Can we get better and STAY better?

[46...]

[46...]

Ugh, I am so much in need of someone to talk to me.

So, when people post success stories, I am guessing there was a time when they got better and stayed better. Right? This can happen?

:( :( :(

Of course, that's how we all heal.

In my first taper, after 20 years polydrugged, I healed in two months after jumping, and stayed 6 years 100% symptom free. So yes, it definitely happens.

Hi fluffer,

Hang in there! I agree that some of the success stories are mixed in with some bad news but I know there are people that taper off, do really well and just don't post about it. I am a believer in time healing and 'this too, shall pass'. I am certain that we have windows ahead and, eventually, healing and "staying" better the vast majority of the time. I have only been tapering 5 weeks off a very high dose and I am already wondering when I will be healed completely. I have read websites online that talk about rapid tapering or cold turkey and being back to 100% in a couple months or even a few weeks and it's just BS for most of us. Time is the true healer, especially when it comes to benzo's. Like I said; hang in there! xoxoxo

Thanks for your words of wisdom and healing Iqtys! Much appreciated :)

HM

Of course, Fluffer, there are plenty of cases where buddies got better and stayed better!  I am a little down and out today, so I have been reading one success story after another, as well as the benzo celebrations and milestones.  From short timers to long timers to everything in between, BBs post their recovery stories, and remind those of us still in the fray, that we will recover and they are the living proof of it!  Even the most injured speak of having survived horrible symptoms and are totally healed, with all symptoms dropping away.

I have to believe this....and my windows will allow me to move forward and stay the course. Hope and faith are what we need in the worst of times and in the best of times!

Hugs,

GG :smitten:

Fluff,

We always seem to be on the same wavelength. I couldn't have asked it better myself. Really struggling and need some real hope. Thanks for the positive replies. Hugs to all!

LiveLife

Flutternut this the the whole goal of getting off the meds. To allow our bodies to completely heal or recover as much as possible. There's some that recover and come back to let us know. Others recovered and don't return. But everyone recovers to a certain degree from what I've read. MOST recover fully.  :thumbsup: I'm sure you will be one of the recovered too. And so will I. Matter of fact, I'm on my way! Be encouraged dear! It doesn't feel good but our brains know what to do. I have to believe that we will fully recover. There's too many that have on here for me to think otherwise.

Hang in there Fluffer! Keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will get to the other side. :thumbsup:

Blessings and peace :smitten:

PG

[1c...]
It is my experience that staying better is a relative term. Overall my life now is better than when I was on benzos but I certainly still have my "days" and I know that won't change.  Some days the best I've got is to make it to bedtime but I am getting better at accepting that is life.

That's so good to hear. It's good to know life can be better than it ever was on benzo's. It's inspiring. I have gone periods in my life without Xanax and I was OK but it's hard to remember the difference now. I have chronic anxiety and panic which is why it was prescribed in the first place. I hope I can manage without it. I have no choice because it doesn't help anymore anyway. I hit tolerance. That's why i am getting off it. That and the risk that I may lose the Rx down the road anyway and I would hate to be forced into CT. I am liquid tapering and not throwing anything out. I am stock piling my Xanax to last my taper. I will wait about 2 months when I am finished to throw it out. To be sure I am on the mend. I hope I feel better than ever.

Thanks again,

HM

Well I have heard rumors tha people get better and stay better.  I have not yet had the pleasure of this experience, lol.  Lookin forward to that day!

Fluff, I got better . . . but it was slow. Three years of gradual but noticeable improvement. And I've stayed better. No relapses into my horrid s/x. Ever. I still have a day or so now and then with fatigue and headaches, but omg I'll take them! If that's all the rotten lingering s/x I ever get from this rotten awful w/d, bring them on. And who's to say I wouldn't have felt fatigued or headachey anyhow? Crap, I have 10 years of ADs and benzos plus two years of tapering behind me. I'm an old geezer now!

Whatever, I can work in my old profession (I'm an author), drive wherever I want to, eat anything, drink coffee and wine, and do pretty much everything I did before I got waylaid into benzos. Now if my tai chi class would just start up again, I'd be fulfilled.

One secret . . . if it is a secret . . . was to get off and stay off drugs except the ones I need to keep me healthy i.e. my beta blocker.  I must have tried everything during my taper. At least for me, being drug/supplement-free makes me feel a lot better. Heck, nothing "worked" anyhow. Just time. (I do take a little CBD mj now and then when I get squirrelly, but very little).

Ah . . .  another secret . . . I have a therapist who I see regularly. I saw her before benzos, all throughout my taper, and now. She has been a wonderful steadying influence for me. Also, getting out of bed, having a shower, finding matching socks, and driving to the next town to see her was in itself therapeutic. I thereby avoided the "on the couch"/agoraphobia  syndrome so many bbs fall into. I got a little nutso about my car (a weird OCD thing) midway through my taper, but I muscled through that with my therapist's help. Anyhoo . . .

So, that's my story, morning glory.

Best to you,

Katz

Fluff, I got better . . . but it was slow. Three years of gradual but noticeable improvement. And I've stayed better. No relapses into my horrid s/x. Ever. I still have a day or so now and then with fatigue and headaches, but omg I'll take them! If that's all the rotten lingering s/x I ever get from this rotten awful w/d, bring them on. And who's to say I wouldn't have felt fatigued or headachey anyhow? Crap, I have 10 years of ADs and benzos plus two years of tapering behind me. I'm an old geezer now!

Whatever, I can work in my old profession (I'm an author), drive wherever I want to, eat anything, drink coffee and wine, and do pretty much everything I did before I got waylaid into benzos. Now if my tai chi class would just start up again, I'd be fulfilled.

One secret . . . if it is a secret . . . was to get off and stay off drugs except the ones I need to keep me healthy i.e. my beta blocker.  I must have tried everything during my taper. At least for me, being drug/supplement-free makes me feel a lot better. Heck, nothing "worked" anyhow. Just time. (I do take a little CBD mj now and then when I get squirrelly, but very little).

Ah . . .  another secret . . . I have a therapist who I see regularly. I saw her before benzos, all throughout my taper, and now. She has been a wonderful steadying influence for me. Also, getting out of bed, having a shower, finding matching socks, and driving to the next town to see her was in itself therapeutic. I thereby avoided the "on the couch"/agoraphobia  syndrome so many bbs fall into. I got a little nutso about my car (a weird OCD thing) midway through my taper, but I muscled through that with my therapist's help. Anyhoo . . .

So, that's my story, morning glory.

Best to you,

Katz

Katz,

Thank you so much for this response to fluffernutter.  I think it really helps those of us who were very short-time use and thrown into this mess pretty quickly.  It's that whole analogy to being in a terrible accident; one moment feeling happy-go lucky normal, the next in pain, confused, and quite frankly, scared of what the future holds because the current present is a nightmare.   

Also, thank you for staying on here to give sage, common-sense advice.  I appreciate the calming voices here who steer the ship with ease and assurance, and yours is one of them.

I also appreciate the success stories where you get better and stay better and all the tapering pain and WD is behind you. Thank you for sharing, Katz. I am early in my taper but, obviously, already tired of it.

Thanks, again,

HM