Off Klonopin in a month? Too good to be true?

[Gl...]

My mom has been on Klonopin for years, approximately 1 mg.   She decided to quit just about a month ago, and she's done, off Klonopin. Is this too good to be true? ??? She's never withdrawn before, nor has she ever drank alcohol.   I'm hoping this is it for her, as she's 80 now, and I don't want her having symptoms for years.

On the other hand, she's wondering why I'm still taking Klonopin. :o I started tapering in March 2021 from about 2 mg, plus I've withdrawn from alcohol in the past.  I hope she doesn't keep harassing me about it quitting Klonopin as easily as she did.😂

Sounds to me like she's home free!

I just keep envisioning this sassy granny that has no idea about benzo wd that flushes your supply down the toilet to help you get on with it! LOL  :laugh:

I just keep envisioning this sassy granny that has no idea about benzo wd that flushes your supply down the toilet to help you get on with it! LOL  :laugh:

Thanks for responding, Jelly Baby.  Yeah, it was so easy for her.  Happily, she lives 2 miles away, so she can't flush mine, yay!  But she can't understand why I'm still taking them, and I'm really struggling to be at 1.5 mg.  ::)

[c9...]
Glitter, it's great that your mother was able to get off Klonopin so easily.  Experiences with withdrawl seem to vary so widely that this process can be baffling to understand so give yourself credit for the good progress you've already made.  Some people become a bit zealout-ish after they recover and while sometimes I feel that way, I try not to impose it on other people.  When your mother brings it up, you could just say something like, "I'm making progress" and leave it at that.  She doesn't have to know any more than that anyway.

Thanks for responding, Jelly Baby.  Yeah, it was so easy for her.  Happily, she lives 2 miles away, so she can't flush mine, yay!  But she can't understand why I'm still taking them, and I'm really struggling to be at 1.5 mg.  ::)

I'm sorry that you're struggling. It must be difficult not getting the support you need from your mom. If it's any consolation, I'm very close to my mom and she doesn't get it either. She's been one of my closest support systems throughout my life. I think in her case it's just old age. I now just avoid the subject and don't talk about it because it aggrevates my situation.

Glitter, it's great that your mother was able to get off Klonopin so easily.  Experiences with withdrawl seem to vary so widely that this process can be baffling to understand so give yourself credit for the good progress you've already made.  Some people become a bit zealout-ish after they recover and while sometimes I feel that way, I try not to impose it on other people.  When your mother brings it up, you could just say something like, "I'm making progress" and leave it at that.  She doesn't have to know any more than that anyway.

Thank you, Kate, for the encouragement.  I really appreciate you, and  I like your advice and will definitely take it.  :smitten:

I'm sorry that you're struggling. It must be difficult not getting the support you need from your mom. If it's any consolation, I'm very close to my mom and she doesn't get it either. She's been one of my closest support systems throughout my life. I think in her case it's just old age. I now just avoid the subject and don't talk about it because it aggrevates my situation.

Jelly baby, I can relate to what you said, your mom being one of your closest support systems.  Sorry, she doesn't get it either.  I am REALLY going to try my best to avoid the subject if possible.  What you said helps a lot.  Thank you!  :smitten:

I think that there are people that get off them much easily than others. I'm not quite sure why that is. I remember my pdoc insisting that I was some sort of rare case when I was struggling through a taper. I wonder if it has to do with changes the gaba receptors make and that some don't really make those kind of changes so the issues are minimal. But I think there are enough people that go through hell that it has now become black box warnings. Your mom is lucky and I'm glad for her.

I think that there are people that get off them much easily than others. I'm not quite sure why that is. I remember my pdoc insisting that I was some sort of rare case when I was struggling through a taper. I wonder if it has to do with changes the gaba receptors make and that some don't really make those kind of changes so the issues are minimal. But I think there are enough people that go through hell that it has now become black box warnings. Your mom is lucky and I'm glad for her.

Wow, you were the typical case.  It's too bad your pdoc didn't realize that. 

I'm concerned, since my mom tapered so quickly and easily, her doctor will think that's what's normal, though it seems that was already his belief.

From what I've heard, if we've ever withdrawn from alcohol or benzos before, it's much, much more difficult.  But who knows, since so many here have a rough time tapering.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I appreciate it, UnknownOrigin.  :)

Glitter,

I am happy for your mom and I am also happy for you. You're two different people and your story is more typical than hers. I would probably do the same thing as you and not bring it up and hope the subject dies quickly. That's difficult when your taper (I speak for myself) is such a big part of your life.

Good for you on your progress. You don't need to talk to your mom about your taper. You can come here.

HM

Glitter,

I am happy for your mom and I am also happy for you. You're two different people and your story is more typical than hers. I would probably do the same thing as you and not bring it up and hope the subject dies quickly. That's difficult when your taper (I speak for myself) is such a big part of your life.

Good for you on your progress. You don't need to talk to your mom about your taper. You can come here.

HM

Thank you, HM. 🤗 I hope to never talk about it with her again.  I'm glad for her, especially because of her age.

Glitter,

HM

Thank you, HM. 🤗 I hope to never talk about it with her again.  I'm glad for her, especially because of her age.

Have a super Tuesday. Hope your taper is going well. I'm hanging in there with mine. I have some GAD that is manageable and, of course, my buddy that won't leave me alone; insomnia, but, other that that, it is doable.

Glitter,

HM

Have a super Tuesday. Hope your taper is going well. I'm hanging in there with mine. I have some GAD that is manageable and, of course, my buddy that won't leave me alone; insomnia, but, other that that, it is doable.

Thanks, HM, hoping you have a great Tuesday as well.  I'm trying to figure out what GAD is, lol.  Gosh, sorry about your insomnia.  Insomnia has been my unwelcome buddy most of my life.  Benzos helped a lot and still do, surprisingly.  That may end at some point.

I had a co-worker who essentially did a (CT) rapid taper from 20 mgs of valium that he had taken for several years. He stepped off in 5 mg increments and in about 2 weeks, he was off and said a very mild headache was the only bothersome SX he really experienced. I could not believe this when he told me. It really left me SMH.

*Congrats. to your mom Glitter!  :thumbsup:

I had a co-worker who essentially did a (CT) rapid taper from 20 mgs of valium that he had taken for several years. He stepped off in 5 mg increments and in about 2 weeks, he was off and said a very mild headache was the only bothersome SX he really experienced. I could not believe this when he told me. It really left me SMH.

*Congrats. to your mom Glitter!  :thumbsup:

Thanks, AntiBenzo, wow, if we could only have it so easy.  I admire them.  I can barely taper without major symptoms, like most here.  ???