Taper order and methods

[Wa...]

Last fall 2020 I was prescribed by my neurologist for akathisia:

30mg zolpidem (10mg 3xday)

600 mg Gabapentin (200 mg/day)

120 mg propranalol (40 mg 3xday)

1.25 clonazepam (.5 2xday and .25 1xday) added back after stopping

22.5 Mirtazapine (Remeron) at night

I tapered off what they thought was the causation drug (Cymbalta) last spring 2020 because of Tardive Dyskinesia

Summer 2020 Akathisia increased, neurologist had me stop all other meds (doxycycline, plaquenil, clonazepam 1 mg) with no taper, and put me on this new regimen. The akathisia has continued and increased. I have reduced the zolpidem by breaking in pieces for 2 of the doses (before I knew about taper groups and guidelines), am now down to 20 mg.

I'm not sure what to taper next (Zolpidem is the most likely) and what method to taper safely. My neurologist wants me to stay on the meds, but said if I choose to taper, they have a fast 4 week taper plan. I also worry that by neurologist re-adding the clonazepam 3 months after being told to to stop it, that I was kindled.

[d4...]

Hello Watercolor8, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We are glad you are here!  We certainly can help you with tapering Zolpidem if that is the way you choose to go.  We have a board designated for taper help and here is the link:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

We suggest a slow taper of no more than 5-10% of you dose every two weeks or so to minimize withdrawl symptoms.  We also suggest that you taper only one medication at a time.  You will find withdrawl support on this board:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

One last thing :  we have a support group for people on Z-drugs like Zolpidem and this is the link:

Z-drug Withdrawal Support Group

Look around, get settled in and when you are ready, you can start a thread.  Let us know how we can help you.

Again, welcome,

Kate

Water,

Welcome! I look forward to following your journey and supporting you. I am 5.5 weeks into my taper so I am relatively new here too.

Take Care,

HM

I want to taper slowly from 20 mg zolpidem prescribed by my neurologist for akathisia. I broke tablets in December thru Feb to reduce from original 30 mg (too fast), but cannot due the math for liquid or dry to reduce by 10%. Any help appreciated, as this akathisia makes cognition so difficult. My schedule is 7.5 mg morning, 7.5 mg afternoon, 5 mg night.

Thank you

water,

In the beginning, you can just use a pill cutter to gradually reduce your dose. That's what i did. Then when I wanted to reduce further, I went to a liquid taper. I dissolve a 2 mg tab of Xanax in 200 ml water (it dissolves easily, which you have to consider) and that = .01 mg per ml. I currently take 16.5ml every 3 hours. I mix my solution in a water bottle then pour some in a measuring cup. I use a syringe to draw up my dose(s) then I squirt it into a shot glass and drink it. I then pour the remainder of the solution from the measuring cup back into the water bottle for later. There are some particles of benzo that stick to the sides, but it is consistent and predictable. I don't know if you can do that with Z drugs or not. Also, I dose frequently because of Xanax short half life. Surely, you'll be able to figure out a method that works for you to taper down your Z drug. There are a lot of resources on here for tapering.

Keep us posted as to what method you choose to use to taper and your progress.

HM