New Anxiety med, clinical trials

[Be...]

Because of the more stringent Black Box warning issued for benzo's last fall, Vistagen is doing clinical trials on a new anti-anxiety med.  It's a nasal spray steroid and works on-demand.  They are doing clinical trials all across the US for people with SAD, Social Anxiety Disorder, and if approved by the FDA, it may be used for all types of anxiety.  Do some research yourself if you're interested in this new clinical trial.  It's being overseen by Dr. Michael Lebowitz.

https://www.vistagen.com/pipeline/ph94b/social-anxiety-disorder

The medical community is starting to see how damaging benzo's are for people.  They are talking about replacing benzo's with this new class of drug.  It doesn't act on the GABAa receptor either. 

[94...]
Thank you for posting this Becks.  Fingers crossed that this new drug proves over time to be a good alternative to benzos!

There is research I've been reading that anxiety is caused by inflammation.  It would make sense that they'd used a new steroid anxiety med to treat people.  Aspirin helps me and other people sleep.  I knew a lady at work once who told me she takes aspirin as a sleep aid.

In the video, they mention the release of GABA, and I would definitely want to have more detailed info about that. Also, they don't mention the possible side effects of using an inhaled steroid. Hmmmm.

I can't find any mention of what if any benefit "VistaGen’s PH94B nasal spray" might be for those who have already been treated long-term with a benzodiazepine but, if well documented and peer reviewed scientific evidence proves it to be a better alternative than the initiation of a benzodiazepine then I believe that is progress.  :thumbsup:

Here is the Company's accompanying video: https://d1io3yog0oux5.cloudfront.net/_86d032ee20f04e78dc7ef57f7f041e07/vistagen/db/262/812/video_mp4/PH94B-English.mp4

On a personal note: My adopted Grandson (aged 20) clearly has exhibited to me that he suffers from an anxiety disorder which keeps him from participating in healthy activities including work, socializing with people (especially groups of people) and even basic life skills like going shopping, etc. I wish I could recommend something to help him overcome this disabling condition such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy however, to date I haven't found anything that helps him. I have cautioned him against the use of benzodiazepines and shared with him the risks associated with them such as my physical dependence on Xanax.

I doubt that many on this forum meet the criteria to be included in the clinical trial but here is the link:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04754802

Edit:

And here is the Wikipedia link to PH94B ((4-Androstadienol (developmental code name PH94B; tentative commercial name Aloradine or Aloradine IN))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-Androstadienol

[a5...]

FI Addendum

For your grandson, you might want to look into Neurofeedback, it is a wonderful tool for anxiety and stimulating the brain to get out there and do things.

My entire family did it for 2 months a few years ago (mainly for my ADHD daughter), but it worked wonders on everyone!

Covid certainly has derailed us though, and using antibiotics and a crazy reaction and only a few Ativan pills got me here.

Once I’m off, I will do Neurofeedback, as it will retrain my brain!!

It is a bit pricey, but there are units you can rent to do at home, so you get a lot more sessions for your $. Typically 20-40 sessions should so great results.

Look for the NeurOptimal unit.

Other than that, my niece was helped with an AD, it got her out of the house again and loving life - after years of anorexia, agoraphobia, depression, panic and anxiety.

They did help me in my 20s as well.

What I really found though that the Neurofeedback and exercise and healthy diet was key

Sorry if this is lot helpful, but thought I’d send you what has worked in our family.

Good luck.

Winnie

PS. I sure hope my niece gets off the AD soon, but I’m not her mother and it’s helping her, so there’s that.

That wikipedia article about Aloradine is hard to understand since I'm a lay person, but I wonder if it acts indirectly with the GABAa receptor?  Benzo's act directly with the GABA receptors.  This is getting very interesting, this clinical trial.  Looks like all we need to do is go buy a bottle of androstenol to calm down.  ;D  Is Aloradine just a synthetic pheromone?  I was reading that human pheromones help people to calm down and relax and interact better with others and not just that they attract people of the opposite sex.  I bought a bottle of pheromones years ago.  I wish I still had it.  The clinical trials are for people with social anxiety disorder. Taking a pheromone will cause them to stop isolating or getting nervous in public?  Can a person build up tolerance to this drug eventually and it would stop working?  What about getting too much or using it too often?

https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/attraction/the-science-behind-pheromones-attraction/

Read the section in this article called, The Future of Pheromones.

I wonder if anyone reading this has some androstenol and if it helped with your anxiety.  Many perfume companies sell it.

Oh yes this sounds great… not like messing with steroids has ever gone bad before…  ::)

Edit: “The pheromone androstenol has been found to act as a potent positive allosteric modulator of the GABAA receptor, and it has been proposed that this action may mediate its pheromone effects.[14] It produces anxiolytic-like effects in animals.[14] Androstadienol, androstadienone, and androstenone, all of which are also pheromones, have been found to be converted into androstenol, and as such, it may be responsible for their pheromone effects.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-Androstadienol

This screams benzo to me. Definitely wouldn’t touch this one with a ten foot pole.

Has anyone tried  pheromone perfume and did it help calm them?  I think this drug is a pheromone.  Benzo's target the GABAa receptors, but I don't think this new drug will.  Alcohol affects the GABAa receptors too and I used to drink like a fish and it never damaged my brain or body and when I quit, no problems whatsoever.

not sure what to make of this nasal spray anxiety reducer  ....  if will definitively be an alternative to benzos  but as for elimating benzos all together ya right big pharma would never do that its to big of a cash cow