2 years clean after 40 years

[Le...]

Howdy, I’d like to share my success story.  About 2 1/2 years ago I was having so many medical issues I was convinced it was from taking benzos for 40 years. I was prescribed benzos in my early 20s after taking phenobarbital in my teens.  My Dr. thought I was having seizures so started me on phenobarbital in my late teens.  Anyways, I was having bouts of severe anxiety and extremely high blood pressure.  Little did I know until getting on this site 2 1/2 years ago that the long term benzos can cause this.  None of my Drs. ever told me about tolerance and paradoxical reaction.  Anyways, two 1/2 years ago I was at a point that I thought I was going to die.  I could no longer eat I lost 40 lbs.  I started at 142 and got down to 102.  I literally couldn’t eat anything.  I was in constant pain.  Every medication I took would cause an elevation in BP (200/110) and stomach pain.  I was taking only about 1-2 mg a day but when I’d get the BP spikes sometimes I’d have to take 3 mg.  I would have emergency visits about 2 times a year from BP spikes most of the time I controlled it on my own…never going over my prescription and often would not try to take any. (I think this was becoming a problem)

Long story short 2 1/2 years ago I started weaning off of the benzos and have been benzo free for 2 years this month.  I am soon to be 63 years old.  It’s not easy, but I did it.  40 years is along time on these meds.  I used to have a photographic memory and extremely sharp.  I’m sure age has something to do with it at this point but I’m sure the benzos as well. My blood pressure has been normal for the last year and a half.  I can tell you healing my stomach helped but also lots of therapy and meditation and support.  I feel much much better being off of them.  I’m actually much calmer with little to no anxiety.  I have found that my GERD and “nervous” stomach caused a lot of anxiety coming from an abused background.  Didn’t realize the Ativan I had taken for years was causing my blood pressure spikes since I only took them 1 or twice a day.  Drs. Dont really know or tell you how horrible these meds are.  It was very very scary times weaning myself off but I made it.  You can’t let this medication conquer you.  Good luck and blessings to all of you.  You CAN do this.

Lexigirl,

Congratulations to you!!! What a long time to be on benzos, but you figured out they were the problem and you dealt with it.  This shows so much inner strength and determination. 

I was 60 when I jumped off benzos and it was the best thing I've done for my future health and wellbeing.  There is a lot more living to do and now you can do it benzo free.

pianogirl

Hi Lexi,

Congratulations!  Its a great accomplishment and something to be celebrated.  :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to getting the Benzos out of my system.  I am extremely health oriented in every other way....exercise, organic eating, yoga, etc.  I am very disciplined so I know I will be successful because its something I really want. So glad I found this forum to help me thru and allow me to share and hopefully help others.  Stay well!!  :)

Congratulations!  Wishing you love and joy for the rest of your life.  Thank you for sharing and giving hope to all of us still suffering.    :-*

Thank you all so much.  There were definitely dark times that I didn’t think I was going to make it….it does take a lot of determination, faith, patience and understanding.  The mind doesn’t work the same as before but I am forever grateful to be free of the wrath these meds do to our bodies.  Always, always have faith….it’s difficult but try to get rid of anxiety triggers if at all possible….toxic people….toxic relationships.  I became a hermit for about a year.  I was tired of people thinking I was crazy…telling me what to do and not to do….listen to your inner being.  Our bodies are quite smart we know our bodies better than anyone else…just do what’s best for you.  I had an addiction psychiatrist trying to put me on ssri plus clonopin to wean off…my body and mind said no…no more mind drugs….I did it without more meds.  That’s what was best for me….only listen to yourself what’s best for you.  Each of us react differently to meds etc.  just do what you think is best for you.  People don’t know your body and mind as well as you do.  Be patient and kind to yourself.  YOU CAN DO THIS.

One more thing.  I had many many symptoms that many others report especially the hyperactivity.  Can’t sit still have to be busy all the time….it’s definitely the meds….sometimes it’s not just coming off the meds it’s just the meds and our bodies tolerance..if this makes sense…sometimes I would take .5 thinking that would help but would end up having to take 1 mg.  I was prescribed 2  xs daiky 1 mg but would always try to take less.  You can never take these meds as needed because eventually they will not work and your body will need more and more.  Be patient. Taper slowly.

So happy for you. So glad you beat that Benzo!

Thank you. Thank you so much for writing a success story! You are helping so many!

Lexigirl,

I have been off ativan slmost 8 months.  At 7 months off I began having extreme anxiety and huge BP spikes.  My dr has me on five meds but the spikes still happen.  I'm also having severe headaches every couple days and intense head and sinus pressure.  These episodes affect my vision some, my cognition and I sometimes have left sided symptoms.

Yesterday from noon on I felt great.  BP normal, no sx, no h/a, no anxiety.  A nice little window.  Then woke up this morning with extreme anxiety again. Now including intense headache and  pressure. 

I hope a year from now I can feel as well as you do.  My dr does not believe this can be ativan wd related because I have been off this long.

You give me hope that maybe I will feel normal most or all of the time.

Congratulations on your recovery.  Ginger

The stomach stuff was horrific….I tried the protonix at first and that made my stomach pain worse.  They had me on succrafate, protonix, etc.  none of that worked for me while I was weaning off the Ativan.  It wasn’t until I was completely off the Ativan I’m started taking Pepcid…it took over a year to pretty much heal the gut.  I also have an adjustable bed…that was a life saver.  My stomach was in terrible shape.  I could only eat oatmeal for breakfast, baked chicken and rice for lunch and dinner.  I did that for almost a year…that was the 40 lb weight loss.  It was the most painful thing I ever experienced.  I couldnot eat bread or dairy or anything except the chicken and rice and oatmeal.  I had every kind of test imaginable.  They couldn’t find anything.  My stomach started to heal after I finally stopped the Ativan.

To Gingermint….it will get better.  Eat healthy, try to avoid stress as much as possible.  You might not be where you were mentally before the benzos but many other things might be better.  Every person is different but just have faith…just take one day at a time. 

Good luck and God bless.