Author Topic: No trouble falling asleep, but can't stay asleep more then 1-4 hours.  (Read 3013 times)

[Buddie]

I am on day 4 off 3 mg Valium. The biggest issue I am having is that I can not stay asleep for more that 1-4 hour blocks. I am pretty sleep deprived by now, it's not fun at all. I am normally a heavy sleeper and sleep 8-10 hours.

What can I do to alleviate this? How long can I expect to not be able to stay asleep?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: No trouble falling asleep, but can't stay asleep more then 1-4 hours.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:56:05 pm »
It really just depends, everyone is different. My insomnia was horrid for months. I finally got to the point of sleeping most nights 6 hours just recently. Hang in there, things will get better it just takes time. I hope things improve very soon for you.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 10:53:42 pm »
What helped me was coming up with ways to get back to sleep after waking up.  Sometimes it took and hour or more at the beginning but now I can do it in 15 minutes or so.  I went through a couple of bad patches of little sleep but they eventually became few and far between. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:27:27 pm »
Just recently I haven't been able to fall back asleep as easily.  It's a real pain after having been able to sleep relatively well for the last 2 months.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 04:55:07 am »
Hi [...]!  (love the Igor avatar btw!)

I can definitely relate to that.  Insomnia is definitely no fun, as you said. 
It's my main w/d symptom.
For me, tossing and turning is just too frustrating when I awaken after trying to sleep.  So I'll usually turn on the light and read a book or magazine until I'm ready to start over.

Hoping you get a good night's sleep :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 05:23:02 am »
It took me about 7-10 days before I began sleeping longer hours.  It isn't perfect but for the most part has gotten much better.  Hang in there, it will get better.

Robin

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:23:27 am »
Crazy, on day 5 I slept 8 hours finally. Feeling better too. Cautiously optimistic.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:07:03 pm »
Wow, 8 hours.  Good deal.  How about the following nights?  Still good Shadow?

Hey, you should do a signature for background.  Found on the profile page.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 06:50:41 pm »
Wow, 8 hours.  Good deal.  How about the following nights?  Still good Shadow?

Hey, you should do a signature for background.  Found on the profile page.

The following day after the post I couldn't sleep again, lol. Now at 15 days it has improved to a point where with some hard work and melatonin I can sleep 'almost' enough.

Here is what I posted in another thread:

"Benzo free for 15 days now. First 5 days I could hardly sleep more than 1 hour per day. Now I am sleeping 6-8 hours most nights. Usually go to sleep around 10-11, wake up in the middle of the night sometimes 2 am, sometimes 4 am, move around for a half hour, take a 1.5mg melatonin and fall back asleep until 10 am.

It's still a fight to get to sleep and stay asleep through the night. Melatonin helps. I find it's good to keep a sleep journal as well. Helps to keep track of your progress and sleep hygiene. Also I think it's important to have a really dark room to sleep in, the light from my electronic alarm was actually waking me up."

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:18:27 pm »
Wow, you are doing great.  It is hard to reteach the body how to sleep normally.  You are making progress, like I did, one step forward and so on.....do you like white noise?  give a listen to the site in my sig line.  It is free.