Stopped Ambien after over 20 years

[Ka...]

Hello BB world,

I'm branching out on the site ... have stuck with one group mainly. Want to shout it out that I actually really truly stopped ambien for the first time ever in over 20 years. One day I'll come across the journal where my words dripped off the page as I fell asleep under bright light writing in it and I'll know the year I started this drug.

I did not ever imagine that the horrible health problems I had for a lot of that time were related to ambien but now I do think they were. My neural pathways are healing!

I left work due to them ... and only then did I finally feel ready to stop ambien. Then I got support here and did my slow taper. I WAS TERRIFIED the whole way, terrified of suffering as I have suffered so much already I couldn't bare more. I also immediately stopped the other Benzo and Benzo-like drugs I used intermittently once I read the info in The Ashton Manual and people's experiences here.

So, that's all. Here I am. I stopped a week ago. Just created a ticker!!! I took Benadryl the first week as had a big event and needed full brain power of sleep ... got some, 4 hours most nights. Then last night was my first night without Benadryl and I calmly rested for 5 hours until I did actually fall asleep!! I feel so happy this morning on 4 hours of sleep. I feel hopeful and ready for what lays ahead. I am so grateful for the wonderful people on this site, for all the love and support and acceptance. Wish it for all of you.

Kachina :yippee:

Congratulations Kachina, this is wonderful news!  And you're sleeping, actually sleeping without it, wow!

Have you noticed the quality of your sleep yet, how much more rested you feel off of it?  That's what I realized, the natural sleep was so much more restorative.  On Ambien I'd wake up fully alert and ready to bounce out of bed but without it, I feel heavy and relaxed and deeply restored.

I'm so happy for you, you did it!  :yippee:

Thank you so much for your message Pamster! I love hearing about how great your sleep is. I do have some angst about sleep still and haven't noticed what you wrote, but will keep a look out!!! I was sleeping pretty well for most of my taper and it has been a lot (less) (worse) this last week---but I KNOW it will improve every day~!! Thanks for your welcome and support here along my journey also!

Great news, Kachina. I quit Ambien after 14 years on the stuff. I struggled a bit with insomnia, but sleep pretty well now.

Congrats!

:smitten:

Katz

Kachina, I knew you could do it!!!!!! Congrats in a big way. I know this wasn't easy for you because I was with you the first day you joined. You were definitely terrified. But look at you now! Ambien free after 20 long years. As you heal, you'll feel better and really realize how much the Ambien was causing many of your issues. I'm speaking from experience. I'm so proud of you. Love and hugs my dear  :smitten:

Kachina,

Congrats! I admire you! I am tapering from Xanax and became tolerant to 4 mg a day (2 mg at night) and it no longer worked for me. I took about 10 Ambien total and it quit working for me too. I was able to quit the Ambien CT with no problems other than my pre-existing insomnia.  I understand insomnia. That is my biggest symptom now. I admire your attitude of gratitude about your sleep. I feel the same way. Somebody on here said "Sleep will return" and I believe that.

I can't wait to follow in your jumping footsteps! Enjoy your freedom :)

HM

HeartMost!! THANK YOU for your lovely reply and I'm happy to read about your recovery, joy and positive attitude!!! Where do you post about your journey?

Kachina

I post in a couple different threads about Xanax withdrawal on the withdrawal support board and on the insomnia board on a couple threads. I find them by showing replies to my posts.

I have a ways to go to jump but I'll get there.

HM

[b3...]

Awesome KachinaBirdsong!  I'm so happy for you that you've closed this chapter of your life and are feeling better because of it.  This is a huge accomplishment on your part, way to go! 

:clap: