Benzos affecting EKG ?

[Ch...]

I had an EKG recently which showed a number of issues, including slow heart rate (57 bpm) among other things.

I find this puzzling as I had many EKGs previously, which never indicated ant cardiac issues.

I am wondering whether a slight benzo updose the night before was to blame. I felt very slowed down and groggy in general, and do benzos not take over the job of the nervous system?  All the other issues were related to slowed transmission of electrical pulses.

I also am wondering whether the cardiac stress of battling against constant sedation hascaised issues. I know others have previously memtioned palpitations and the suspicion that benzos had caused afib. I feel this is the most worrying aspect of all in w/d.

I am also wondering wherther these issues can clear up after w/d is over, or whether the heart is permanently damaged.

I have afib and bradycardia, I had neither before all this mess. I have read that bradycardia eventually got better for some members, so I’m hopeful. A heart rate of 57 is ok x my heart gets down to 45 sometimes that’s pretty scary.

When u think about what Benzos do, they slow down and calm the cns. So if u think of that in terms of the heart, it kinda makes sense that this might happen. But it is strange when most buddies seem to be more on the tachycardia end.

Just letting u know I see you. The heart stuff is scary but have it all checked and put ur mind at ease x

I haven't had an EKG but I notice my heart beats harder and faster at times, and other times, it beats slower but not that slow (I don't think, anyway). I would hope it isn't permanent. Since most other symptoms are not permanent, it makes sense that this one wouldn't be either.

I hope your situation with your heart improves. Keep us posted.

HM

Thanks, both of you. I have bradycardia and first-degree AV block.

I am also hoping that they are a result of cns depression caused by benzos. It is encouraging to know that it may get better. I had had a higher dose the night before and definitely felt "slowed down" and groggy. Maybe I should get a repeat  EKG. I am promised an Echocardogram this year anyway. 

Chalkey,

I certainly hope this is a benzo WD symptom that will go away. Keep us posted with your symptoms/progress. Have a great Monday.

HM

I'd bet so, the heart responds like the rest of the body, it relaxes. I'd get a work up, I also did get a work up, think of when you quit, you get times of increased anxiety and BP, of course it does effect the entire body when you take it, but it also doesn't mean it's necessarily a concern.  My work up was 2 echoes, [ paid for one while waiting for the other] too much wait time! , a stress test, 2 week holter and CT with contrast. My heart was fine as well as the rest of my usual rhythm and walk to run changes, I believe these drugs do cause ekg changes as well as just being alive, living, eating, thinking etc. Getting checked will help you.  Even though I was ok , it was the whole process that convinced me I wanted to stop all medications.

Thanks HM and FC.

Many previous EKGs, even some from the past few months, showed up no adverse results, ever. This was my first private one however and I wonder if it was examined more assiduously than NHS ones or whether the benzo updose which slowed down every fibre of mind and body was behind it.

I've just cut again -  I am going to do 10% every 2 0r 3 weeks now if I can handle it until I get off this stuff.

Since I posted this thread I have received an Echo appointment for mid-July. 

Chalkey,

You've come so far and are so close to getting off benzo's! I admire you and can't wait until I am that close. You're doing amazingly well.

HM

It was my ekg that lead me to get off all of this , I had normal variant inverted t waves, but let me tell you what, I don't care ... im so convinced even though it hasn't permanently damaged my muscle yet, it could. I dont want this anymore , this worry

They said, its fine , it's normal, just not everyone is the same , ekg doesn't mean damage always. I walked out and I said I'm getting off this crap

I also worry it is damaging the heart muscle. Or specifically, the terrible fatigue, slowed CNS and general increased workload is. As you say another reason to get off.

@HM why thankyou!