FREE meetings with benzo-wise doctors - DocTalks - starting June 22

[Ma...]

The Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices is hosting monthly DocTalks.  Each of these virtual meetings give you a chance to talk directly with a benzodiazepine expert about your concerns.  Attendance is limited to 14 persons.  The first DocTalk:

Working With Your Prescriber • June 22, 2021 • featuring Steven Wright, MD

For more information and to register, use this link:

https://www.classy.org/event/alliance-for-benzodiazepine-best-practices-doctalk/e339680

Upcoming Presentation Topics:                     

Managing Benzo Withdrawal • July 20, 2021 • Reid Finlayson, MD

Managing Ongoing Symptoms • August 17, 2021 • Arwen Podesta, MD

See benzoreform.org for more information and links to DocTalks.

“How do I find a benzo-wise prescriber?” is a frequently asked question here in the BenzoBuddies Community Forum.

If you are interested in learning what Dr. Steven Wright — a benzodiazepine expert and benzo-wise physician — has to say on this topic, consider attending the upcoming DocTalk hosted by the Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices on June 22, 2021. 

Attendees will also have the opportunity to ask Dr. Wright questions on the general topic of “How do I work with my prescriber?” For example, how do I persuade my prescriber to support a gradual, symptom-based taper?

This virtual meeting will use the Zoom platform.  (If you wish to protect your identity during the meeting, options include creating/using “disposable” email and Zoom accounts and turning off video and audio after you log into the meeting.)

To register, see the first post in this thread.

[21...]

As I am healed, I don't want to waste the spot of someone else that desperately needs it more than me.

But whoever ends up there. Can you please tell these docs to get the word out that Z-Drugs are JUST AS BAD as Benzos? They are not better, and have ZERO advantages.

My GP hooked me on Zopiclone because it's "much safer" than a Benzo. And at my worst, when I would have taken anything to make the torture stop, doc refused Valium because "those are dangerous addictive drugs"

I have to facepalm right now.

I am now healed after about 6-7 years of brutal recovery from hell.  I am sorry but I quit listening to some of Dr. Wright's lectures from this site.  Some is true, but much is lies.  He says that in his entire career he "only saw 2 cases of benzo addiction".  Well I wasn't born yesterday.  I think this site is trying to get rid of the idea that benzos are pretty much killing us.  Word is out and doctors' businesses are hurting, people won't take these meds anymore.  I've been researching for 7 years, and as soon as a website says "addiction is RARE or doesn't exist", I beg you to step away.  You're wasting your time.  He is even suggesting prescribing it for this or that problem.  JESUS!!  How dare you insult us.  I have my concerns that Big Pharma has found a way to sneak into this site and I would just listen to Dr. Ashton and her advise etc.  In fact this is my last post at this site.   

Yeah I listened to him on another podcast and he did sound like he was on our side. But I did sign up for this, and andros I will push that message if I get a chance x

Andros01 and Shayna 78:  Might I reassure you that Dr. Wright and the other members of the Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices leadership team are well aware of dangers of benzodiazepine receptor agonists (BZRAs, which includes benzodiazepines and Z-drugs)?  If you visit the Alliance website (link below) and enter “Z-Drug” in the search box, you will find many resources, including an extensive reference library. (Regrettably, this does not mean that all prescribers have the same level of awareness.  How to address this challenge would be an interesting question to ask Dr. Wright during the Q&A portion of the meeting.)

The Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices

https://benzoreform.org/

I am now healed after about 6-7 years of brutal recovery from hell.  I am sorry but I quit listening to some of Dr. Wright's lectures from this site.  Some is true, but much is lies.  He says that in his entire career he "only saw 2 cases of benzo addiction".  Well I wasn't born yesterday.  I think this site is trying to get rid of the idea that benzos are pretty much killing us.  Word is out and doctors' businesses are hurting, people won't take these meds anymore.  I've been researching for 7 years, and as soon as a website says "addiction is RARE or doesn't exist", I beg you to step away.  You're wasting your time.  He is even suggesting prescribing it for this or that problem.  JESUS!!  How dare you insult us.  I have my concerns that Big Pharma has found a way to sneak into this site and I would just listen to Dr. Ashton and her advise etc.  In fact this is my last post at this site. 

I feel your pain, im in an “out of box” or beyond just benzos situation myself..

We do have to be careful when applying what is intended as broad and more general information to specific and “worst case” situations, I feel that subject would need to be defined clearly as just that lest it appear unrealistic to the majority, -not only for those that never feel the need to join sites such as BB, but even within our community many (as bad as it can be) never get to personally relate to the full extent of what could be possible.. A part of this might be that it can become complex, multi faceted, beyond the general definition of just “Benzo Discontinuation”, thus difficult to address in a credible and broader context..

I hope someone can clarify if im wrong, but I have a vague recollection that Dr Wright was using the term “Addiction” rather specifically and correctly, as opposed to the term Dependance, at least in what I watched a while back.. Muddy are the waters on that one, even the DSM5 definitions make that clear to me from my experiences.. Further, I dont think the two have to be exclusive of each other, compounding the confusion even more..

I guess im just checking exactly how Dr Wright used the term Addiction referenced here..??

:)

I hope someone can clarify if im wrong, but I have a vague recollection that Dr Wright was using the term “Addiction” rather specifically and correctly ....

Greetings, Cantfly.  You are correct. Dr. Wright and the Alliance make a very clear distinction between the terms “addiction” and “physiological dependence.” See below for examples.

The terms “addiction” and “dependence” are used almost interchangeably throughout the literature on benzodiazepines.  However, there are several significant differences between these terms when referring to benzodiazepines .... For these reasons ... we refer to “physiological dependence” on benzodiazepines instead of benzodiazepine addiction.  “Physiological” is used here because the condition may include physical but also psychological characteristics – both of which are not the result of the disease of addiction but of different neurophysiological processes.

Benzodiazepine-related problems are often categorized as “addiction”, when in fact, for the vast majority of those who have difficulties, that diagnosis simply does not apply.

Source:

The Language of Harmful Use

The Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices

https://benzoreform.org/dependence-the-language-of-harmful-use/

True addiction or BzRA use disorder (BUD) occurs but is quite unusual.

Source:

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: Clinical Aspects (authored by Dr. Wright)

The Benzodiazepines Crisis - Oxford University Press

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-benzodiazepines-crisis-9780197517277 

Yes, when I watched videos featuring Dr. Wright, I felt he was being very specific and conscientious about his use of the word "addiction". I believe addiction is one of his areas of specialty, and, as such, he has extensive experience with it.

In one of the videos I watched, he actually apologized to those of us who had gone through hell with benzodiazepine withdrawal. It was rather extraordinary to hear that, and it touched me greatly that he recognized the gravity of what some of us have experienced as a result of taking these medications for extensive periods of time despite the lack of existing research to support its long-term use.

To me, he comes across as a person of integrity who is sincerely trying to lend a hand in an area that is under-served and poorly understood. I appreciate his contributions greatly and hope he will continue to do research in this area.

Cantfly and Lapis2: Our community is indeed fortunate to have you as members.  Thank you for helping to clarify Dr. Wright’s (and the Alliance’s) position on addiction versus physiological dependence.

I agree wholeheartedly with Lapis2’s observation that Dr. Wright “... is person of integrity who is sincerely trying to lend a hand in an area that is under-served and poorly understood.”

Lovely of you to say, Libertas.  :)

I wrote a request to the public library here in my city to request that the book "The Benzodiazepines Crisis", authored by Dr. Steven Wright and his colleagues John Peppin, Joseph V. Pergolizzi and Robert B. Raffa, be made available to members, and they recently honoured my request. I'm really pleased. I've got a couple of books to read before I get to that one, but it's great that our large public library service felt the book would be a valuable addition to the collection (more than one copy, actually!).

For anyone who's interested, here's some info about the book:

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-benzodiazepines-crisis-9780197517277?cc=ca&lang=en&#

And here's the link with author information:

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-benzodiazepines-crisis-9780197517277?cc=ca&lang=en&# 

The blurb for Dr. Wright is as follows:

"Steven Wright, MD, is a residency-trained family physician with a 37-year clinical career. Board-certified in addiction medicine and experienced in medical pain management, he is involved in a variety of roles including medical director of Mountain Medical Care. His clinical interests include the neurophysiology and treatment of pain and addiction, non-opioid analgesia, opioids, benzodiazepines, cannabis, best practices, and systems of care. He is the medical consultant for The Schreiber Research Group and the Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices."

Cantfly and Lapis2: Our community is indeed fortunate to have you as members.  Thank you for helping to clarify Dr. Wright’s (and the Alliance’s) position on addiction versus physiological dependence.

I agree wholeheartedly with Lapis2’s observation that Dr. Wright “... is person of integrity who is sincerely trying to lend a hand in an area that is under-served and poorly understood.”

Im humbled.. -Your generous..!! (Re. Myself, not Lapis..) :)

I do get a bee in my bonnet about the distinction, not due to stigma or whatevs, but my hospital Drs lack of understanding was detrimental to my demise.. -Quite common, I read.. :(

Well I spoke on this, thru tears but I spoke. I just detailed my experience to highlight that sometimes slow tapers aren’t always a successful method off, because he was speaking about tapering.

I am so greatful that dr wright is out there. We need more drs on our team there just isn’t enough.

As I am healed, I don't want to waste the spot of someone else that desperately needs it more than me.

But whoever ends up there. Can you please tell these docs to get the word out that Z-Drugs are JUST AS BAD as Benzos? They are not better, and have ZERO advantages.

My GP hooked me on Zopiclone because it's "much safer" than a Benzo. And at my worst, when I would have taken anything to make the torture stop, doc refused Valium because "those are dangerous addictive drugs"

I have to facepalm right now.

I told my story andros but they included zopiclone in the notes do they are well aware of z drugs. Xx

Just wanted to add my two cents in here. This event was incredible. I'm just starting my taper and to hear a physician actually apologize to everyone out there suffering from this was just really affirming and refreshing. Dr. Wright is very much "benzo-wise" and I picked up a few nuggets of info for my own taper just through his intro. The question and answer period was very informative for me too. Definitely with such a small audience I appreciate other users allowing some of us newbies to participate, but I would recommend the next one highly to anyone.

Just wanted to add my two cents in here. This event was incredible. I'm just starting my taper and to hear a physician actually apologize to everyone out there suffering from this was just really affirming and refreshing. Dr. Wright is very much "benzo-wise" and I picked up a few nuggets of info for my own taper just through his intro. The question and answer period was very informative for me too. Definitely with such a small audience I appreciate other users allowing some of us newbies to participate, but I would recommend the next one highly to anyone.

That's great, agenthall! I'm really pleased for you. And I'm happy to know that Dr. Wright has continued to provide the kind of support and information that is so needed for people going through benzo/Z-drug withdrawal.

FYI The Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices plans to post Dr. Wright’s introductory presentation and slides to its website in the near future.  (As promised, the Alliance did not record the Q&A segment of the meeting.)

FYI The Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices plans to post Dr. Wright’s introductory presentation and slides to its website in the near future.  (As promised, the Alliance did not record the Q&A segment of the meeting.)

:thumbsup: Great News! Will keep checking for it!

If you happen to see it, Libertas, please post it.  :)

I am just seeing this now.  Was this Dr. Wright who is from Colorado or the one from Canada?  Same name.

Also what time are these conversations?  I didn't see it mentioned.

Thanks!

If you happen to see it, Libertas, please post it.  :)

Will do, Lapis2. Tip of the hat to you for persuading your library to acquire a copy of the Benzodiazepine Crisis. (Dr. Wright’s chapter is excellent.)

I am just seeing this now.  Was this Dr. Wright who is from Colorado or the one from Canada?  Same name.

Also what time are these conversations?  I didn't see it mentioned.

Thanks!

Upcoming DocTalks (5-6pm PST):

Managing Benzo Withdrawal • July 20, 2021 • Reid Finlayson, MD

Managing Ongoing Symptoms • August 17, 2021 • Arwen Podesta, MD

The presenter for the first DocTalk was Dr. Steven Wright. He is the Medical Consultant for the Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices (ABBP).  He resides in Colorado.

Dr. James Wright is a member of the Medical Advisory Board for the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (BIC).  He resides in Canada.

Thank you!

I spoke to Dr. Stephen Wright before!  I thought there were two dr. Stephen Wrights... but guess not.

He is really a wonderful person.

OK, thank you for the schedule!