Public Workshop July 12-13 Duke University’s Margolis Center for Health Policy

[su...]

On July 12-13, the Duke University’s Margolis Center for Health Policy, in cooperation with the FDA, is hosting a public meeting/workshop titled “Safe Use of Benzodiazepines: Clinical, Regulatory, and Public Health Perspectives.”  Registration information along with draft agenda can be found here:

https://healthpolicy.duke.edu/events/safe-use-benzodiazepines-clinical-regulatory-and-public-health-perspectives

They include the following brief overview:

“In September 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced a requirement that the Boxed Warning and other sections of benzodiazepine drug products’ labeling be updated to provide a more comprehensive description of risks related to nonmedical use, addiction, physical dependence, and withdrawal reactions. Benzodiazepine nonmedical use is widespread, and individuals frequently co-use benzodiazepines with alcohol, prescription opioids, and illicit drugs. Associated harms of benzodiazepine nonmedical use are substantial but occur primarily when people use benzodiazepines in combination with other drugs.

This two-day public workshop will convene regulators, academic researchers, clinicians, patient advocates, and other stakeholders to share information underlying this action and gather input related to the safe use of benzodiazepines. Participants will discuss epidemiological and abuse liability data, patient and clinician perspectives and experiences, and gaps in data and understanding about the safe use of benzodiazepines.”

Thank you for posting this info! Session 3 sounds really interesting and features an amazing range of contributors. I won't be able to join in (have something pre-booked for that day), but if a video is made available after-the-fact, I hope someone can post it here for the rest of us to watch.

Of course!  Always glad to share something that we might benefit or learn from.  I have been hoping to stumble across a forum or community event like this, and I wish I could likewise now attend as I am within a reasonable distance, but the dates conflict.  Regardless, an event like this is heartening to see happening, particularly that it is a cross pollination--if you will--of entities.

Agreed that I would love to be able to view it after the fact if possible.  When I came across the video from the Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Symposium held at the University of Arizona Health Sciences in 2019, I was saddened at the dearth of information out there that necessitated that type of forum in the first place and yet felt hopeful that there was some sort of momentum happening to rectify things and provide the much needed education and research gaps.  This upcoming forum is another step in that direction of getting that info out there.  So glad to see they are also presenting a patient's voice and perspective.  It's the most important one. 

Of course!  Always glad to share something that we might benefit or learn from.  I have been hoping to stumble across a forum or community event like this, and I wish I could likewise now attend as I am within a reasonable distance, but the dates conflict.  Regardless, an event like this is heartening to see happening, particularly that it is a cross pollination--if you will--of entities.

Agreed that I would love to be able to view it after the fact if possible.  When I came across the video from the Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Symposium held at the University of Arizona Health Sciences in 2019, I was saddened at the dearth of information out there that necessitated that type of forum in the first place and yet felt hopeful that there was some sort of momentum happening to rectify things and provide the much needed education and research gaps.  This upcoming forum is another step in that direction of getting that info out there.  So glad to see they are also presenting a patient's voice and perspective.  It's the most important one.

Yes, I agree! I watched that U. of Arizona event in its entirety and thought of it immediately when you posted this event. I'm also really pleased to see the addition of a Canadian health professional -- Dr. Barbara Farrell from the Bruyere Research Institute (in Ontario). She and her colleague Dr. Cara Tannenbaum have created a website on deprescribing medications, which includes a fair amount of information on benzodiazepines.

https://deprescribing.org/about/ 

https://bruyere.uniweb.network/members/47 

Yes, I agree! I watched that U. of Arizona event in its entirety and thought of it immediately when you posted this event. I'm also really pleased to see the addition of a Canadian health professional -- Dr. Barbara Farrell from the Bruyere Research Institute (in Ontario). She and her colleague Dr. Cara Tannenbaum have created a website on deprescribing medications, which includes a fair amount of information on benzodiazepines.

What wonderful resources as well here, Lapis2!  I will certainly bookmark these links as I have parents who are now very aware of the risks of such medicines given my experience but whom have friends that have gone down the being over prescribed route with subsequent deteriorating health.  Information and education are paramount. 

Dr. Steven Wright of the Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices was invited to present at this symposium and will be a panelist.

Dr. Christy Huff of BIC will also present (and may be a panelist).

What wonderful resources as well here, Lapis2!  I will certainly bookmark these links as I have parents who are now very aware of the risks of such medicines given my experience but whom have friends that have gone down the being over prescribed route with subsequent deteriorating health.  Information and education are paramount.

Yes, lots of excellent info at that website called Deprescribing.org . Their research appears to be ongoing, and it's not just about benzos and Z-drugs. There are a number of other meds that are often over-prescribed -- especially to seniors -- and that seems to be the focus of their work.

• 2 weeks later...

MsAtomicBomb just posted on Chewing the Fat in another thread the following links from the workshop.  Figured I’d share here too if anyone was following this thread. Good stuff!

On July 12 & 13 Duke University's Margolis Center for Public Policy and the FDA held a public workshop "Safe Use of Benzodiazepines: Clinical, Regulatory, and Public Health Perspectives" about the latest black box warning that our community worked so hard to get.

Dr. Christy Huff presentations:

Day 2, Session 3:Health Professional and Patient Advocate Perspectives – Best Practices, Experiences, and Concerns

Day 2, Session 4: Balancing the Benefits and Risks of Benzodiazepines

Full Event:

Day 1

Day 2