Inpatient

[sm...]

My impatient self is considering going inpatient again because I cannot stand the way I feel and want to rip this band aid off. Taking ativan and Valium right now but feeling like i'm never going to be able to find a stable dose because of how many times i've been messed around with my dosing, detox attempts and CT. The detox said they usually use phenobarbital and librium and I wouldn't leave detox until I was stable there wasn't a time table. It is the most reputable facility in my area.  I asked to speak with someone from the medical team first before I committed to going so I do not get myself into a disaster where its a firm 4-7 days and just try to give you extreme dosages of seroquel for withdrawals like my past experiences.  Does anyone know how librium compares to valium as far as sedation?  I know librium has an extremely long half life.

I understand how you feel, you just want someone to help you feel better, I hope you find what you're looking for and wish you all the best.  Please let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

I can't answer your question as far as Librium vs. Seroquel. My biggest WD symptom is insomnia and nothing helps with it. I considered detox too but prefer to stick with my liquid taper and avoid the possible severe WD of inpatient detox. Please keep us posted. I am curious how people fare after "ripping off the bandaid". I wish you the best no matter what you choose. I understand the impatience. I feel it too. I am only 5 weeks in and I am ready to be done! BUT I like that I can control my taper and hold if it gets to be too much.

HM

I went to facility and ripped the band aid off

Not good

Understand that you are already on a benzo....then they will essentially load you up with big doses of Librium(more benzo)

Then they will just CT that. That's how they do it.

So think about that?, think about just taking way more of a benzo then stopping it. That is actually pretty ridiculous. It's no wonder I had such a horrific time!!!

Then, they will offer more drugs like ADs and APs, all of which made me worse. I left there in a wheelchair. It was not pretty

On a positive note, though... I am 2 years off now and doing great! But my WD was one of those that is up there as far as suffering goes, so I am no stranger to understanding your pain and desire to want to be rid of the poison!!!

I went to facility and ripped the band aid off

Not good

Understand that you are already on a benzo....then they will essentially load you up with big doses of Librium(more benzo)

Then they will just CT that. That's how they do it.

So think about that?, think about just taking way more of a benzo then stopping it. That is actually pretty ridiculous. It's no wonder I had such a horrific time!!!

Then, they will offer more drugs like ADs and APs, all of which made me worse. I left there in a wheelchair. It was not pretty

On a positive note, though... I am 2 years off now and doing great! But my WD was one of those that is up there as far as suffering goes, so I am no stranger to understanding your pain and desire to want to be rid of the poison!!!

That sounds like it was horrible,pump you up even higher where you feel beyond good, and then let u degrade in the days to come, is sure way to induce shock as for other drugs yes it's proven way to wean people off and once initial danger oasses they begin to heal, but benzos in many cases roll like waves thus it simply isn't a real option to use as treatment, in long term users, as only thing it does leave person at rapid cold turkey, which honestly can be achieved by anyone at home -medical care setting where if something wrong they can pump you back up.

I went to an inpatient facility in 2018 for alcohol abuse. My drinking was really out of control. When I called to get a bed they asked me what medications I was prescribed.  I told told them that I take 3mgs of Ativan a day (my rx was for 4 mg per day), but at that point I was only taking 3mgs per day.  They said to me that they do not give anyone benzodiazepines at their particular facility. I had no idea of benzo withdrawal and said that was fine with me. My first two days were a little rough, but I chalked that up to quitting the booze. After those couple of days I felt fine and had no withdrawals. This was after almost 10 years of daily Ativan use. I don’t know how my body didn’t become dependent on Ativan after 10 years of daily use at a somewhat high dose. That’s why I reinstated this past November with the remaining pills from the scripts I had from a couple of years ago to manage my panic attacks again. It worked really well the last time, so I thought I would take the remaining pills to calm me down then stop.. I thought if I didn’t become addicted to them after 10 years I would be fine taking them for another couple of months. I took them for 2.5 months and tried to stop and all hell broke loose.  I had no idea what kindling was or how long these withdrawals can last. That’s when I got with a doctor and switched to clonazepam and started my taper. This just proves how unpredictable this medication can be.

From my experience, impatient cold turkey worked for me that time, though I didn’t even know I was with drawling from them. When I left I decided to not take my Ativan anymore since I went 28 days without it. I knew they were addictive, but assumed withdrawal only came to those who abused or took large quantities because I didn’t have withdrawals the first time. It wasn’t anything they gave me or did that helped me through it. I was just lucky. That’s why a lot of doctors seem like it is easy to fast taper these drugs. Some people, like myself, have had little to no issues with cessation of these evil pills.

If you are having trouble reducing your dose, then I expect a rapid/cold turkey withdrawal will be very bad/dangerous. I was clueless about it when I went to the detox/rehab facility, and got very lucky. This time around it is much different for me. I would be very hesitant to do so myself. I first thought about going impatient again, but then realized they will just cold turkey and then expect you to go to your meetings there. I’m sure I would AMA myself out of there once acute hit.

Once again, if it were me I would think long and hard about impatient detox, but that’s how some people are, they just want to get it over with. I would do it if i knew there would only be 2 weeks of bad withdrawals then things get rapidly better (like opiates and other drugs). But the thought of a rapid withdrawal and having greater chances of protected and intense acute withdrawal for many months or years makes it only a very last resort for me. Like if I got cut off of my benzos by my doctor and couldn’t find any on the street.. That’s the only situation where I personally would go impatient .

TDI,

Thanks for your post. I have bipolar and ended up hospitalized for it a few months ago. They did not give me my 4 mg of Xanax and gave me a much smaller dose of Ativan at bedtime. Aside from insomnia, I had no real WD symptoms. Fast forward to getting out of the hospital and back on my Xanax (I had no idea I should have left well enough alone), it wasn't long before I hit tolerance and paradox and now I am having to taper off of it. It amazes me when I think about it how they CT me from such a high dose and replaced it with something that was a 1/10th of my dose and I had no WD and now I have to be very careful. Like I said before, I wish it were as easy as going to detox and having withdrawals for a few days or couple weeks. I wish. I'd be in BIG trouble WD wise.

HM

Like they say, ignorance is bliss. I had no idea the potential trouble I was in during my first cold turkey withdrawal. I didn’t even think about it. I now realize that they put me in a room by myself for the first 72 hours and checked on me 3-4 times an hour. They would just look in the room to make sure I wasn’t having seizures or anything else really dangerous is my guess now, but I was fine. If it were only that easy for everyone there would be no need for this site or any other benzo withdrawal forums. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Impatient detox is a personal choice that I personally would not consider now, but if that is the only option at least you have medical professionals near by. My detox place was attached to a small hospital-like setting in Philadelphia, so if life threatening issues did arise I would have been 500 yards or so from a real hospital.

• 2 weeks later...
Did not end up going yet. Have been able to decrease from 4 MG Ativan 10 MG valium at night. To .5 MG Ativan 4X daily during the day 15 MG Valium at night. I unfortunately cannot tolerate the valium during the day so looks like I will have to do some sort of hybrid taper. Will there ever be treatment centers or an actual withdrawal drug for people like us to make this more simple? God this is making me so restless, like I am missing out on life right now.

Smitty,

If they come up with a miracle WD drug that doesn't harm you, I'll be first in line. I am glad your taper is working for you. Sorry you can't use the V during the day. I hope you have smooth sailing as much as possible.

HM

haha I'm still a mess, but at least I'm not any worse yet. If only there was just one withdraw drug that helped. It always turns into 4-6 at the treatment centers that don't really help. The valium made me actually sleep through the night for the first time in months so I was hopeful, but 

• 1 month later...