Sleep Getting Worse-Is It Normal?

[Go...]

Ok so I am just over 3 weeks benzo free. Starting to have some more windows but my newest symptoms the last few nights is sleep. At about 10 pm I seem to have a wave start. I get restless, agitated and anxious. I take CBD oil and it does help me sleep but it seems to take hours to fall asleep now when I had been falling asleep fairly quickly and sleep about 2 hours before waking. I had been getting about 6-7 hours total but was interrupted every couple hours. I could function on that. Now I am only getting about 4-5 and interrupted every 1-2 hrs. Then waking between 4-5 am and not being able to fall back asleep due to the same symptoms. And forget naps. I can lay down and rest but never sleep. I thought that this was behind me as I had this earlier on in my taper. I can hardly watch tv and can't listen to music as I am so sound sensitive. Sitting to long is painful as well so I lay in bed and just rest. Thankfully my physical pain is starting to decrease a bit and I am able to be up most of the day for the most part with some bad waves here and there usually followed by days I have therapy that just wipes me out from having to leave the house.

I'm hearing that this can be normal and especially at those times. Does anyone else get that and at those times or have an idea why this happens? Praying it does not last long.

Not to rain on your sleep "woes" but 4-5 hours per night of broken sleep at 3 weeks off is FANTASTIC.

Many people (myself included) had much, much worse insomnia

I was only averaging 5-10 hours per week for months.

My insomnia became very severe about 3 months after I jumped Cold Turkey.

Usually, but not always, most experience "acute withdrawal."  This is a period of intense symptoms that can last anywhere from 30-90 days after finishing your taper or jumping CT.

Dr. Ashton (Ashton Manual  on Benzo Withdrawal) says that insomnia usually resolves for most in 6-12 months.  Most take longer, some take less time.

Napping was never possible for me until I healed.  Now I can nap if I want to.

Please fill in your signature block so people know what you were on and for how long and how long your taper lasted.

Everything you are describing in terms of symptoms and sleep is "very normal" at 3 weeks off.

Good luck!

Not to rain on your sleep "woes" but 4-5 hours per night of broken sleep at 3 weeks off is FANTASTIC.

Many people (myself included) had much, much worse insomnia

I was only averaging 5-10 hours per week for months.

My insomnia became very severe about 3 months after I jumped Cold Turkey.

Usually, but not always, most experience "acute withdrawal."  This is a period of intense symptoms that can last anywhere from 30-90 days after finishing your taper or jumping CT.

Dr. Ashton (Ashton Manual  on Benzo Withdrawal) says that insomnia usually resolves for most in 6-12 months.  Most take longer, some take less time.

Napping was never possible for me until I healed.  Now I can nap if I want to.

Please fill in your signature block so people know what you were on and for how long and how long your taper lasted.

Everything you are describing in terms of symptoms and sleep is "very normal" at 3 weeks off.

Good luck!

Thank you for that. I know I am definitely in acute for sure. It has been really rough. Hardly functioning.

I still have a long way to go before i jump but I hope my sleep improves before then. I hope I am that rare example of someone whose insomnia improved as I got lower in dose. For me, a 4 hour night is excellent. Of course, I'd love to sleep 9 hours but that isn't realistic.

Hang in there! I remember freaking out when I only got 5 hours of broken sleep. Now, I'd be very happy with that. It will get better. Your sleep will improve as your brain heals.

I am also always shooting for as much sleep as I can get! I feel your pain. Let's pray for each other.

HM

HM.

Yes we definitely need to pray for each other and i do every day for all in this group.

I hope your sleep is improving some. It seems like maybe it is a little from what you had said before. That would be great if you could be the one that improves.

I have been up and down the whole taper, but worst was after I jumped. I seem to be in a pattern recently of increased symptoms around 10pm and then it seems to start to settle around 11-12am. Then I am getting that broken sleep but when I sleep it is at least sound now.

I do take a valerian and passion flower supplement as well as cbd oil. They help but during those certain time noting helps at all and I seem to just need to ride it out. At least we are getting some sleep. I even fell asleep for a short time yesterday evening which is very unusual.

I am off of Temazepam for 28 days after only being on for 21 days.  In the first week I got two nights of 6 hours of sleep.  Since then, it has gone downhill with several nights of no sleep but I think I am seeing a slow climb to improvement.  Last night, I did not feel that I got much sleep but my husband played back on his cell phone my snoring at 11:00 pm, 1:30 am, 3 am, and 4:15 am so I am getting sleep even though I don't think I am.  I pretty much measure my sleep as to how long the nights are.  What really helps me is to not stress about it (although I know very difficult).  What also helps me is that I am not at all tired the next day.  I am not taking any sleep aids as they don't really seem to help me.  But I think that my walking 2 miles a day and eating healthy does along with my breathing/meditation.  Most of my symptoms are gone (not sure if this is just a window) with the exception of the insomnia, constipation and very mild anxiety.  Time is the healer and we've got this!

Newbie2Temaz sounds like you are doing pretty well overall. At least you are getting some sleep now. I know there are times where I sleep but it is so light I do not feel like I have slept.

I am off of Temazepam for 28 days after only being on for 21 days.  In the first week I got two nights of 6 hours of sleep.  Since then, it has gone downhill with several nights of no sleep but I think I am seeing a slow climb to improvement.  Last night, I did not feel that I got much sleep but my husband played back on his cell phone my snoring at 11:00 pm, 1:30 am, 3 am, and 4:15 am so I am getting sleep even though I don't think I am.  I pretty much measure my sleep as to how long the nights are.  What really helps me is to not stress about it (although I know very difficult).  What also helps me is that I am not at all tired the next day.  I am not taking any sleep aids as they don't really seem to help me.  But I think that my walking 2 miles a day and eating healthy does along with my breathing/meditation.  Most of my symptoms are gone (not sure if this is just a window) with the exception of the insomnia, constipation and very mild anxiety.  Time is the healer and we've got this!

That's actually pretty common to get some sleep and not think you got any sleep.  That's why I always qualify my zero nights as "no perceived" sleep.  Although most were definitely zero nights.  Glad to see you are making some improvement...good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. It's even supported by studies. Insomniacs tend to underestimate their sleep. Usually no perceived sleep includes also microsleep and some phase 1 sleep minutes. It's a very low quality sleep but it's better than nothing.