Author Topic: agoraphobia support group  (Read 1113 times)

[Buddie]

Re: agoraphobia support group
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 10:28:30 pm »
very well written i agree with you but i am not micro tapering  i am not tapering at all.....  i have had a one failed taper in the past under doctors supervision i was on 1.5mg and it was a 40 day taper  that was in 2014   i got all the way down to 0.25mg  but could not stay there and i slowly climb back up the ladder to where i am at today but i have gained a signifcant amount of knowledge on how to taper i have been studying benzos for 7 years now i have been on them 8

I hope that if/ when you decide to stat tapering, 

that holding for some enought time makes it more easier, hope that this way you can do it ,

its a nightmare process, given the time your searching/learning about it you know,

And[...] for you not to loose hope in the middle of it,what normally occurs ....

You can do it.. i was on 6mg of or more back in 2015

This time i was stable on 20 mg of valium, i went tottaly crazy as i told, .. but i reached a much diffrent baseline..

its still not good, but im less far from something acceptable or having some functionality

Be strong and go slow as possible
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 11:01:26 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 07:02:15 am »
thanks [...]   i know all to well about it 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2021, 08:20:12 pm »
Hello all. Sadly Iím having agoraphobia too. Iím 13 months and 10 days off. Iím not scared of going outside or being around people. Iím afraid of riding in the car and something bad happens on the way to my destination. When I ride in the car the stimulation of the moving vehicle and outside stimulation causes my symptoms to increase. When they do I get adrenal surges which make me have a panic attack. My symptoms are a pulling sensation like a magnet pulling me down and boatiness like on a boat in water with waves. The moving vehicle makes these kick into high gear and I feel faint. Very scary.
I pray this goes away for us all soon. Iíve never had this before in my life. About 2 months ago I was riding in the car with no problem and even started back driving ( just once). I had a setback and been having this problem every since.
At the beginning and during my taper I was scared to be alone. That went away after a couple of months. I read the suggestions on this thread. Thanks!
Did any of you force yourself to ride in the car? What happened? How did you manage? Did it cause waves?

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2021, 10:03:24 pm »
Hey, i cant tell about if its a good idea to push yourself, im nkt saying you shouldnt

And i hope this goes away for us aswell, and i truly belive that by waiting for your brain and cns to adjust its the most important , then it comes the exposure thing,  , but thats just my point of view

Hope you heal soon

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 11:46:32 am »
Thanks [...] itís hard to deal with.

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 09:57:09 pm »
Hi [...],
I too have agoraphobia but taking to people even on the phone makes me panic but everyday I try exposure therapy. I drive to the local cafe and get a take away hot chocolate. I make sure I say hi. I walk 10mins a day locally and make sure I say hi to at least one person. Iíve done this for so long and it doesnít make it any easier so Iím blaming the meds. Iím hoping if I keep doing this that one day it will change. Start small. Can you start by sitting in the car, engine off. Then build from there, sit in the car engine on. Drive done to the end of your street. Etc you get what Iím saying.
I still feel overstimulated every time I drive but I donít want to lose my independence or my licence.

Somedays Iím just sit of waiting to feel better so I force myself. Not sure if this advice helps but itís just what I do to feel somewhat ďnormalĒ

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 05:16:37 am »
[...] den what was the setback..... ?    i dont have any advice to give because i never experience what your going through..... to me it does not really sound like text book agoraphobia but everyone is different  .... do you think it is more of a fear of getting in the car  because of what your experiencing during the ride ? or more of a fear of going distance away from your house

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2021, 08:27:53 pm »
Hi [...],
I too have agoraphobia but taking to people even on the phone makes me panic but everyday I try exposure therapy. I drive to the local cafe and get a take away hot chocolate. I make sure I say hi. I walk 10mins a day locally and make sure I say hi to at least one person. Iíve done this for so long and it doesnít make it any easier so Iím blaming the meds. Iím hoping if I keep doing this that one day it will change. Start small. Can you start by sitting in the car, engine off. Then build from there, sit in the car engine on. Drive done to the end of your street. Etc you get what Iím saying.
I still feel overstimulated every time I drive but I donít want to lose my independence or my licence.

Somedays Iím just sit of waiting to feel better so I force myself. Not sure if this advice helps but itís just what I do to feel somewhat ďnormalĒ
Hello Aussie! Hugs to you. Thanks for replying. Yes Iíve been sitting in the car timing myself for 20 minutes. Two days ago I started riding down the driveway. So yes youíre right about the baby steps. So far so good! 👍🏼 Next step is going one block from my house ( about 3 houses down). Iím not driving. Iím a passenger. FYI no way I can even try driving. Iím way too boaty dizzy. Itís not safe. I just want to be able to endure a 12 minute ride to my new apartment. Thanks for your suggestion. Exposure therapy does help. Iím sure you pushing through your situation will pay off big time. Youíre doing great! Keep up the good work.

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2021, 08:42:39 pm »
[...] den what was the setback..... ?    i dont have any advice to give because i never experience what your going through..... to me it does not really sound like text book agoraphobia but everyone is different  .... do you think it is more of a fear of getting in the car  because of what your experiencing during the ride ? or more of a fear of going distance away from your house
Hey Jump my setback was at the first of June. I had extremely stressful life shattering circumstances happening back to back. It caught up with me right before I m to move into my new place. Terrible timing! So Iíve had uptick in boatiness and a magnet pulling sensation that didnít allow me to tolerate standing or sitting. That put me back to being bedridden again. Which caused me not to be able to ride in a car without feeling faint or seizure like. My vestibular system is quite damaged from Ambien. Iím just now getting better windows in the past week. So Iím starting this week to getting my sensory system used to a moving vehicle again now that I can tolerate walking around for a bit and sitting up for a bit.
From what I have read, this is a type of agoraphobia called amaxophobia. Iím not scared of the car or scared of riding in the car. My fear is that when the car is moving it immediately increased my symptoms to the point of setting off extreme adrenal surges to alert me that itís dangerous to continue the ride. Iím afraid of what will happen if Im riding in the car and half way there I can no longer tolerate it. I donít want to end up in the hospital or have a stroke or heart attack from the intense symptoms. The first thing theyíll do is give me drugsÖ most likely benzo or psych meds. Now do you understand my problem?
Btw this was a new symptom for me. In acute I feared being alone for about 4 months or so. Then it just disappeared.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:49:13 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2021, 06:17:58 am »
Hey Jump my setback was at the first of June. I had extremely stressful life shattering circumstances happening back to back. It caught up with me right before I m to move into my new place. Terrible timing! So Iíve had uptick in boatiness and a magnet pulling sensation that didnít allow me to tolerate standing or sitting. That put me back to being bedridden again. Which caused me not to be able to ride in a car without feeling faint or seizure like. My vestibular system is quite damaged from Ambien. Iím just now getting better windows in the past week. So Iím starting this week to getting my sensory system used to a moving vehicle again now that I can tolerate walking around for a bit and sitting up for a bit.
From what I have read, this is a type of agoraphobia called amaxophobia. Iím not scared of the car or scared of riding in the car. My fear is that when the car is moving it immediately increased my symptoms to the point of setting off extreme adrenal surges to alert me that itís dangerous to continue the ride. Iím afraid of what will happen if Im riding in the car and half way there I can no longer tolerate it. I donít want to end up in the hospital or have a stroke or heart attack from the intense symptoms. The first thing theyíll do is give me drugsÖ most likely benzo or psych meds. Now do you understand my problem?
Btw this was a new symptom for me. In acute I feared being alone for about 4 months or so. Then it just disappeared.

so sorry to hear that..... stressful situation can put a person right back into feeling like there in the acute phase and for you to have back to back things happen i am very glad it did not end up worse.... i totally get  what you are saying about the Amaxophobia  you definitely have some form of this phobia ... what i do when i have to go places is tell whoever is driving me at any point during this ride you may have to turn around and take me back home if i have an attack... and they agree which takes a huge weight off of me that i know i am in control of the situation at all times ..... i also like to sit in the back seat so i do not get over stimulate by the big front windshield and all the action going on ....  exposure therapy does help but do it very slowly do not push to hard and be very easy on yourself  always remember 1 day at a time