agoraphobia support group

[ju...]

Hi LadyDen,

I too have agoraphobia but taking to people even on the phone makes me panic but everyday I try exposure therapy. I drive to the local cafe and get a take away hot chocolate. I make sure I say hi. I walk 10mins a day locally and make sure I say hi to at least one person. I’ve done this for so long and it doesn’t make it any easier so I’m blaming the meds. I’m hoping if I keep doing this that one day it will change. Start small. Can you start by sitting in the car, engine off. Then build from there, sit in the car engine on. Drive done to the end of your street. Etc you get what I’m saying.

I still feel overstimulated every time I drive but I don’t want to lose my independence or my licence.

Somedays I’m just sit of waiting to feel better so I force myself. Not sure if this advice helps but it’s just what I do to feel somewhat “normal”

lady den what was the setback..... ?    i dont have any advice to give because i never experience what your going through..... to me it does not really sound like text book agoraphobia but everyone is different  .... do you think it is more of a fear of getting in the car  because of what your experiencing during the ride ? or more of a fear of going distance away from your house

Hi LadyDen,

I too have agoraphobia but taking to people even on the phone makes me panic but everyday I try exposure therapy. I drive to the local cafe and get a take away hot chocolate. I make sure I say hi. I walk 10mins a day locally and make sure I say hi to at least one person. I’ve done this for so long and it doesn’t make it any easier so I’m blaming the meds. I’m hoping if I keep doing this that one day it will change. Start small. Can you start by sitting in the car, engine off. Then build from there, sit in the car engine on. Drive done to the end of your street. Etc you get what I’m saying.

I still feel overstimulated every time I drive but I don’t want to lose my independence or my licence.

Somedays I’m just sit of waiting to feel better so I force myself. Not sure if this advice helps but it’s just what I do to feel somewhat “normal”

Hello Aussie! Hugs to you. Thanks for replying. Yes I’ve been sitting in the car timing myself for 20 minutes. Two days ago I started riding down the driveway. So yes you’re right about the baby steps. So far so good! 👍🏼 Next step is going one block from my house ( about 3 houses down). I’m not driving. I’m a passenger. FYI no way I can even try driving. I’m way too boaty dizzy. It’s not safe. I just want to be able to endure a 12 minute ride to my new apartment. Thanks for your suggestion. Exposure therapy does help. I’m sure you pushing through your situation will pay off big time. You’re doing great! Keep up the good work.

lady den what was the setback..... ?    i dont have any advice to give because i never experience what your going through..... to me it does not really sound like text book agoraphobia but everyone is different  .... do you think it is more of a fear of getting in the car  because of what your experiencing during the ride ? or more of a fear of going distance away from your house

Hey Jump my setback was at the first of June. I had extremely stressful life shattering circumstances happening back to back. It caught up with me right before I m to move into my new place. Terrible timing! So I’ve had uptick in boatiness and a magnet pulling sensation that didn’t allow me to tolerate standing or sitting. That put me back to being bedridden again. Which caused me not to be able to ride in a car without feeling faint or seizure like. My vestibular system is quite damaged from Ambien. I’m just now getting better windows in the past week. So I’m starting this week to getting my sensory system used to a moving vehicle again now that I can tolerate walking around for a bit and sitting up for a bit.

From what I have read, this is a type of agoraphobia called amaxophobia. I’m not scared of the car or scared of riding in the car. My fear is that when the car is moving it immediately increased my symptoms to the point of setting off extreme adrenal surges to alert me that it’s dangerous to continue the ride. I’m afraid of what will happen if Im riding in the car and half way there I can no longer tolerate it. I don’t want to end up in the hospital or have a stroke or heart attack from the intense symptoms. The first thing they’ll do is give me drugs… most likely benzo or psych meds. Now do you understand my problem?

Btw this was a new symptom for me. In acute I feared being alone for about 4 months or so. Then it just disappeared.

Hey Jump my setback was at the first of June. I had extremely stressful life shattering circumstances happening back to back. It caught up with me right before I m to move into my new place. Terrible timing! So I’ve had uptick in boatiness and a magnet pulling sensation that didn’t allow me to tolerate standing or sitting. That put me back to being bedridden again. Which caused me not to be able to ride in a car without feeling faint or seizure like. My vestibular system is quite damaged from Ambien. I’m just now getting better windows in the past week. So I’m starting this week to getting my sensory system used to a moving vehicle again now that I can tolerate walking around for a bit and sitting up for a bit.

From what I have read, this is a type of agoraphobia called amaxophobia. I’m not scared of the car or scared of riding in the car. My fear is that when the car is moving it immediately increased my symptoms to the point of setting off extreme adrenal surges to alert me that it’s dangerous to continue the ride. I’m afraid of what will happen if Im riding in the car and half way there I can no longer tolerate it. I don’t want to end up in the hospital or have a stroke or heart attack from the intense symptoms. The first thing they’ll do is give me drugs… most likely benzo or psych meds. Now do you understand my problem?

Btw this was a new symptom for me. In acute I feared being alone for about 4 months or so. Then it just disappeared.

so sorry to hear that..... stressful situation can put a person right back into feeling like there in the acute phase and for you to have back to back things happen i am very glad it did not end up worse.... i totally get  what you are saying about the Amaxophobia  you definitely have some form of this phobia ... what i do when i have to go places is tell whoever is driving me at any point during this ride you may have to turn around and take me back home if i have an attack... and they agree which takes a huge weight off of me that i know i am in control of the situation at all times ..... i also like to sit in the back seat so i do not get over stimulate by the big front windshield and all the action going on ....  exposure therapy does help but do it very slowly do not push to hard and be very easy on yourself  always remember 1 day at a time 

Is there any way to have someone to call when in car or trying to expand radius?  That would be helpful... just a voice to say it's ok (if I believe it).

Yes great idea as well. I have two buddies on here that has offered to do that for me. Thanks Deary.

How are you doing today

• 4 weeks later...

I'm feeling intense agoraphobia like symptoms. I have to kind of throw myself out of the house. Trying to hold at 15 mg diazepam but I've reached tolerance.

I'm feeling intense agoraphobia like symptoms. I have to kind of throw myself out of the house. Trying to hold at 15 mg diazepam but I've reached tolerance.

Here are the instructions for adding your medication and health information so other members can help you.  Add your history/signature 

• 2 months later...
Oh ya this was a fun symptom....not.  I just kept pushing myself.  I had the mindset that this experience was not going to beat me.  I forced myself everyday to press on.  Ya sometimes I would just head home but at least I tried.  It goes away.