 0-3 to 3-6 is an achievement. Trazodone is not addictive.

I went to my psy today. Prescription refilled. Agreed on updosing trazodone (max. 100-150) and reducing seroquel. She gave me a prescription for laroxyl (amitriptiline) as an alternative to seroquel (10mg max. 20mg, no more to avoid side effects which are significant at higher doses). I'll let you know my opinion when I'll try to switch from seroquel. In my country laroxyl is sold liquid. 1 drop = 2mg.

HM

A couple of hours more isn't that bad. A little bit of grogginess fades away with time. Even if it takes time, moving from 0-3 to 3-6 is an achievement. Trazodone is not addictive.

I went to my psy today. Prescription refilled. Agreed on updosing trazodone (max. 100-150) and reducing seroquel. She gave me a prescription for laroxyl (amitriptiline) as an alternative to seroquel (10mg max. 20mg, no more to avoid side effects which are significant at higher doses). I'll let you know my opinion when I'll try to switch from seroquel. In my country laroxyl is sold liquid. 1 drop = 2mg.

Thanks for the props and good luck with your med adjustment. I look fwd to hearing how it works for you.

HM

Thanks mate. What kind of brain stimulator did you buy? How does it work?

https://www.fisherwallace.com/collections/all/products/fisher-wallace-stimulator-499?gclid=CjwKCAjwxo6IBhBKEiwAXSYBsxRlSK1c-P34Zi5DWl58qGkrEhzxMbmnRD-mf-IgLpZx6XPFgL9k6BoCY24QAvD_BwE

I bought a fisher-wallace brain stimulator that sends an electrical impulse through the brain to help with anxiety, depression and insomnia. If it doesn't work, there is a 30 day refund policy.

I slept a little bit last night but the trazodone didn't work as well as the night before. I am going to keep trying it though. Have you noticed a difference with your meds yet?

HM

Is that 2-3 hours plus 3+ hours from your nap? so total of 5+ hours?

I am wondering if I should try the grounding mat you mentioned on another thread. I ordered a brain stimulator device for depression, anxiety and insomnia. I paid $500 for it but it has a money back guarantee. I'll let you know if it works or not.

HM

3 hrs total. Last night zero and I took unisom out of frustration. It didn’t work now I’m absolutely struggling

3 hrs total. Last night zero and I took unisom out of frustration. It didn’t work now I’m absolutely struggling

Shayna,

I'm sorry about your zero. I barely got any sleep last night; maybe 2.5 hours but, I admit, it's better than nothing. I'm sorry the unisom didn't work for you. I bought some diphenhydramine HCI 25mg from Amazon to see if that helps me or not. Do you stay in bed 'resting' all night whether you sleep or not? I do.