Thinking about going in to a rehab/detox hospital

[Gu...]

I just can wait 2 months to be off these evil drugs ...is this a bad idea? I think most drs. don't understand the hell we go through.

From what I've heard, it's a bad idea. They taper you far too fast, then ship you off home to deal with the horror show on your own. That's just what I've heard on here, I'm sure they could work for some people, but a slow taper would be the best. The way I see it you will definitely suffer at detox, you may suffer with a slow taper but most don't suffer much or these boards would be full

[09...]

Guitar1, I am so sorry you are feeling so anxious about tapering but I do understand since I was there at one time.  Most of the members here who have gone to a detox/rehab have reported their experiences weren't that great.  I do recall one member said they went and said they were glad they did it.  If you decide to do this, you will have to accept that you will likely be taken off your benzo very quickly.

Whatever you decide, we will support you.  :thumbsup:

I have also considered it and ruled it out. In a matter of days, the wean you off your benzo and you're sprung into deep WD and no way to deal with it. I looked into one recently and it was either 4 or 8 days of detox! That's lightening fast. On my own, I am already doing a relatively rapid taper that is taking months. I totally understand wanting to be done with this. I want to be done too but it just doesn't work like that. If I thought they had some magical way to get me through WD in 8 days, I'd be the first to sign up. Even 90 days (which the detox portion is only a few days) is too fast. Let us know what you decide but IMO, typically those detox places go way too fast and then you are forced to go through hellish WD or reinstate and do a taper.

HM

Hi there, I've done both the detox/rehab, and also a year long slow taper on my own. The detox was awful - I couldn't function normally afterwards, and that was after tapering down for a month (I was there for 6 weeks). I was only off the medication for two weeks total and had to reinstate when I got out. I took it for a few more years, then decided to taper again on my own. It was awful, but not as bad as the rehab. When I finally took my last dose (May 10th 2021) the withdrawal symptoms were pretty much over, and I've been off them now for a month. After over 20 years of daily use! I say if you can do it you might be better off on your own, but you have to be DILIGENT. By the end of my taper I was breaking the pills up into crumbs and weighing them to get the correct dose. My original dose was three .5 mg pills a day, and my final dose was 1/25th of a 5 mg pill, twice a day.

Best of luck!

-L

Thank you for the responses ! thats my problem...I don't have the time or patience to weigh the pills and or set up a chemistry shop in my bedroom. If I knew how id be up for it :} thanks again!

Guitar,

What benzo are you taking and at what dose? I hear you on having no patience. I am doing a liquid taper where I dissolve a 2 mg tab of Xanax in 200 ml water. I am currently at a dose of 17 to 18 ml which is equal to .17 mg or .18 mg. (1 ml = .01 mg). I don't throw anything out. I just use a syringe and a shot glass to drink my doses. I am planning (hopefully) to cut to a dose of .01 mg a day and then jump after a few months. i want this shit out of my life yesterday, so I understand your impatience. It just so happens that for most of us, WD symptoms are not conducive to rapid taper or cold turkey.

For most people, cold turkey is not an option without them reinstating, kindling and starting over with worse WD than they would have had if they taper'd the first time.

Let us know what you decide to do.

HM

It’s hard to tell. If you’re on this forum that means you probably have trouble getting off the medication. I took between 3 and 4 milligrams of Ativan a day for almost ten years and went to a rehab/detox facility to get off alcohol. They told me they can’t give me my prescription benzos at the place I went. I was fine with that because I was clueless about benzo withdrawal. I didn’t have any withdrawal symptoms. I was fine after 2 days of minor anxiety and insomnia. I chalked that up to giving up the booze.  This second time around is a much different story for me even though I only took benzos for 2.5 months before I decided to stop/taper.  I think there are many people that can just stop benzos without much trouble. I was one of them, but if you’re having trouble tapering then a cold Turkey or rapid taper will probably be hell. 

Guitar1, I am so sorry you are feeling so anxious about tapering but I do understand since I was there at one time.  Most of the members here who have gone to a detox/rehab have reported their experiences weren't that great.  I do recall one member said they went and said they were glad they did it.  If you decide to do this, you will have to accept that you will likely be taken off your benzo very quickly.

I am shocked at how quickly you were able to get off Klonopin.  I am suffering still.  I have been working on tapering  since 2017.  I feel worse now than ever.  Did you have help?  Do you have a story of how you did it?

I feel like such a failure.

I am shocked at how quickly you were able to get off Klonopin.  I am suffering still.  I have been working on tapering  since 2017.  I feel worse now than ever.  Did you have help?  Do you have a story of how you did it?

Same here! Been tapering since early 2016 and still have a decent chunk to go

[09...]

mom2mkld, I did my own taper.  Patience is not one of my strengths so I tapered a little faster than what is recommended.  This site was my main source of support and information.  I did dry cuts until I got to the last 0.5mg and then switched to liquid.  I had been on benzos for so long that I actually began to feel better as I tapered and got them out of my system.  It was not easy and there was definitely some suffering along the way but I had not been in a good place for quite a while anyway and finally got honest with myself about that and tapered off.

Kate08,

That is so inspiring! I hope I have that experience of feeling better WHILE I taper. So far, my WD symptoms are manageable and I am going at a rapid clip but to feel better as I cut would be awesome. Congrats to you!

HM