Please help feel really sick after taking a nap??

[Mo...]

I took a nap yesterday slept about 2 1/2 hours. I woke up with severe anxiety, leg pain, chest tightness etc. I have was up early again today decided take another nap never really got a deep sleep but laid their for 2 hours same thing happened but worse numb arms pins in needles in my hands chest tightness off the chart coughed for a minute? Anxiety all kind of weird symptoms? If I just go to bed at night wake up in the morning I have chest tightness and my Usual bladder pain and a little foggy but not like after I wake from a nap anyone ever experience this? If so how did you feel?

Thanks

Phil

Yes, this is very common, it's a toxic nap. I'm unable to sleep at all during the day otherwise I wake up feeling absolutely horrible! This gets better in time I'm told.

LiveLife

Yes, I hate those toxic naps and do everything I can to hold them off.  Twice when I did nod off, I woke up in a panic with an awful headache.  As I type this, I am desperately trying to stay awake.  It is quite common for BBs to find napping unpleasant, thus, the name “toxic” naps!

Yup, I have a whole range of symptoms I only get with a toxic day nap, -all the flight n fight type stuff, both physical and mental.. It eases off at my better tapering points between cuts, -well until tolerance symptoms started to dominate.. Now a cut helps a bit, but direct WD symptoms obviously increase for a while.. 

I keep the saying “Its the meds, not ME” pretty handy..

:)

😳 omg. I wondered many times why this happened to me when I was trying to take a nap.  I got up from napping much worse, I see that it is quite common.

Yep, I have suffered from the toxic nap too; with so much broken sleep I would love nothing more than to take a nap with my three year old but instead I just lay down with her until she falls asleep and then I meditate, listen to podcasts, or take a shower.  A real, non-toxic nap sounds so wonderful right now, but I’d take not having broken sleep at this point.  :'(

I took a nap yesterday slept about 2 1/2 hours. I woke up with severe anxiety, leg pain, chest tightness etc. I have was up early again today decided take another nap never really got a deep sleep but laid their for 2 hours same thing happened but worse numb arms pins in needles in my hands chest tightness off the chart coughed for a minute? Anxiety all kind of weird symptoms? If I just go to bed at night wake up in the morning I have chest tightness and my Usual bladder pain and a little foggy but not like after I wake from a nap anyone ever experience this? If so how did you feel?

Thanks

Phil

I had the toxic naps.Whenever I nodded off,I woke up always feeling like poisoned.Around my 6th month they disappeared.I was so happy to have began napping normally.Things we take for granted.

Bexlan

Toxic Naps. Their the worst, aren't they? I'd barely nod off and quickly awaken to the worst feeling ever. Head pain, head pressure, nerves just going haywire. And severe internal vibrations. It was awful. Now ,not so much. I can doze off for a few minutes and then I wake up with mild internal vibrations. It'll get better and symptoms will get less intense. Wishing you healing

yup they fade. I don't nap often but lately if I do, its not traumatic lol. Its..normal. never thought I'd say this!!

Time - everything takes time.

[98...]
I have been insanely sleepy all day every day for weeks but I don't dare take a nap! If I ever fall asleep I wake up feeling so horrid - anxiety, shaking, vomiting - just like I do first thing in the morning. I sure hope this gets better!

I have been insanely sleepy all day every day for weeks but I don't dare take a nap! If I ever fall asleep I wake up feeling so horrid - anxiety, shaking, vomiting - just like I do first thing in the morning. I sure hope this gets better!

Do you take an antidepressant fluffer? Or anything else?

If not, I would research Flumazenil IV treatment.  See what you think of what you find.

I'll be 1 year this month. I still can't nap but can get close when meditating. Honestly I try not to fall asleep during the day because I won't be able to sleep at night. I sleep about 6-7 hours nearly every night. I DO NOT want to disrupt this! From what I've read about toxic naps...I'm very hesitant to try a nap. Even after my 1 year milestone. There were a few times when I got close to a nap that I began to feel weird and it started a wave. So I'm going to wait a few more months. Yes toxic naps are real and  common.

[98...]
FoeHammer777, I do sublingual and topical flumazenil nightly. I do think it helps. I wish it would cure me, haha! I can't travel yet - too sick - but would do a treatment IV when I can.

Take a rainy day, sprinkle in a high carb lunch and sinus pressure, and Boom, fall asleep.  I have now awakened to that poisoned feeling!  Headache, dry mouth, and the ick component!  Now it can just blend in with the rest of my symptoms and keep me entertained until lights out.  I must say I am not getting all hyper about it, so that is a positive😊😊😊

Hugs,

GG/PP

• 1 month later...
[98...]
Clarifying post - I am not providing medical advice. If you felt that I did, I apologize. Please check with you doctor on any medicine. I am not advising to do anything without the advice of your doctor.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This just happened to me.  I tried my hardest not to nap because I know what happens.  I think it's a bit like an automobile.  When you take a benzo, your body is sort of slowed down.  We end up getting tired but our engine is still running.  The car stops, but the engine is still on.  When we wake up from a nap, we wake up and the car is in gear and we are driving it.  There's no time to enjoy the wake up cycle we have to drive the car right away. 

That's the best I can think of to describe the feeling.  The physical side is also somehow full of more pains etc.  It just better off to stay awake for me.  I will nap again one day and it will be pleasant.  I will get there, you will too!

United we stand and let's make sure for generations that follow that they wont have to go through this like we did.

All the best everyone

Bennie

This was a terrible symptom that I had. It was a feeling of being tired/wired 24/7, and whenever I started to relax, I felt like I had the bends and was coming up for air if I nodded off. It shifted and got much, much better around four months off Ativan. I took a nap the other day and felt crappy after, but I did not feel like I was suddenly being a raw nerve torn out of a deep hole and dumped into a panic. I just woke up and felt groggy, like usual. It will change. You will be able to nap again it just may take some time. I was also able to have a massage and nod off without that terrible bends feeling.

This was a terrible symptom that I had. It was a feeling of being tired/wired 24/7, and whenever I started to relax, I felt like I had the bends and was coming up for air if I nodded off. It shifted and got much, much better around four months off Ativan. I took a nap the other day and felt crappy after, but I did not feel like I was suddenly being a raw nerve torn out of a deep hole and dumped into a panic. I just woke up and felt groggy, like usual. It will change. You will be able to nap again it just may take some time. I was also able to have a massage and nod off without that terrible bends feeling.

Rebecca, if you are already napping you will be healed in no time. It took me into year 3 before I could nap and even now I still get toxic naps on occasion.

I still get them at nearly 4 years.  Not as bad as previously, where was catapulted into a state of terror.  They pass more quickly now, and am left 'just' with anxiety.  Small mercies.  :)

Omg, they are horrible.