Anxiety about anxiety

[So...]

I’m taking .25 of Xanax at bedtime.  I get anxious about getting anxious. I dread bedtime as I know I will be anxious and will wake up anxious.  The early mornings are hard. Im so anxious during this time.  During the day I can get distracted and work and the anxiety goes away.  Then I start to get my hopes up that maybe it’s ending and I can stop the Xanax.  But the anxiety always comes back.  How can I be so calm and normal feeling now but so wound up and anxious in a few hours from now.. will it ever end

I'm so happy to hear you've found that distraction can help combat withdrawal symptoms, this is one of our best tools but you're right, we can't seem to pull this off all the time.  Mornings are tough for everyone around here, it may have something to do with cortisol levels, some find this post helpful although this describes normal morning anxiety, not the kind benzo's produce which is a whole other level of intensity. Understanding Morning Anxiety

Another reason for your changing anxiety is simply the waxing and waning of symptoms that is typical of this process, we never know from one minute to the next how we're going to feel and it's frightening and disconcerting.  Acceptance of this process and of course understanding it can go a long way to help you have quality of life while going through it

Many use calming apps to help them, others find therapy or meditation helpful but it sounds like distraction is key to your routine so keep finding ways to not focus on your symptoms.

Sorry, I meant the Xanax, I’m just wondering if taking it only once a day is making it so you are getting

A “bounce back effect” as there is not a stable amount in your system throughout the day.