Author Topic: Mutiple Tapers/long haulers/high dosages  (Read 4285 times)

[Buddie]

Mutiple Tapers/long haulers/high dosages
« on: June 10, 2021, 06:25:26 pm »
I am starting this support group for those of us who have been on this merry go round more than once, with more than 1 taper. Also for folks who have been or are at a high dose. Also, if you have been on your med for a long time.

I know there are plenty of us, so hopefully we can get a support group going.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:31:21 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Mutiple Tapers/long haulers/high dosages
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 06:50:08 pm »
I took .25 mg twice a day for about 4 years and it worked well. I was then hospitalized and CT off Xanax and tolerated it pretty well. Fast forward to 2020 and I told my new Dr. I need Xanax and I told him .25 mg twice a day but he prescribed me 2 mg twice a day! I thought I hit the lottery. 8 months later I was at the ceiling, hit tolerance and was in paradox on my doses. Now I am doing a liquid taper. Out of sheer fear of paradox combined with fear of WD, I ended up dropping to 2 mg immediately. I am now (5 weeks later) down to 1.4 mg a day. I have horrible insomnia (last night was slightly better) and mild to moderate anxiety all the time. I also have some shaking at times. Other than that, no more paradox and no other major symptoms. I don't need anymore!

I have PTSD and a history of insomnia, panic and anxiety. I will have to learn to navigate these things without the aid of Xanax which I am tolerant to anyway. I am hoping my brain can heal while I taper so that I can ease off this med in a few months and be OK. Wishful thinking perhaps but that is my goal. I am hypersensitive to life's ups and downs.

I look forward to hearing from other high dose/years long benzo users to exchange support.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 06:31:35 pm »
Following.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 02:21:28 am »
[...],

What a great idea to start this. Hopefully it will have more who join. I, as you, am sure that there are many others out there. I have read many of your posts and can relate to your struggles of trying to get off of these drugs.
My ordeal started back in 1997 and hence the Klonopin given in 1998.
I had a surgery that was not needed and then the Dr. didn't know how to manage hormones afterward. Not enough, and then a patch that I had a severe adverse reaction to. That led to the Klonopin and the rest has been a wild ride up to this point.
I will go into further details next post as it is late.
I wanted to say that I am on a high dose. Last year I was on half of this. Many stressors led to the up dose.
I have been on this drug 23 years, minus 4 months sitting in C/T, until I was reinstated. I did great for 6 years stabilizing and tapering until the stressors came. I am 67 now and [...] if I will ever get off.

Thanks again for doing this.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 01:33:44 pm »
I'm definitely a long hauler as I have been methodically reducing for 3+ years now. Additionally I've been on this for 23 years (including the tapering years).  High dose?  Got that too!  Topped out at 6 milligrams of Xanax.  I do fit into "multiple tapers".  I never really thought about this because I was put on Xanax several months prior to finding out that I was pregnant with my son and stopped cold turkey the day I found out that I was pregnant with zero issues at all.  I have to [...] now if that's part of the reason I'm struggling so much.  Everyone talks about how multiple tapers can be problematic.  I'll never know if it was that or if it's simply because I've been on it for so long.

Nevertheless, I'm hopefully about to cross the finish line in a few months.  Fingers crossed!! 

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 02:07:54 pm »
Hi [...],

I am so glad that you are near the finish line!
You have been on the drug as long as I have. It is amazing that you quit C/T when you were pregnant with no problem. I am glad that you did.
After being put on the K due to the patch reaction, I tried for years to get off. Early on, I had no computer and all the Dr knew to do was cut by .25mg/week. It was horrific and needless to say I had to up dose. After a 4 years of trying, I thought a detox center would know how to get people off. It was horrific. I was jerked off and given a week of Phenobarb. I was treated like an animal. I was not an addict like the rest who were on heroin, cocaine, etc. I was so sick and thought I would die.
I checked out and went home where I kept getting worse. My ex husband had a demanding job and traveled. My son was in college, so my Mom came and got me. She took care of me for 4 months.
I finally got into see a benzo wise Dr. and he immediately reinstated me. He was angry and appalled as to why they put me on and how the detox got me off. He stated that it takes years to get off.
I am grateful that I made it through, as I could not even drive.
Fast forward and after many attempts and getting down to 1.25mg back in 2006, I was doing great until my Mom started with major health issues. She lived 3 hours away. Also a setback with being on Progesterone back in 2013. Had to up dose.
I was doing great again last year and was at 1.75 mg, when my Mom had to have major surgery at 92. Then a medication induced antibiotic setback. Had to up dose again.
I still have hope that I will one day at least get down lower. I am very driven and can't give up hope.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 05:25:59 pm »
I'm on here primarily because of the high dose I was on (4 mg Xanax) but I have also, in the past been on .25 mg twice a day and was CT'd of that then reinstated by another Dr. a couple years later, then that Dr. cut me off. My brain has been through a little bit with regards to Xanax.
I started my current dose a year ago and hit tolerance 6 weeks ago and started tapering. Insomnia and anxiety are my biggest symptoms. I am going to hold my current dose for a couple more weeks due to anxiety.

I hope you all are having the best Friday you can have,

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 04:08:22 pm »
Heart-

before you cut from 4 to 2 mgs, how much xanax were you taking per dose and how often. I just made a big cut, I suspect my body wont tolerate it, but I am sick of paradoxes. Thanks!

-That went badly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:08:12 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 10:21:56 pm »
Hi [...],

When I was on 4 mg of Xanax, I used a 2 mg tab during the day by biting (I know...) off 1/3rd at 11:30 am, then at 3:30pm and then I would take the last bit at 6:30 pm, then at 9pm (or so) I took the other 2 mg tab all at once to sleep. About 6.5 weeks ago, it quit working for me. I had bad interdose WD and even a 2mg tab wouldn't put me to sleep. It caused my heart to pound and for me to get breathless. I ordinarily wouldn't cut 50% right out of the gate but I was actually afraid to take it. I cut a 2 mg pill in 8th's and took .25 mg (or the best I could do to cut it accurately) every 3 hours. After having crumbs and bits everywhere and feeling like my pieces were not uniform, I went to a liquid taper where I dissolved a 2 mg tab in 200 ml of water. At dose time, I shake my water bottle to disperse the Xanax and then pour some in a measuring cup. I use a syringe to draw up my dose and then pour the remainder back in the water bottle. No wasting. I stock pile my pills and don't throw out liquid just in case I get cut off my Rx. I am planning to jump when I am down to 1 ml, one time a day which is .01 mg.

Hope that helps. I am holding my current dose of 16.5 ml every 3 hrs as I have some stressful events coming up. On July 2nd, I will cut again. I have noticed that the lower in dose I get, the more sensitive I get. That's a bummer because I want to be off this stuff. I am going a little bit fast because of fear of losing my Rx.

What is your current dose? and what are you cutting to?

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 12:31:07 am »
Current dose 2.75 Mg's (352 weight  x3.) Pills weigh an average of 128. I have 1 MG and .25 Mg pills. So that is 2 full 1 MG pills, half a 1 Mg pill, and a .25. Mostly paradoxes, feel very undermedicated, but I refuse to increase. I took a 2 mg tablet (256 weight) as an experiment. Not a paradox, but my sxs symptoms were pretty unbearable.(dose 2) It made the dose 3 paradox worse. I didn't think it would work, I wish it would. I hate taking my pills, and I so desperately wish I could do a big cut.

I have struggled with this for over a year. Paradoxing is the the norm. I was going over 9 mg a few months ago (mostly @ 2.75 and adding bumps.), cut to 9, then have been ticking it down slowly, as I really really feel the cuts. I hit the wall when I updosed during a crisis just over a year ago, and increased my xanax to include a 4th dose. Had been taking 3 doses a day of 2.25  I have never recovered. Tapering has been everything I can come up with, it was all very painful. Decided a few months ago I just have to live in pain and taper regardless out of the 9 range. I am at 8.25 now. Was painful. Remains painful.

Once a cut stops paradoxing, it usually only lasts 3 days, then it begins again. I have been in the range of 352 to 368 for about a month. Sometimes bumping dose 2 up to 2.9 (actually I just add .16 mg can knock me out of the interdose.) But if I do it every day, it will start paradoxing as well.

I think I am someone who is just going to suffer through this. Have never felt good on xanax, this time around, even in the beginning.

Looking back, I made so many mistakes. Updosing as I hit tolerance, irregular dosing, and then the lid on the coffin was adding that 3ed dose.

I am doing everything I can to get out of this, I refuse to have the rest of my life continue to be ruined by these drugs.  Back when I started at 6 Mg's I could taper without so much drama. My doses were much much smaller, and I took about 4-5 a day, too frazzled to figure out the dosage. Had some Ct's for medical procedures and failed crossovers. ([...] and xanax xr) I also was floxed for 4 weeks, another crisis which felt like CT. Each time I landed at about 8, but was able to get down to 6 over time.

Until that last very large updose. That's when I hit the wall and got stuck.

Want to add that about 20 years ago I was on xanax, 10 mg a day. I took 1 mg every few hours. Did not know squat about the drug. I was getting benefit, and never needed to updose. My then psych cut me off cold turkey for no reason, and told me I would be over it in 3 days. It took 2 years.

Fast forward to menopause. Anxiety was again running my life. My pdoc put me on an antidepressant, and gave me xanax to adapt. The antidepressant made me insane, so I stopped after 2 weeks. But I now had a 6 mg a day xanax habit. I seriously still knew nothing, except that I was once again dependent. I'm coming up on year 7 of this.

The second time around on xanax has been completely different than the first. It never felt good, and I didn't know what to do but take more. I finally found this site, and  went OMG. I still made a lot of mistakes, even with the evidence that the updosing and irregularity were not helping me. A lot of it was the times I had to stop for a while due to the issues I described, and went from 6 to 8 once I was out of the various interuptions. Was always able to get back down to 6 mg, then something else would hit and throw me off.

I am also on seroquel, but besides making me gain 50 pounds, it does tone down the wd from my last dose, and I sleep about 4 hours a night. I need to hang on to that for now.

That is why I wanted to start this support group.

I do not expect anyone to have answers, but  am hoping for a forum where people can relate to these issues.