Symptom explanation… why do some struggle with some and not with others?

[Sh...]

Just don’t understand how someone can have severe anxiety all day but then sleep fine at night, only to have severe anxiety again upon waking. I am most days not having any anxiety yet cannot sleep to save myself. It doesn’t make sense.

Anyone else wonder about this?

I'm also wondering this because I'm one of them. I have very intense anxiety all day, I get in bed and the anxiety is unbearable, but 10 minutes and I'm sleeping.. what??? and I wake up about 5:00 am, and again a very intense anxiety and all my body is shaking but in 2 minutes I'm sleeping again.. how????? I can't believe it because almost all my life I've had a lot of trouble falling asleep, that's why I was prescribed Ambien before my first taper of 2013. During this taper, I only suffered of insomnia while on tolerance, and full insomnia (zero sleep) for a month when tapering. It went away a month before jumping and I hope it doesn't come back.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t know how anyone suffering the anxiety can sleep but I’m greatful they can coz they need a break.

Shayna,

I understand where you're coming from. I have manageable anxiety during the day and also struggle to sleep. Sometimes i lay there very peacefully, with NO anxiety but sleep eludes me. I stay in bed all night anyway but as morning approaches and I have to face that I barely (if at all) slept, the anxiety increases. I have very minimal symptoms with the exception of severe insomnia and minimal to moderate anxiety depending.

HM

I’m the same as u HM. Everything is manageable but when the sleep gets bad up pop the other symptoms. I’m going thru a very bad sleep period this week. Last week was ok this week terrible. Back to unisom which isn’t doing a lot

I would change my sleep for being able to eat. My first and worst symptom. Since I hit tolerance 1 year and half ago, I haven't been able to eat properly, I can't swallow and I have a ton of phlegm in my throat. A lot of times I feel like choking, it's very stressing. And not only choking when 'trying' to eat, but anytime, because of the phlegm, which no matter how many times I swallow saliva, or try to spit it, it never leaves. I've been tested deeply and they found nothing, it's the benzos.

I'd prefer not to sleep in exchange of getting rid of this nightmare...

Honestly, I doubt u would want the insomnia either. But I can understand wanting to get rid of that feeling iqts. That sounds horrible x I haven’t experienced that. Does it help if u eat soups and easier things to swallow?

Everyone has their worst symptom they would gladly trade for something else x

[3f...]
The mental torture - ugh!!! 9+ months and it's unrelenting. But yeah, I do sleep. I just don't want to wake up  :(

I wonder about this too. My insomnia is always anxiety induced, but not every night, although it’s becoming more frequent as I taper lower. This whole process is just a sh*tshow and I’m over it.

See that to me is very strange fluff. That u can switch off and sleep. I don’t have the mental torture as much anymore, but I remember when I had that too, there was no escape some days for me. Endless all day all night. I’m greatful at least now my mental stuff isn’t as bad so if I have a bad night I can cope to a degree. But after a few bad nights, yeah not much coping.

Honey I’m so sorry things are so tough for u right now. I’m with u buddy xx it’s rough stuff

I wonder about this too. My insomnia is always anxiety induced, but not every night, although it’s becoming more frequent as I taper lower. This whole process is just a sh*tshow and I’m over it.

I know. The not knowing does my head in. I’m a fixer, yet I cannot for the life of me figure this out. It’s like a Rubik’s cube… there’s got to be some way of solving it but I have no idea which way to turn to get there.

I hate it when I could literally do the same thing every single day and have a completely different outcome sleep wise.

It’s a mind f$ck

Think it's because withdrawal can affect the amygdala so some of us are constantly in fight or flight mode, hence some of us end up with bad anxiety and mental symptoms.I think sleep obviously helps your body but if you have anxiety it doesn't solve that, brain just has to repair itself. I'm getting about 4 hours a night which is manageable. Have you tried chamomile capsules, tea didn't do much but these are helping. Least you aren't getting mental symptoms, and are able get out do stuff, which is struggle for me, but having had years insomnia agree it's just as bad.. Like you I like to  be able fix things be proactive, but realising there is sod all we can do to help this just takes time.

Yeah I know everyone struggles with a main symptom and I know the mental stuff is hard coz I’ve had it too. But it just is strange that some people are troubled all day with high anxiety and mental symptoms and can sleep, and I’m not plagued all day with that and yet I can’t sleep. Makes no sense.

No I haven’t tried chamomile caps, but I’ve tried so many things now that I’m really over trying anything else.

I wish I could have all the money back on the things I’ve bought that haven’t done anything. I’d be rich

Do give them a try, unisom stopped working for me, I take them about hour before I go to bed, When I was having all crap with my family did  take couple rescue doses of zop as brain just went into overload couldn't cope, did knock me out but felt crap next day and the anxiety came back so won't do it again. So if the anxiety is withdrawal driven for some reason sleep doesn't seem help that. I do sympathise having had years insomnia, possibly as anxiety makes you physically exhausted as well as mentally maybe why some us are able to sleep , it's a conundrum?

I can understand why you have the insomnia as think I' m correct in saying you had it before taking the benzos so was pre existing. But I never had anxiety before coming off these meds, yet the insomnia which was why I started meds wasn't bad , get odd period when it's not good, but average 4 or 5 hours most nights which I got on the zop. Seems no logic to it?

My taper, thus far, is going OK if it wasn't for the insomnia. I slept a little bit last night and I do sleep a little most nights but I need to sleep a lot. I can't wait until my brain resolves this issue. All I can do is be patient. I'm sorry to all who have major mental and/or physical symptoms. My heart goes out to you. We'll see what happens with my symptoms as my dose gets lower.

HM

I can understand why you have the insomnia as think I' m correct in saying you had it before taking the benzos so was pre existing. But I never had anxiety before coming off these meds, yet the insomnia which was why I started meds wasn't bad , get odd period when it's not good, but average 4 or 5 hours most nights which I got on the zop. Seems no logic to it?

I didn’t have insomnia like this.

My insomnia before this mess was a walk in the park, where this insomnia I have now is like a walk in Jurassic park.

A bad night would probably be having trouble falling asleep for a few hours. Sometimes I might not sleep that night but the next night I’d sleep all night. Then maybe an early awakening here and there. It was never like this.

Shayna, these drugs exacerbate our “pre-existing” problems. I had intense anxiety before, but this feels far worse, plus it’s coupled with so many other issues… insomnia, pain… ugh.

My insomnia before this mess was a walk in the park, where this insomnia I have now is like a walk in Jurassic park.

A bad night would probably be having trouble falling asleep for a few hours. Sometimes I might not sleep that night but the next night I’d sleep all night. Then maybe an early awakening here and there. It was never like this.

Was it insomnia they put you on meds for. I can understand it amplifies the original problem or any other pre-existing conditions, just struggle as I never had anxiety or OCD before coming off zopiclone  was purely insomnia. So think why do some of us get awful mental symptoms when we never had them before. Whether it was CT  set it off who knows?

I'm with you Shayna. A bad night for me used  to be 5 hours of broken sleep. A bad night now is zero sleep. I have read on here others would had insomnia as bad as we do and they recovered so there is hope for us.

Yeah Leann it makes no sense at all.

HM I have been speaking to frieda8 lately, she had 0-2 for 2 years, then 2-4 for another 2 years. Now she sleeps 8-10. She got thru it so we can too x

Shayna, these drugs exacerbate our “pre-existing” problems. I had intense anxiety before, but this feels far worse, plus it’s coupled with so many other issues… insomnia, pain… ugh.

It sure is a crazy ride kits x

Yeah Leann it makes no sense at all.

HM I have been speaking to frieda8 lately, she had 0-2 for 2 years, then 2-4 for another 2 years. Now she sleeps 8-10. She got thru it so we can too x

That's quite a while to struggle with insomnia but I am happy she finally recovered. That story does give me hope.