Relation between damage intensity and previous problems?

[lq...]

Could there be a relation between the intensity of the damage done by benzos (tolerance, withdrawal and protracted) and existing problems before benzo usage?

And, if so, could resolving the pre-existing problems help with benzo recovering?

I'm wondering this because I've been looking through all my archive of pictures in my computer, and I can notice that before my first taper of 2013, the years I was polydrugged (the latter years abilify and zolpidem) I was better than nowadays, and the difference is I was very socialized. After I did my first taper my life changed 180º but I slowly became more and more isolated, and when the doctor put me on a benzo again in the end of 2019 (for a muscle cramp) the tolerance and withdrawal were much more intense. I'm wondering if I make a huge effort to re-socialize, I could make this more easy.

But this thread is not about me, is about benzo theory, to see if we can help other benzo buddies to heal faster.

Hi.

Something similar happened to me. I became a recluse partly because I felt so dissociated from life. It was like I was behind a glass watching everyone else.

I wanted to change this so I forced myself to go to AA meetings just to be around people. They did not make me talk. It was just being there and being around people and listening to what they said without having to do anything.

Eventually I was able to say hello after the meetings. It became easier and easier to be around people. I’m still not very good at conversation and socializing but I do it much easier now.

It seems like there a plenty who are isolated here, so you're in good company.  I'm normally a shy extrovert but have become reclusive the last few years.  It might just be a result of my chronic illness, as I've been on benzos long before feeling reclusive.  But it could be the benzos catching up.

Getting out is hard, though I always enjoy it and feel better for it.  I think it's a good idea to resocialize if you're up to it, hoping it doesn't cause you too much stress.