Have to do a super quick taper please help!

[Sa...]

Just to preface - I do not have a doctor and I have no ability to get anymore. Seizure is my biggest fear, so if that is something you will mention please kindly skip this post. I cannot handle anymore fear of seizing/brain damage.

My situation is I have been taking 1.5mg for quite a while I have very recently dropped to 1mg. I planned on being able to get more to do a slow taper this month but it didn’t work out like this. So I now have 10 1mg footballs of Xan & that is it. I would like to do a liquid taper but am very confused. Also - I don’t know if it is even possible to taper that quickly and survive. I cannot go to detox that’s not even an option and my psychiatrist doesn’t know the truth. I have to do this on my own, hence why I’m here begging for help and support. I need advice on the best way to use what I have to taper as much as possible to prevent seizing. If anyone has ANY suggestions - please, please reach out. I am so very scared and that is making this so much more difficult. I’ve had some people tell me 1mg can be detoxed quickly (a person said the doctor at their detox took them off 1mg in 3 days only). Success stories welcome. Thank you all in advance.

Thank you for outlining your situation and I know someone will stop by to help you plan your taper so I'm here to reassure you that you can do this and do this safely.  Seizures are rare and you're going to taper so the chances of you having one are remote.

We suggest tapers not so much to prevent seizures but to ease withdrawal symptoms as you do this but if a quick taper is what you need to do then you can and will be successful.  The symptoms you feel may be harsh but they'll be survivable, I did a cold turkey and while it was horrific I recovered in the average time frame so a rapid or cold turkey withdrawal does not set you up for protracted symptoms. 

Just so you know, most members dry cut their pills to freedom if you'd like to go that route, its much easier.

How many times a day are you dosing and how do you feel after your .5 mg reduction.

I did a Xanax liquid taper recently. You can see details in my signature. You will get a 100ml liquid, and you can use accordingly.

How are you feeling after dropping from 1.5mg to 1mg? Are you stable and functional?

I would make a 100ml solution and make it last a few days. It will hurt every day, but that is how fast tapering is. 

At some point you will run out of pills, and you will have to manage it.

This was by far the most helpful comment I’ve received on all platforms !!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. I ended up being able to get some more so I have even more time to taper but I have been really wanting to do a liquid taper but was so overwhelmed by measuring/converting. That really simplified it for me and I can’t wait to try the liquid method! Thank you again

Hugs from a fellow Xanax taperer...(dont know how to do the "hug" emoji on here, sorry)...

But been down this desperation road last year....am relatively stabilized (for the time being) at .5 mg...I purchased more Xanax, this time .25's...(had .5's before to cut) I am doing a dry cut taper versus the liquid...just my preference..

Everyone is different in their tapers...which is cool..never know, I may switch to a liquid suspension later this year...I take each day as it comes...

Not gonna tell you it is EASY..everyone walks different roads, my dear...the struggles come and go...:/

Message me anytime if you feel like venting, talking, etc..

Good luck in your Xanax sojourn..:)

Cinna 8)

This was by far the most helpful comment I’ve received on all platforms !!!!!

Good to know. Hope this works for you. Note, that you should dissolve the Xanax in vodka for about 10 mins and then add the water. In my experience, this was shelf stable, and I kept it in a dark cool place (in the closet).

Your fast tapering may have your feeling things and anxiety may increase. Deep breathing exercises help. Do them often and regularly. Keep yourself busy with life, and you could try to take your dosage at night (hopefully this allows a good night of sleep).

Let us know how this goes for you.

Thanks.

This was by far the most helpful comment I’ve received on all platforms !!!!!

Good to know. Hope this works for you. Note, that you should dissolve the Xanax in vodka for about 10 mins and then add the water. It is shelf stable, and you should keep it in a dark cool place (closet it fine).

Hey darkarchon!

I'm so glad you're here and able to share your experience with your recent Xanax daily liquid discard taper.

I'm guessing the bolded statement is based on your experience during your taper. Is that correct? Otherwise I'd be interested to know how you verified that a 0.8% alcohol solution containing traces of lactose and corn starch was shelf stable and for how long.

Thanks!

I'm guessing the bolded statement is based on your experience during your taper. Is that correct? Otherwise I'd be interested to know how you verified that a 0.8% alcohol solution containing traces of lactose and corn starch was shelf stable and for how long.

You are correct. This is based on my personal experience. I will amend my original post. Thanks!

You are correct. This is based on my personal experience. I will amend my original post. Thanks!

Thanks for clarifying your post!  :smitten:

Sarah1006,

Keep us posted on your taper and your progress. I am tapering off Xanax using a liquid taper too, right now. I'm only 5.5 weeks in but I am using a method where nothing is wasted because I, too, am worried about losing my Rx at some point. I have managed OK so far but as you get lower in dose, it can get harder. At least I have read that many times. Hope you're doing well.

HM

but I am using a method where nothing is wasted because I, too

My tapering approach was also to waste nothing. If there was a little bit left over, I would use it in the next batch. This worked for me.

darkarchon,

So far the liquid taper is working for me. My only real symptom is insomnia. As much as that sucks, I am grateful I am not dealing (yet) with other painful WD symptoms.

Sarah,

How's it going with your Xanax taper? What did you decide to do? How are you feeling?

HM

darkarchon,

So far the liquid taper is working for me. My only real symptom is insomnia. As much as that sucks, I am grateful I am not dealing (yet) with other painful WD symptoms.

Awesome. If it is working, then keep it going. When do you take your dosage? Before bed? Or in the morning?

darkarchon,

I am paranoid about interdose withdrawals so I take my Xanax every 3 hours. I miss sometimes at night and, so far, it hasn't caused me any problems. I realize as my dose(s) get much smaller, I'll have to lower the number of times I dose until it's eventually one, then none. I plan on tapering down to 1 dose of 1 ml a day which = .01 mg Xanax. That won't be for a few months.

HM

darkarchon,

I am paranoid about interdose withdrawals so I take my Xanax every 3 hours.

HM

As per Wikipedia, Xanax (Alprazolam) has a duration of action of 6 hours (the length of time that particular drug is effective). You could stretch your dosage out a bit more, if you wanted. Also, a dose at night could help with insomnia.

darkarchon,

maybe I'll spread my doses out a little bit. I had insomnia on my full dose so I doubt if it would help with that but it doesn't hurt to try. I was having such bad paradox and interdose that, 6 weeks ago, when I started I immediately cut to 2 mg from 4 mg to avoid paradox and started taking .25 mg every 3 hours to avoid interdose.

Now that I have come this far and my symptoms (albeit miserable) have remained fairly stable, maybe I will dose 3 times a day instead of 7. Worst case, I have to go back to frequent dosing. I could try dosing at 9am, 3pm and 9pm. I just hope I wouldn't be kindling my brain by upping my doses to take them less frequently.

HM