Where is the old me?

[Ka...]

Found this site while searching for insomnia treatment. Been using ambien for years, but has lost its effectiveness, now taking ambien cr but not working either. Panic attacks and anxiety have set in.  Prescribed Loprazolam .5 mg. and Pristiq.  I feel terrible all the time.  Looking for support system. 

Hello Kat101, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Oh my, what timing, I was just updating my success story to include my experience with Ambien and boy, did it do a number on me, very similar to what you're going through.  The darn half life of Ambien is short so you can get 8 hours of sleep and wake up refreshed, of course after our body gets tolerant to the drug, we don't get anywhere near 8 hours and we feel like garbage all day because our body is craving another dose, sound familiar?

I found that getting off of Ambien freed me from the fear of not having it, the fear that I won't be able to sleep without and well, just fear in general.  And the sleep I can get without the drug is so satisfying and refreshing, its real sleep, not that twilight stuff that doesn't actually contribute to good health.

I hope you'll join me and so many others in finding your way off of Ambien, life is so good without it. 

Have you started taking the Loprazolam and Pristiq?

We generally suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week or two depending on your symptoms, some can taper the z-drugs a little faster but it all depends on how you feel.

I'll give you some links to get you started but feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Hi Kat101,

I am sorry you are dealing with Ambien tolerance. I built up a tolerance to Xanax and tried Ambien to help me sleep and it didn't touch me so I have a tolerance to Ambien as well. There is an insomnia area where there are a few active threads. I am tapering Xanax and insomnia is my biggest WD symptom so I understand how you feel. Welcome to BB and I hope you are able to learn an effective way to taper off your Ambien and, over time, learn to sleep naturally. Time is really the only healer.

It's good to have you. I am relatively new too. I have been tapering for 5.5 weeks from 4 mg Xanax that I became tolerant too.

HM

Hi Kat. Your subject really grabbed me. I am a shell of my old self so I understand. I'm on a different medication but you are in a great place for support and information. I wish you the best.