Muscle Pain From Benzo Withdrawal

[fl...]

I was prescribed valium for about 7 months and took approx 50 pills (5 mg each) over that time.  I stopped cold turkey because I did not know (and was never told) about tapering. 

Effects have been horrible.  Just over 8 months off now and still having some severe back/side muscle pains.  Unrelenting most of the time.  There have been a few days when the symptoms have eased but the longest time period for me has only been about 2 to 3 days before the really bad symptoms come back. 

Hoping that this pain will stop soon. 

Some people have written on BenzoBuddies that they had severe symptoms for many months and then suddenly everything improved very quickly. - like over night or over a short period of maybe just a few weeks. Just wondering how common it is for this to happen?

Thanks for any input and help.

Welcome

Congrats on getting of of the valium before it did any more damage.  It may not feel like it, but your brain is in the process of healing and returning to normal. The post cessation period usually takes  18 months. However, there really is no way to know. It could be sooner, or later.

The symptoms you are experiencing are normal. They wont hurt you, but they sure can be overwhelming.

Back  pain can be relieved with massage, gentle exercise like yoga, and a hot tub or hot baths. I have left back and side pain, and use a device called a hydro massage at my gym. It works wonders.

"What is happening in your brain," is a wonderful place to start your self education. It explains why we experience all the things we do, and that they are all signs of healing. You will now doubt see your symptoms in that list.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=240053.0

This is a good board for you to seek support:

cold turkey/rapid:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=133.0

We are happy to have you join us

-The BB team

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, heat (hot water) and swimming do help a lot.

Thanks also for the link to the other message board.

I hope that I can report back that I am feeling much better in a few months.

Keep up the great work - I only found this site by accident.

The pain is mostly an intense cramping/throbbing/burning type pain involving the muscles. 

Very variable in intensity and location.  Mostly in my lower back but it can spread down to my thigh, lower leg and even feet.  It is nearly always on my right side but sometimes it will affect my left leg & foot.  It can also be on my abdomen some days. 

Very hard to predict what it will be like day to day.  I am convinced it is the muscles though that are still in spasms.

Mostly non-stop with very little relief.

Thanks for your reply.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.