Valium CT

[Pr...]

Hi, I quit Valium CT about a week ago. Decided to quit because my usual dosage (30-50 mgs) wasn't helping me with anxiety and panic attacks anymore. It's my seventh day without Valium, and I only have slight symptoms like DP/DR, vision issues and a bit of irritability. Since my dosage was quite high, should I be expecting more of WD symptoms or is that it? Even these disturbances are worrying me because I never had any issues before when quitting CT.

A year ago I quit CT and didn't have any WD symptoms whatsoever. My abstinence lasted about a month and then I got back on it due to a physical injury. Before that, I quit CT when I found out I was pregnant, and also no symptoms at all.

That's a pretty high dose to CT from, were your previous cessations that high?  Is your doctor aware you've stopped cold turkey, this can be dangerous.

Many members report not having a problem withdrawing from these drugs until they do, I hope this will be the extent of your discomfort but given it's Valium, I feel you might expect to see more in the coming weeks. 

One thing to understand about benzo's is they begin to cause the issues we took them for, sleeplessness, anxiety and panic and the fact the Valium doesn't seem to be working for you may mean you need more to achieve the same effect due to your body growing tolerant to your dose.  In this case, it's wise to taper off the drug so you can get back normal function as you do this.

It's not too late to reinstate and do a slow taper if you feel your symptoms become unmanageable.  Let us know if you need our help figuring this out.

Thank you for the reply.

My first cessation was from a much higher dose, and the second one was from 20-30 mg, and I do find it strange that I haven't experienced any symptoms then.

Maybe it's important to note that I really didn't take Valium every day, I would take a 30 or 40 mg whenever I would get a panic attack. Sometimes it would be 5 times a week, and sometimes it would be once in two weeks.

My symptoms aren't unbearable ATM, the only thing that I find annoying is blurry and strange vision, so I'm not planning on reinstating at the moment. If it gets worse, I'll definitely do it. I feel like tapering wouldn't be a good option for me because when I look at the tapering schedule, it looks like I would be taking it every day and I believe it would make my situation even worse.

Thank you for filling in some of your details and I agree that deciding to reinstate and taper would most likely involve taking it every day.  I've seen other members resist this approach because they haven't taken it like that in the past but once symptoms appear they find they can't take it like they used to and end up taking it every day in order to keep symptoms manageable while tapering.

We're all so different so no one size fits all, I hope you'll post your progress so we can learn from your experience.

Update:

Yesterday was day 8. Was nauseous in the morning with a headache, did some yoga and it went away. Mild DP/DR. In the evening I felt a lot more nauseous and barely fell asleep from nausea and globus sensation. Vision issues still present but a bit better.

Today - day 9. Mild nausea in the morning, worked all day and then got fired from my job but still didn't feel physically worse. Emotionally it's a different story. Vision issues still present and they seems to be worse when I stare at screens all day.

I really hope this doesn't get any worse.

I'm sorry you were fired, that can be very stressful which has the capacity to make you feel worse, I've found stress to be one of the biggest contributors to increased symptoms, well that and alcohol.

Tell us about your mental and emotional symptoms, are you okay?

Thank you, yes, too much stress is bad with or without withdrawal.

I'm okay, I guess. I cried a lot after work today but that's natural due to the circumstances. I'm definitely less irritable than in the last few days. I feel kind of empty and purposeless, but not too anxious which is strange for me. At the moment, I'm not really sure if that feeling of emptiness is due to withdrawal or the fact that I lost my job.

I'm actually very surprised there isn't more anxiety, especially because my anxiety tends to peak during PMS, so I don't know what to think of all that. Maybe the worst is yet to come.

When I was recovering I felt like I was flat-lining through life, I couldn't engage with anyone or anything on an emotional level, we're lost to ourselves so we lose our connection with others too. 

Our symptoms change from day to day sometimes minute by minute so you're right in that there is probably something coming your way, it may not be worse but because this process leaves us incapable of dealing with life events it can seem worse.

Will you be looking for another job right away?  I know the natural inclination is to take some downtime to get through this but the distraction of a job is actually really helpful.

Hi Prudence,

I hope you're just lucky and aren't going to experience that many WD symptoms. I have never taken Valium. I am tapering from Xanax so I can't speak from experience but, like Pamster said, Valium has a much longer half life so it can take longer to see symptoms. You've done really good so far, so maybe you're just lucky (again:)). I'm sorry about your job, but glad you aren't suffering anxiety over it.

I just wanted to say welcome and congratulations on quitting Vaium. I hope you feel better each day and don't have serious withdrawal. Keep us posted on your progress! I look forward to hearing how you're doing as time goes on.

HM

When I was recovering I felt like I was flat-lining through life, I couldn't engage with anyone or anything on an emotional level, we're lost to ourselves so we lose our connection with others too. 

Our symptoms change from day to day sometimes minute by minute so you're right in that there is probably something coming your way, it may not be worse but because this process leaves us incapable of dealing with life events it can seem worse.

Will you be looking for another job right away?  I know the natural inclination is to take some downtime to get through this but the distraction of a job is actually really helpful.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. My symptoms wax and wane. One day it's one thing, the next day it's another. I have a lot of issues with health anxiety (that's why I was prescribed Valium in the first place), and scary symptoms that come with the withdrawal definitely don't help my mental state. I will not be looking for another job right away, I'm a part-time college student so I will try to distract myself from my withdrawal with studying.

Hi Prudence,

I hope you're just lucky and aren't going to experience that many WD symptoms. I have never taken Valium. I am tapering from Xanax so I can't speak from experience but, like Pamster said, Valium has a much longer half life so it can take longer to see symptoms. You've done really good so far, so maybe you're just lucky (again:)). I'm sorry about your job, but glad you aren't suffering anxiety over it.

I just wanted to say welcome and congratulations on quitting Vaium. I hope you feel better each day and don't have serious withdrawal. Keep us posted on your progress! I look forward to hearing how you're doing as time goes on.

HM

Hi, thank you for the welcome, I hope your taper goes well and you don't experience that much symptoms. I don't think I got lucky again. Today is day 16, and my main symptoms are DP/DR, nausea, vision issues, pain in stomach (mostly at night (that feels like liver/gallbladder pain), insomnia, headache and generally feeling unwell. Mentally, I feel like my hypochondria/health anxiety is coming back stronger than ever and I'm looking for ways to cope with that. I do not have any cravings for Valium, I just wish I could feel like myself again.

Most of us experience hypochondria while going through this so this could certainly be an intensified version of your health anxiety, I hope you won't act on it but instead read chapter 3 of the The Ashton Manual, it actually helped me to know what was causing me to feel like I did.

I didn't crave Klonopin when I quit, who wants more of the poison that puts us through so much pain?

Most of us experience hypochondria while going through this so this could certainly be an intensified version of your health anxiety, I hope you won't act on it but instead read chapter 3 of the The Ashton Manual, it actually helped me to know what was causing me to feel like I did.

I didn't crave Klonopin when I quit, who wants more of the poison that puts us through so much pain?

Wow, you are full of useful information! I read chapter 3 and I can't believe how many symptoms can withdrawal cause! Today is day 20 without Valium. Yesterday I went to meet a friend and I had terrible anxiety about leaving my home which was accompanied by tinnitus and brain zaps and I was terrified that I would faint in the street. However, I managed to relax later in the evening and most of my symptoms went away for the time I was with her. I'm not much of a drinker, but I had 2 beers yesterday, hopefully it won't hinder my progress?

My symptoms today are a splitting headache, sinus pressure, bouts of dizziness, anxiety, stomach issues and a weird sweet taste in my mouth (not sure it that's from withdrawal, since I have a cracked filling that needs to be replaced and the taste seems to come from that tooth). When can I expect for my symptoms to go away? I'm not feeling like myself, I'm afraid I'll develop agoraphobia since I had such a difficult time leaving my house yesterday. :(

It's good to hear you were able to relax enough to enjoy the time with your friend, alcohol can be tricky though since it affects the same part of the brain as benzo's, I'd avoid it for now.

Try not to worry about the agoraphobia, I had it for a time too but it goes away if we don't give into it, just keep living your life as best you can. 

Nope, we don't feel like ourselves but we eventually return and it's wonderful.  I don't know how long your symptoms will last, this is a very long but individual process with no clear cut path.  Just try to stay positive about your future because it will be very bright when you recover.

It's good to hear you were able to relax enough to enjoy the time with your friend, alcohol can be tricky though since it affects the same part of the brain as benzo's, I'd avoid it for now.

Try not to worry about the agoraphobia, I had it for a time too but it goes away if we don't give into it, just keep living your life as best you can. 

Nope, we don't feel like ourselves but we eventually return and it's wonderful.  I don't know how long your symptoms will last, this is a very long but individual process with no clear cut path.  Just try to stay positive about your future because it will be very bright when you recover.

I'm trying to stay positive, but my hypochondria is getting the best of me. Today is day 24. I have all kinds of aches and pains, and I keep thinking there's something seriously wrong with me health wise. I keep googling my symptoms and I'm convinced I have all sorts of diseases. Yesterday I went through liver disease, hiatal hernia, kidney disease and heart disease all on one day and it's really unbearable. My body is tense, I cannot relax, I don't sleep well (I wake up every couple of hours and I know it's because I'm stressed) and I'm really afraid that I have some terrible disease. This is unbearable. On the other side, my vision issues and brain fog seem to be getting better. I don't know how to handle my anxiety, and I'm wondering if I should reinstate. I know it's a bad idea, but I can't handle this health anxiety anymore, I'm convinced I'm dying and I don't know how to stop these horrible thoughts and body sensations.

Dr Google can be a blessing and a curse so I hope you'll do your best to avoid it but instead seek medical help if you truly feel you're suffering from any of the illnesses you fear.

I found distraction to be the best tool in my arsenal, one time I stopped traffic and rescued a dog running in the street and that was the first time I felt truly well after my cold turkey.  After that I began to use distraction by throwing myself into a huge landscaping project in my backyard.  It overwhelmed me but each day I worked at it, all the while fearful but it helped pass the time and gave me purpose.  Anything was better than sitting in one place ruminating on my discomfort and thoughts.

Only you know how much you can endure and if you feel you need to reinstate then no one here will judge you, this is a terrible process.  I can tell you I felt everything you are and had many of the same fears but I made it through and it's my hope you will too, I'm so sorry you're suffering.

I'm trying to stay positive, but my hypochondria is getting the best of me. Today is day 24. I have all kinds of aches and pains, and I keep thinking there's something seriously wrong with me health wise. I keep googling my symptoms and I'm convinced I have all sorts of diseases. Yesterday I went through liver disease, hiatal hernia, kidney disease and heart disease all on one day and it's really unbearable. My body is tense, I cannot relax, I don't sleep well (I wake up every couple of hours and I know it's because I'm stressed) and I'm really afraid that I have some terrible disease. This is unbearable. On the other side, my vision issues and brain fog seem to be getting better. I don't know how to handle my anxiety, and I'm wondering if I should reinstate. I know it's a bad idea, but I can't handle this health anxiety anymore, I'm convinced I'm dying and I don't know how to stop these horrible thoughts and body sensations.

If you feel that horrible, maybe reinstating is a good idea and then tapering from there. I understand thinking you have every disease there is. I just went to the ER a few days ago, only to have an x-ray and be told nothing is wrong. None the less, I made a doctors appointment for a few days from now to follow up, just in case. Only you can decide if reinstating is worth it to you. I am doing a slightly rapid taper and I much prefer it over CT but that's me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

HM

Hi guys, thanks for the support. After giving it a lot of thought, I decided against reinstating. I've come too far to go back now. I started drinking lemon balm and chamomile tea and that really helps with hypochondria and calms me down a bit.

So, today is day 30. A full month without Valium. My symptoms in the last few days were lower back pain, digestive issues, mild vision issues (mainly floaters and eye strain), anxiety and overthinking (not sure if this is due to withdrawal since I always had a problem with these things). DP/DR is still there, but it's a bit milder and less constant. And I kind of feel that my cognitive abilities are getting "sharper". I began studying for my exams, and I'm actually able to retain some of the information I'm reading. I'm now hoping to start eating better and exercising, and I really hope there won't be any more of those horrible scary symptoms.

Hi guys, thanks for the support. After giving it a lot of thought, I decided against reinstating. I've come too far to go back now. I started drinking lemon balm and chamomile tea and that really helps with hypochondria and calms me down a bit.

So, today is day 30. A full month without Valium. My symptoms in the last few days were lower back pain, digestive issues, mild vision issues (mainly floaters and eye strain), anxiety and overthinking (not sure if this is due to withdrawal since I always had a problem with these things). DP/DR is still there, but it's a bit milder and less constant. And I kind of feel that my cognitive abilities are getting "sharper". I began studying for my exams, and I'm actually able to retain some of the information I'm reading. I'm now hoping to start eating better and exercising, and I really hope there won't be any more of those horrible scary symptoms.

Congrats on being one month out. I am happy for you. It will get better and better as the days go by. I am glad you found some OTC remedies to help you. Good luck!

HM

It sounds like you made the right decision, you're able to study and retain information, this is wonderful!

There may be more symptoms coming your way but they're just symptoms, try to re-frame your thoughts to consider them as signs of healing, which you are!  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you made the right decision, you're able to study and retain information, this is wonderful!

There may be more symptoms coming your way but they're just symptoms, try to re-frame your thoughts to consider them as signs of healing, which you are!  :thumbsup:

Thank you! Yes, it seems like I've developed some new symptoms. Today is day 43. For the last week I seem to have developed terrible stomach problems, ranging from very painful gas which I feel both in my stomach and in my back, constant burping, acid reflux, stomach gurgling, pain in upper stomach and it's all very strange. I cut out fatty foods, and that seems to help a little, but not too much. I'm not sure if this is related to withdrawal since most of my other symptoms have disappeared by now.

Ah, the famous benzo belly has made an appearance, I'm sorry to hear you've become afflicted.  :(

From chapter 3 of The Ashton Manual

Digestive problems. Some people have no problems at all with their digestive systems during or after withdrawal, and may even notice that they are enjoying their food more. Others, perhaps more prone constitutionally, may complain of a range of symptoms associated with "irritable bowel syndrome" (IBS). These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, flatulence, gaseous distension and heartburn. Quite a few have found these symptoms so uncomfortable that they have undergone hospital gastrointestinal investigations, but usually no abnormality is found. The symptoms may be partly due to overactivity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

Wow, could this really be benzo belly? Is this very common? I mean, this feels really bad, I keep having heartburn, belching, lump in throat, burning pain in stomach that sometimes radiates to the back. It's been here for about a week and it comes and goes. I even began suspecting I have gastritis!

Its always a good idea to get checked out by your doctor if you're concerned but if nothing is found then we assume its a withdrawal symptom and its very common.  If you'll use the search function you'll find hundreds of threads about it.

I'm sorry you're in so much distress, its miserable I know.